PDA

View Full Version : Problem logging on to Moode / Volumio with no internet access

The Black Adder
01-03-2017, 11:31
Hi all.

Due to some problems with god awful TalkTalk. I now have no internet access apart from my phone which isn't the best.

Anyway... When I now try to log on to Moode/Volumio using the Moode/local or the direct ip address the address changes to a Talktalk help page saying 'you have no access, let's get you connected'. I can still log on to my router and change the settings but I've no idea what to do with that.

Does anyone know how I can stop it automatically going to the Talktalk page and connect to Moode/volumio?

Many thanks
Jo

struth
01-03-2017, 11:47
Sounds like the dns is trying to go out on internet. What are you typing in bar? Did you clear the cache? Putting the local ip should technically work but if router needs to speak to basecamp first as can happen you might not manage it. I dont know talks ways as never used them. I can do it on plusnet, although its easier on pc.
There is a moode name you can type in too which might work.
I,d post the query on the moode help page. Plenty ip genius,s in the forum jo. Its in digi too.

The Black Adder
01-03-2017, 11:57
Hi grant.

I'm typing volumio.local/

and then it automatically changes to:

192.168.1.1/html/selfhelp/helpmain.asp

struth
01-03-2017, 12:03
Hi grant.

I'm typing volumio.local/

and then it automatically changes to:

192.168.1.1/html/selfhelp/helpmain.asp

Try various ips from 2 up to say 15 at end instead of 1... ie. 192.168.1.2. Then 192.168.1.3 etc. You obviously need to have wifi on and phones own 3g off. Fing would tell you exactly the local ip. You could try downloading from 3g then run it on wifi with 3g off

The Black Adder
01-03-2017, 12:15
Ah...Many Thanks, grant. Your a starbar. It's working with 1.7 :)

struth
01-03-2017, 12:31
Great. :)

Stratmangler
01-03-2017, 13:11
You could reserve the IP address for the RasPi in the router settings - at least then your player won't go walkabout on the network.
What happens every now and then is the router will reallocate all of the dynamically provided addresses, and that's usually the point when someone pops up asking for help.
By the look of it Moode goes off to a remote server which then looks back to the user end to find the device.

What's up with your broadband connection? Is the line noisy?
It's a bit unfair calling Talk Talk - their service is provided by AN Other (ie BT).

struth
01-03-2017, 13:22
Most services wont let you reserve unless you pay. I know mine doesnt.. my moode was stuck at 13 for about a year but when i added something to my list of equipment it moved it to 15 now. Dont think jo,s quibble is with the broadband persay, its with their admin.

Stratmangler
01-03-2017, 13:37
What, on your local (home) network?
Don't be daft ...

I'm not talking about static IP addresses on WAN. You do have to pay for that.

struth
01-03-2017, 13:41
Well router doesnt have a bit in advanced to lock down an ip. I tried this a while ago when it changed every other day. Seems to have stopped that now. Dunno why tho. I use fing to keep track of where everything is anyway so its not a prob. Best app out there imo. Fancy one of there boxes actually, but money is tight at moment so its on the wish list. Tbh ive got way too many wifi stuff and will run out of ips soon

Stratmangler
01-03-2017, 13:59
I can reserve IP addresses for specific things on my router.
I'd have thought it possible on most other routers - it certainly seems to be the case on most of the ones I've seen when I have to play with them at work.

In my case the Squeezebox Touch players (both of them), the NAS (which runs Logitech Media Server), and the printer all have reserved addresses.
I ended up doing it (reserving the IP addresses) because the router was renewing IP leases every few days, and it was screwing up the Squeezebox setup.
Things have been nice and stable since.

I only had the problem raise its head when Virgin increased my broadband speed, and they sent me a new router to handle the speed increase.
The new router is from Netgear, as was the previous one, yet the new one started playing silly beggars with my LAN IPs, whereas the previous one just behaved itself.

struth
01-03-2017, 14:07
Im with plusnet fibre. Router is ok as it does its job i guess but its not as good a service as it was. I would move but its finding someone better. Its reasonably quick for ftb at about 28 but the wifi is a bit patchy upstairs. Might get the band changed. Was hoping some company would come up with a good deal with extras like tv for same money and not 60 quid connection fee but not so far. Virgin keep saying they are coming to my street soon, but im getting old and cant wait til im 100 to get it :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
01-03-2017, 14:31
WiFi analyser is a good tool for checking out which of your neighbours is on the same channel as your router.

Kit1cat
01-03-2017, 14:31
You might find it easier to set a static ip address in moode network config, I use 192.168.2.98.

struth
01-03-2017, 15:03
WiFi analyser is a good tool for checking out which of your neighbours is on the same channel as your router.

Will give that a spin chris,

LC1979
01-03-2017, 15:03
Great tip, Kit1cat, thanks.

struth
01-03-2017, 15:42

Found it on android.. seems good. Im on channel 11 and everyone else around me is on 4,5,6. They look to all have basic bb. I seem to be only one on fibre

The Black Adder
01-03-2017, 16:06
Hi. We are moving house and asked Talktalk to set a new line up in the new place whilst disconnecting this one. But things didn't work out.so I cancelled the disconnection but they just disconnected us anyway.... Talktalk imo are utter garbage and I'm seriously not happy with them. We were also getting 3 to 4 calls a day from scammers saying they were from Talktalk telling me that my router was downloading data. That started after we changed our details.

Simon_LDT
01-03-2017, 22:49
I've always been able to set IP address for my connections (laptop, desktop, etc) as I always used to get an IP clash where both were given the same whenever both were powered on at the same time. I ended up just reserving them each a seperate IP. I did the same with my RPi. Not only do I never have any trouble with it connecting but as I know it's address I can easily type it in and the UI comes straight up, no need to search for the IP it's been given.

Sometimes this feature can only be found in advanced settings in the router menu.

Kit1cat
02-03-2017, 08:53
I've always been able to set IP address for my connections (laptop, desktop, etc) as I always used to get an IP clash where both were given the same whenever both were powered on at the same time. I ended up just reserving them each a seperate IP. I did the same with my RPi. Not only do I never have any trouble with it connecting but as I know it's address I can easily type it in and the UI comes straight up, no need to search for the IP it's been given.

Sometimes this feature can only be found in advanced settings in the router menu.

When I first started using moode that is what I hoped to do, then I discovered none of my routers supported that option (old Belkin routers), but the problem was solved when Tim added the option to moode network config.

LC1979
02-03-2017, 08:55
That's exactly what I have done last night. I initially tried doing it through the Moode settings, changed some setting to static thinking that would do it (I very often don't know what I'm doing), but it bricked the Pi and I had to reinstall the image. Turns out it was very easy to do in the router settings.

Kit1cat
02-03-2017, 09:28
That's exactly what I have done last night. I initially tried doing it through the Moode settings, changed some setting to static thinking that would do it (I very often don't know what I'm doing), but it bricked the Pi and I had to reinstall the image. Turns out it was very easy to do in the router settings.

That is the easiest way if your router supports it, it took me a while to obtain all the ip addresses I needed to set it up in moode network config, can't remember quite how I managed it, but I did remember to write the values down :)