PDA

View Full Version : What does the type of music we listen to say about us?

Puffin
31-12-2009, 17:17
I have always liked Jazz-Fusion, Jazz-Funk and all it's derivatives. I do not like free-form jazz or anything without a structure to it when it sounds like everyone is playing a different tune and basically taking the piss (IMO)

There is an extremely good definition of this sort of music in the liner notes to "Smooth Jazz Collection" from a series sold by HMV at the beginnig of the decade.

"it is aspirational, alluding to an over-all feeling of well-being, sophistication and a prosperous lifestyle" (Discuss?)

I feel that the "Smooth Jazz" tag is derisory and smacks of some of the criticism this genre has engendered such as "elevator music" or "musak".

However it does it for me.

John
31-12-2009, 17:26
I also really dislike smooth jazz but can understand why others may like it
I sometimes can listen to Avante Garde as long as it not to outside a case in point would be John Zorn sometimes his music is just noise to my ears and sometimes it sends shivers down my spine Most of my taste would be in Fusion based with some bebop trad and gypsy jazz
Ahhh I am doing genres again!!!
I am not sure what I enjoy listening too says about me or anyone I tend to see music as a really personal thing and it would be nice if the music we listened to describe us but life more complex than that

Jonboy
31-12-2009, 18:09
I am not sure what I enjoy listening too says about me or anyone I tend to see music as a really personal thing and it would be nice if the music we listened to describe us but life more complex than that

I have such a varied music collection that it really depends on my mood at the time and whose company i'm in rather than what it tells someone about oneself, mind you you can make someone go home early by playing the wrong or should that be the right thing:eyebrows:

Barry
05-01-2010, 00:50
Would agree with Jon. My tastes in music are so wide that there is usually something to hand to suit my mood and/or those with me.

Regards

Rare Bird
05-01-2010, 08:56
Prog for real men ;)

Marco
06-01-2010, 05:25
...with BO, extra-hairy boz, but wee willies :lol:

Marco.

Joe
07-01-2010, 21:15
I wouldn't like to be judged on my music collection, some of which I've not listened to for decades.

Barry
07-01-2010, 21:37
I wouldn't like to be judged on my music collection, some of which I've not listened to for decades.

No problem - I've got a few like that, and a few that I do play but wouldn't wan't it to be know!

Which reminds me, I was going to start a thread on this: "Skeletons in the cupboard". Any takers, or do you want me to start it off?

Regards

Joe
07-01-2010, 21:39
No problem - I've got a few like that, and a few that I do play but wouldn't wan't it to be know!

Which reminds me, I was going to start a thread on this: "Skeletons in the cupboard". Any takers, or do you want me to start it off?

Regards

I had a Police album (the one with the orange cover) but I gave it away.

Themis
07-01-2010, 21:42
waaaaï em ci eeeeï !!! :lol:

Joe
07-01-2010, 21:45
waaaaï em ci eeeeï !!! :lol:

Not that one! But I do have 'I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper' by Sarah Brightman & Hot Gossip.