21-02-2017, 09:35
WANTED: Naim Aro (Tiger Paw) SKale Counterweight
anyone have one?
Wanted to give one a spin...

Yes you and me both
Think it's gonna have to be retail:doh:

WESTLOWER
21-02-2017, 16:56
hmmm, you buy one new Martin and let me know if it's an improvement, then i'll buy one ! :eyebrows:

YNWaN
21-02-2017, 19:30
I have one on my Aro and it is an improvement. I also happen to have one of Naims 'heavy' counterweights and compared it to that - the two are similar in benefit but the Skale is slightly better still (and also a lot more nicely machined and finished).

ovlov854
21-02-2017, 21:30
hmmm, you buy one new Martin and let me know if it's an improvement, then i'll buy one ! :eyebrows:

Yes and when I do will you be the first to borrow/.hire/purloin it ???:lol:

WESTLOWER
21-02-2017, 22:46
Yes and when I do will you be the first to borrow/.hire/purloin it ???:lol:

Indeed good sir!

WESTLOWER
21-02-2017, 22:48
I have one on my Aro and it is an improvement. I also happen to have one of Naims 'heavy' counterweights and compared it to that - the two are similar in benefit but the Skale is slightly better still (and also a lot more nicely machined and finished).
Thanks for your input Mark, that's encouraging..£200 worth of improvement?

WESTLOWER
21-02-2017, 23:36
Martin
Just seen in your system profile you have the SW1X DAC!
I too have this DAC, the sig version.
Bloody Good isn't it?!

ovlov854
22-02-2017, 02:33
Damn right it is.
Not too sure about his strange Russian valves...........I've now put an 88Brimar in mine

YNWaN
22-02-2017, 12:33
Thanks for your input Mark, that's encouraging..£200 worth of improvement?

Hmm... difficult to say - I don't know what difference you expect for £200. In the context of my own system its difficult to think how I could get such an improvement for less but then the cost of the whole is thousands. The Tranquillty is an even bigger (and more fundamental) difference but then it's twice the price and only currently available for the LP12.

WESTLOWER
22-02-2017, 15:27
Hmm... difficult to say - I don't know what difference you expect for £200. In the context of my own system its difficult to think how I could get such an improvement for less but then the cost of the whole is thousands. The Tranquillty is an even bigger (and more fundamental) difference but then it's twice the price and only currently available for the LP12.

the Tranquility I was unaware of! Just looked it up...Damn! more things to potentially ponder over!
thanks for your input on the SKale, of course i understand the improvement is relative, and given most of us have invested heavily, well in for a Penny in for a pi=pound and all that!
cheers

WESTLOWER
22-02-2017, 15:30
Damn right it is.
Not too sure about his strange Russian valves...........I've now put an 88Brimar in mine

Thats Interesting regarding the Valves, i'll check that out...so you have another improvement with the 88Brimars?

WESTLOWER
22-02-2017, 16:49
Damn right it is.
this may interest you..
http://www.lampizator.eu/UPGRADE/upgrade%20noval%20tubes%20to%206H6P.html

ovlov854
22-02-2017, 17:26
Thats Interesting regarding the Valves, i'll check that out...so you have another improvement with the 88Brimars?

I asked Slawa about valves and this is what he said .....but in the context of a DAC 1

As regarding the valves, the ECC88/6djb/E88cc valve family as well as 6N1P are pin compatible with 6N6P. Feel free to try them.
However, 6N6P is a much more powerful tube and sounds superior in most aspects to all those mentioned valves, in my book.
I would highly recommend a 6N6P with a square getter from the 60s (peak of cold war), made by Foton factory. Those have the most linear, least distorting presentation.
The one you have inside your DAC I is 6N6P from the 80s, btw.

I seem to recall that he also said that his Russian was much more suitable to the Signature rather than the DAC 1
I find the Brimar more detailed than a Mullard and almost as sweet

WESTLOWER
22-02-2017, 18:05
Interesting... Martin thanks for that.
Slawa sure knows his tubes.
Btw the Tranquility tiger paw looks interesting
Check it out. Seems to have had stellar reviews on the Linn forum..
Another thing to starve for!!

