PDA

View Full Version : Hello to you all!

i2Paq
26-02-2017, 14:35
Let me introduce myself as I have been a member for a long time but mainly lurking ;)

My name is Norman and I live in The Netherlands.
I'm 53 years old and work as an Application Engineer at a small company where we build soft and hardware for a so called "closed financial systems".
This is a system where, in most cases, students have a school-pass where they can put money on their account and use this for secure printing/copying, buying food and drinks in the schools cafeteria or from vending machines.
My daily works exist from supporting these customers if they ran into issues, have questions, need modifications, updates or have new installations.

As I have a weak spot for everything that is UK related (Country, People, etc.) my audio interest lies mostly with English speakers, KEF, Tannoy, B&W, IMF, Linn and Leak audio.

I have owned many pairs of speakers and Leak amps and tuners.

At the moment I have a small but steady living-room setup; Linn Akurate Kontrol/0‏, Nuforce 9 v3se, Linn Majik DS, Dual 731q, Cambridge CD CXC, Tannoy Berkeley.

The luxury I have is that I have a sort of study where I have a vintage setup: Marantz 4270, Marantz 5220, Sony TA-N55ES‏, Dual 1229Q, Acoustic Research AR3a.

All my vintage equipment has been fully restored/rebuild and is as good as new.

The project I'm about to take on is a rebuild/restoration of a set B&W DM70.
The DM70 is one of the last speakers I "needed" to have :D
They sound amazing as I recall, the current set is "in pieces" and missing parts but this will be solved in time.

Once I'm allowed to post in other parts of this forum I will open a topic about the DM70 restoration.

Thanks for having me!

Kind regards, Norman

struth
26-02-2017, 14:59
Hi Norman, welcome to the site.. nice intro, but Linn is Scottish ;). Sounds like your love of Classic gear will fit in well.. there are a lot of us here as you may have noticed .

walpurgis
26-02-2017, 21:40
Hi Norman. Welcome to AOS.

Vintage Hi-Fi is very popular here, so you'll be in good company.

If you need advice about any of yours, ask some questions. The Past Masters section would be the place.

Tell us what music you like and feel free to join in with the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Barry
26-02-2017, 21:40
Welcome to AoS Norman,

Nice introduction. I'm quite envious of your AR3a speakers, and really look forward to hearing of your progress with the restoration of the B&W DM70s: another speaker design that interests me.

Enjoy the Forum

Barry

i2Paq
27-02-2017, 08:23
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I like all kind of music, Big Band, Jazz, 60's-70's-80's POP.
I listen to Deep House most of the time, Dogglounge radio, Digital Imported, both Internet radio stations.

The AR3a's where on my Bucket List as it is one of the iconic speakers build in the 60's.
In good condition they are hard to find, I was lucky to buy them from the first owner.
Thanks to the help of former Acoustic Research employees and AR enthusiasts over at the The Classic Speaker Pages (http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/) I was able to fully restore them.
http://cupofcoffee.nl/media/audio/i2paq/ar/AR3a-stands1a.jpg

The Tannoy Berkeley I also got from the first owner, they where in a terrible state.
I restored them, changed the cabinets to look like Tannoy Lancaster and placed them on a console so the tweeter is in ears mid.
Modified filters, now located on the back of the speaker.
http://cupofcoffee.nl/media/audio/i2paq/Berkeley-herbouw/DSC02413.JPG

The B&W DM70 are also on my Bucket List.
I'm in the middle of buying a set which is not complete but it is a good start.

Audio Al
27-02-2017, 08:40
Hello and welcome , You have some nice looking classic equipment

Enjoy the forum

Barry
27-02-2017, 16:13
Is that a Leak Stereo 30 amplifier and Stereofetic tuner I see there with the AR3as?

i2Paq
28-02-2017, 07:39
Is that a Leak Stereo 30 amplifier and Stereofetic tuner I see there with the AR3as?

Almost correct, it is a Leak 70.

I bought them on eBay from a older lady in the UK some years ago.

Both fully restored.

The speaker behind the AR3a's is a Roger Studio 1.

Spectral Morn
28-02-2017, 10:27
Welcome to AoS Norman

i2Paq
28-02-2017, 13:40
Welcome to AoS Norman

Thanks!