PDA

View Full Version : Cardas Record

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
02-01-2010, 16:23
Hi Guys

I bought quite a while ago the Cardas Record Frequency Sweep. I’m sure this has been mentioned before, but will do so again, after been reminded by a good mate of mine from another forum.

For the first time in a while I had a good long session playing music, mainly vinyl, as I had a few LP’s I had bought recently and not yet played. After a few LP’s had been spinning I put the Cardas Record onto the TT.

I ran the Cardas Record, on the long frequency sweep. Then played the same previously play LP’s. Right from the start there is more Presence of sound, instruments had a more precise focus and as daft as it sounds the frequency extremes were more extended and defined. There is a more coherent and engaging sound form the music.

Make of that what you will, I can’t give an explanation of how or why it works. I aren’t that bother why either, it just does.

From my point of view it is a well worthy accessory for my musical enjoyment.

Andy - SDDW

chris@panteg
02-01-2010, 18:27
i have one of these ' they do work ' i don't really understand how ' either .

03-01-2010, 11:19
i have one of these ' they do work ' i don't really understand how ' either .

Chris

Good to hear I'm not the only one who likes this product.

I tried it again last night and the changes were less obvious, so it is not something you need to do at every playing, just a sort of tune up of the system every now and again.
Still well worth having it, as useful as the other tools needed to keep the TT in fine fettle.

Andy - SDDW

chris@panteg
03-01-2010, 12:13
Hi Andy

Yes i find it very useful every now and then ' also it seems to revitalize my cartridge ' after extended use that is .

Keep it always:)

Alex_UK
03-01-2010, 19:08
I tried it again last night and the changes were less obvious

Depends if you only had one sock on or two, or if you had written a message in a cd case before starting, I reckon... ;)

03-01-2010, 20:48
Alex I think I was wearing these at the time;

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/OddSocks.jpg

As for the message on in the CD case. Never had the need since I passed out to be practitioner in the 'Dark Arts'

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/Cauldron.jpg

Have you tried the Cardas, you may or may not be surprised at the result.

Andy - SDDW

Alex_UK
03-01-2010, 20:55
LOL! No, Andy, I've not tried it, to be honest my system is so lo-fi I doubt I would notice if I was playing a sock instead anyway! I was just having a little bit of fun at the expense of "Shippy" (Soundhaspriority) - you may or may not have seen the posts of his a while back, heavily promoting "Beltism" - and my post was a bad attempt at a joke - sorry, no offence intended to you or the Cardas product.

Themis
03-01-2010, 21:01
What I find nice about this product is that it has a fair price. :)

chris@panteg
03-01-2010, 21:02
Alex ' you have a nice system ' not lo-fi in my book ' love that project deck ' and the Creek's were always excellent amp's .

03-01-2010, 21:49
LOL! No, Andy, I've not tried it, to be honest my system is so lo-fi I doubt I would notice if I was playing a sock instead anyway! I was just having a little bit of fun at the expense of "Shippy" (Soundhaspriority) - you may or may not have seen the posts of his a while back, heavily promoting "Beltism" - and my post was a bad attempt at a joke - sorry, no offence intended to you or the Cardas product.

Alex

No probs, no offence taken in the least.
It's good to make lite of stuff, I usually do it to myself first.

Andy - SDDW

BTW Chris is right, your music is not Lo-Fi. I bet it sounds good.

Alex_UK
03-01-2010, 21:53
Thanks Chris - it currently fits in nicely with my ethos - 10% hardware, 90% Software ;)

Alex_UK
03-01-2010, 21:55
Alex

No probs, no offence taken in the least.
It's good to make lite of stuff, I usually do it to myself first.

Andy - SDDW

Phew - last thing I'd want is to upset anyone. I'll look into the Cardas, though, as all joking aside, there's no rhyme or reason to some of this stuff.

Alex_UK
04-01-2010, 18:14
Is this the fella? Cardas Frequency Sweep and Burn in Test Record on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cardas-Frequency-Sweep-and-Burn-in-Test-Record_W0QQitemZ290384843129QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTur ntable_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439c491179#ht_33 69wt_1165)? (£24.99 + £2.99 p&p)

04-01-2010, 19:21
Hi Alex

My version is different, probably superseded by the one shown in your link.
The one I have is called the 'Cardas Sweep Record'

Track 1 - Blank Track
Track 2 - System Degaussing Frequency Sweep (long Version)
Track 3 - System Degaussing Frequency Sweep (Short Version)
Track 4 - Plateau for Tone Arm Adjustments
Track 5 - Inverted Frequency Sweep

Side B is identical to Side A

Hope that helps.

Andy - SDDW

Alex_UK
04-01-2010, 21:46
Thanks Andy, appreciate you taking the time to reply - I'll give the ebay one a whirl, a cheap tweak!

DSJR
04-01-2010, 21:52
It's your ears I reckon and nothing to do with the system at all.

Have a listen, set it off and exit room quickly, return to room when finished and play what you did before. I'd be very surprised if there's a big difference...

REM
04-01-2010, 23:03
Shirley, sorry surely, worth it for the blank track....to check the level of 'inky blackness', no, yes????

Stratmangler
05-01-2010, 01:22
It's your ears I reckon and nothing to do with the system at all.

Have a listen, set it off and exit room quickly, return to room when finished and play what you did before. I'd be very surprised if there's a big difference...

The mere fact that you have suggested that this might indeed be the mechanism by which this thing works is of course prejudicial to the outcome of such a test.:eyebrows:

The only reasonable way of testing this is to do a before and after needledrop recording, and post the results for forum members to listen to and make comments. If there is any positive effect from using the record it should be easy to discern the improvement from the recording.

Work it on a poll basis - recording a sounds best/ recording b sounds best/ can't tell any difference.
Of course there must absolute secrecy as to which recording is which.

If someone would provide the recordings I would quite happily set the test up. That is, of course, if anyone wishes to participate in such a test.

Chris:)

therockst4r
05-01-2010, 01:50
@Chris, I just ordered the record, so once I put my technie back together I would be glad to do this test.

Stratmangler
05-01-2010, 10:47
@Chris, I just ordered the record, so once I put my technie back together I would be glad to do this test.

Thanks - I look forward to it.

therockst4r
05-01-2010, 11:03
Thanks - I look forward to it.

To be honest I doubt you will hear the difference even if the record works as intended, as I have hum issues with my turntable, but I will give it a shot.

REM
05-01-2010, 13:21
Anyone know if there is a difference between the Cardas & the Hi-Fi News/Len Gregory record, given that they both have a frequency sweep on them, or are there frequency sweeps and er,frequency sweeps:confused:.

Cheers

Stratmangler
05-01-2010, 13:37
A friend has the Hi-Fi News/Len Gregory record, and there are no claims of having a degaussing track/signal on it.

I did find this (http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/hfnrrdisc_e.html) over on TNT Audio.

DSJR
05-01-2010, 14:51
Degaussing = de-magnetising ?

if the above is true, then degaussing your cartridge will result in zero output - wouldn't it?

Stratmangler
05-01-2010, 15:11

Yup.

if the above is true, then degaussing your cartridge will result in zero output - wouldn't it?

I suppose there are degrees of effect.:eyebrows:

Chris;)

Themis
05-01-2010, 16:51

It's a special signal, it's degaussing only selected components. ;)