PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Netherlands / south london

geoffersmaher
01-03-2017, 12:52
Hello every one
Been led to or on this forum a few times but never joined, not sure why!:mental:

Was in south London. Lot of family up north. From doncaster.
Well I moved to the Netherlands a couple of months ago with my lady on a whim haha. So with a lot more time on my hands without work or a flat yet I'd thought I'd better get too it.

Always loved gadgets and audio since the days of my dad's sansui set up in the 80s as a kid, sold most of my records, Kenwood 21 series, cds etc and got into cars.
But when I got 30 I got back into it so been collecting bits for the last couple of years. Both audio and av stuff.

Sadly at the moment with nowhere to put it the kit is in storage :(

Won't bore you with the av stuff and my audio kit is really nothing much but none of it has cost me more than 100 quid bar the record player.

Always buying bits and bobs and trying them so may well change. Also the Mrs' dad is a Dutch audio nut and wants to donate some speaker cable and interconnects he doesn't use don't know what they are but knowing him they will be good. Will let you know.when income out.
So will save all that for a set up thread.

So current storage set up is as follows

Project debut carbon
QED purple interconnects, to.... ( forget which ones but they were freebies and better than the richer sounds ones I had)
Project mm phono box , to.... ( Also I picked up a heed Questar for cheap before I left as I thought the project probably let the system down, tho sounded fine to me. But it was too cheap to say no to.

Cyrus 5 integrated amp ( bought this as a job lot with a dad 3 and also a FM radio but sold these on as didn't like the sound of the CD in comparison to what I have that and it made the amp free :D )

A Denon 3930 DVD player , yeah I'm sure this will upset the purists but I tried some nad's Cyrus and also lesser denons and marantz, but to me it sounded the most clear and open, plus has the benefits of dvda and SACD not that I have loads.)
This is connected with some atlas explorer cables. (I'd love some more of these at not silly money if anyone knows of any)
AUDIOQUEST FLX-SLiP 14/4 speaker cable bi wired to

Some b&w 602 s3

Atacama stands and an old sound style rack which I'll change at some point

Oh and an Amazon echo dot for some internet sounds

Hmmmmm maybe I should have saved that for the set ups part of the forum. But I'd like to do it with pics etc and can't do that till I have somewhere to put it.

So what else about me? I'll pretty much listen to everything, cliché I know. But it varies from rock, classical, hip hop & rap, edm, jazz, folk, blues, disco, soul etc etc.

Anything you wanna know just ask

Hope to get to know folk and improve my system with the help of the forum
Would love to mod the Denon but not sure I have the skills but I'll try anything once haha I can weld a car so how hard can soldering be !:rolleyes:

Anyway have a good day people

i2Paq
02-03-2017, 07:51
Hallo van een Nederlander (Hello from a Dutchman)

So why the move to The Netherlands and how long are you here for?

geoffersmaher
02-03-2017, 09:28
Hallo van een Nederlander (Hello from a Dutchman)

So why the move to The Netherlands and how long are you here for?

Hallo!
Dankjewel for the Dutch. I've learnt a little.

Well I moved because I was getting tired of London life, and also the classic, I met a wonderful Dutch lady and we're now engaged.
Basically I kept coming to the Netherlands an then going back to London and thinking why am I doing this, the people the places all so much nicer. So I moved.

I hope to stay permanently

So where about are you in the Netherlands?

i2Paq
02-03-2017, 11:28
i live in Noord-Holland, in Winkel that is, near Schagen. You know :D

That classic happened to me to, met my wife 13 years ago and move from Utrecht to Winkel, leaving everything behind.
You did it on a larger scale.

So you are waiting on you stuff to get moved to The Netherlands?

geoffersmaher
02-03-2017, 13:48
i live in Noord-Holland, in Winkel that is, near Schagen. You know :D

That classic happened to me to, met my wife 13 years ago and move from Utrecht to Winkel, leaving everything behind.
You did it on a larger scale.

So you are waiting on you stuff to get moved to The Netherlands?

I know winkel well! My fiancé's parents lived there. They're now in den Bosch it's a very nice part of the world.
I hope to move to den Bosch as well. Maybe in a couple of years to settle down.

No last year we moved all our stuff into storage in Rotterdam. But for now I'm floating around till I can get work and a proper bsn etc then I'll prob stay in Rotterdam for a while as I'm a city boy at heart.

Really can't wait to get settled though.

struth
02-03-2017, 19:41
Hi Geoff, hope you enjoy the forum. Nice intro my friend. ..and nowt wrong with dvd players as source.. Ive got a few.

walpurgis
03-03-2017, 00:03
Hi Geoff. Welcome from another Geoff. (we have a few here :))

Welding a car is harder than soldering a Denon, so give it a go.

There's loads going on here, so take a look around and join in the fun.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

i2Paq
03-03-2017, 09:26
I know winkel well! My fiancé's parents lived there. They're now in den Bosch it's a very nice part of the world.
I hope to move to den Bosch as well. Maybe in a couple of years to settle down.

No last year we moved all our stuff into storage in Rotterdam. But for now I'm floating around till I can get work and a proper bsn etc then I'll prob stay in Rotterdam for a while as I'm a city boy at heart.

Really can't wait to get settled though.

What are the odds?! :eek:

geoffersmaher
03-03-2017, 10:10
Hi Geoff, hope you enjoy the forum. Nice intro my friend. ..and nowt wrong with dvd players as source.. Ive got a few.

Phew a brother in arms. What do you use? Is it modified? I went for the 3930 because I'd heard good things and at 100 quid it seemed a god price.

struth
03-03-2017, 10:54
Phew a brother in arms. What do you use? Is it modified? I went for the 3930 because I'd heard good things and at 100 quid it seemed a god price.

I have a denon 2900 upstairs and a couple of pioneer 717s . I play the pioneer through my modded mf buffer. Sounds superb. Used to use a dac external but dont need one now since i modded the buffer. The big denon plays anything. I recently fitted a new laser to it. Its quite a machine inside

geoffersmaher
03-03-2017, 14:21
I have a denon 2900 upstairs and a couple of pioneer 717s . I play the pioneer through my modded mf buffer. Sounds superb. Used to use a dac external but dont need one now since i modded the buffer. The big denon plays anything. I recently fitted a new laser to it. Its quite a machine inside

Yeah that's the one thing I noticed after the 2900 I had and the nad's and Cyrus I had. The weight and build quality is just unreal. I don't know what an mf buffer is ha but I'm hear to learn.
Not listened to the 717 but I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cheap one and give it a listen.

geoffersmaher
03-03-2017, 14:24
Hi Geoff. Welcome from another Geoff. (we have a few here :))

Welding a car is harder than soldering a Denon, so give it a go.

There's loads going on here, so take a look around and join in the fun.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

A thanks for the welcome.
Yeah it's easy to say give it a try if you can do it ;)
I was thinking when I'm a bit more settled to give it a try on a crap old CD player. Maybe pick one up for 10 quid.

struth
03-03-2017, 14:27
717 dvd and 737 are good transports. Better with an outboard dac. My buffer amp is being used instead .. totally different thing of course but i like the way it presents itself. Gives a better impedence match between cd and amp i think, and imv it helps. Others will say no... thats their privillage.

geoffersmaher
03-03-2017, 20:04
717 dvd and 737 are good transports. Better with an outboard dac. My buffer amp is being used instead .. totally different thing of course but i like the way it presents itself. Gives a better impedence match between cd and amp i think, and imv it helps. Others will say no... thats their privillage.

What dac do you run outside of the player? Also is the buffer amp something inboard or again something separate?

Sorry for the questions