YNWaN
24-02-2017, 16:23
In the interest of full disclosure I should say that I actually designed the Tranquility so my recommendation must be seen in that light (Roger did the production engineering and brought it to market). As far as the sKale is concerned, I know for certain that Roger (Tiger-Paw) will refund anybody who feels it is not worth the money or is unhappy for any reason. I also know that many have ben sold to Aro users and none have yet been returned - I think that says a lot.

WESTLOWER
24-02-2017, 17:19
Indeed that does say a lot. I will order the SKale once paid. You gotta respect a money back no improvement deal!
In respect of the Tranquility, it looks an incredible product and very well thought out and beautifully engineered, well done Mark.
I'd love to hear the Tranquility. I believe Peter at Cymbiosis has one on demo there, but at the moment that is too far to travel as I am san wheels.
A thought... anyone in the London area have one they would care to expose to a quick listen?

In the interest of full disclosure I should say that I actually designed the Tranquility so my recommendation must be seen in that light (Roger did the production engineering and brought it to market). As far as the sKale is concerned, I know for certain that Roger (Tiger-Paw) will refund anybody who feels it is not worth the money or is unhappy for any reason. I also know that many have ben sold to Aro users and none have yet been returned - I think that says a lot.

YNWaN
24-02-2017, 18:01
As you say, Peter has one on demo but he isn't the only dealer who has one. I'll have to ask Roger what southern dealers have them but there should be one. As you say, the Tranquility has received a very enthusiastic reception with surprisingly universal recommendation (which is very gratifying). Roger also does a money back guarantee on the Tranq though they are in very short supply at present as demand has significantly outstripped supply!

WESTLOWER
26-02-2017, 19:53
I now have an Aro SKale. Cheers Jag

ovlov854
27-02-2017, 09:53
I now have an Aro SKale. Cheers Jag

So Kmon Kmon tell tell tell !! What does it do , better or differently ???

WESTLOWER
27-02-2017, 13:08
I'll give my findings when mr Postie has been!

So Kmon Kmon tell tell tell !! What does it do , better or differently ???

Jag
27-02-2017, 20:25
Thanks Adam, it's en route to you ETA tomorrow RMSD, hope you enjoy it very much.

Si74
27-02-2017, 20:55
The pennies to be made from the Fruitbox. Think what could be done to turn a Lada into a Ferrari,lol

WESTLOWER
27-02-2017, 23:48
Cheers Jag
Btw what new deck did you purchase ?

Thanks Adam, it's en route to you ETA tomorrow RMSD, hope you enjoy it very much.

Jag
01-03-2017, 00:11
I pulled the trigger on a Voyd .5 Reference with Reference powner supply, this after I just bought a Wilson Benesch Act One turntable and an Audio Note I0-2 cartridge. Funny that all good stuff comes up for sale all at once. This encouraged me to sell off some of my Linn LP 12 gear and a few projects to be stopped, promised myself I would stop buying stuff for a while now.

WESTLOWER
01-03-2017, 10:40
Hi my name is Adam and i'm an addict!!...;-)

I pulled the trigger on a Voyd .5 Reference with Reference powner supply, this after I just bought a Wilson Benesch Act One turntable and an Audio Note I0-2 cartridge. Funny that all good stuff comes up for sale all at once. This encouraged me to sell off some of my Linn LP 12 gear and a few projects to be stopped, promised myself I would stop buying stuff for a while now.

Jag
01-03-2017, 11:28
I know what you mean, passion for music/equipment can be fatal to the wallet/bank balance :)

WESTLOWER
01-03-2017, 11:32
what else you moving on regarding the LP12 ?

Jag
01-03-2017, 14:57
I have a new Mober DC motor kit from Stamford Audio I might never install, 2x Heed Orbit TT power supply/speed controllers etc and maybe a few black liner bearing/inner platter kits. My intentions were to build a few variant LP12's and still have a Funk Vectored LP12 etc I might put an Aro onto but with the Voyd .5 and the Wilson Benesch arriving I am not too rushed to set up any Linn stuff.

WESTLOWER
01-03-2017, 16:26
Hmmm...maybe if you are moving that DC motor kit?...

I have a new Mober DC motor kit from Stamford Audio I might never install, 2x Heed Orbit TT power supply/speed controllers etc and maybe a few black liner bearing/inner platter kits. My intentions were to build a few variant LP12's and still have a Funk Vectored LP12 etc I might put an Aro onto but with the Voyd .5 and the Wilson Benesch arriving I am not too rushed to set up any Linn stuff.