PDA

View Full Version : Boards Of Canada

the little audio company
20-02-2017, 00:32
Any Boards Of Canada fans here?

For those who aren't familiar, they're a Scottish electronic duo who are pretty much hermits - they hardly ever tour, don't promote themselves, don't do social media, rarely do interviews, and yet are slowly building up a cult following.

Much of their music is reminiscent of the 70s, and in particular those long sunny summer holidays off school when you were a kid. You only have to look at the album cover for Music Has The Right To Children (MHTRTC) and you'll see what I mean. Some of it is quite "dreamy", and no doubt probably mind blowing if you're into certain substances! (I'm not, so I'm just guessing).

They use vintage keyboards from around that period (like a Yamaha CS70) to produce a vintage/retro sort of analogue sound. Their record label is called Music70, and one album contains the track Sixty Ten (70). Yes, they have something about the number 70. A lot of their music revolves around colours/numbers/geometry/shapes, and using soundbites from, amongst others, Sesame Street!

Initially their music sounds quite repetitive, but the more you listen to it, you start hearing new details and layers you never heard before, and despite the production not being pristine, the better the system, the more and more it reveals. Some of the theories are interesting, and some are just downright crazy! Many seem to think their second album, Geogaddi, has deeply satanic themes running through it. The following link is to a page about the supposed themes of the album, and if you click on the individual tracks, it goes into more depth about each. The more you learn, the more you become intrigued. The last time I read those pages, I was researching for a week! Even though Geogaddi followed MHTRTC, they're quite different albums, partly due to 9/11 happening during the making of Geogaddi. It became a darker album, but was still similar in many ways, with most of the tracks seamlessly linked by vignettes. One of the tracks was used in the recent horror film Sinister.

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Geogaddi

There's a website that delves deep into their music, listing the samples and soundbites they use, and also the meaning of them within each track. Their first full album, Music Has The Right To Children, is the perfect example of these multitudes of layered detail. A track called Aquarius from this album was found be part of a very small collection of John Peel's favourite tracks.

You can read more on their Wikipedia and associated pages: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boards_of_Canada

If you're not familiar with them and you're into electronic music, give them a try. They're not your typical electronic music though, which is one reason why they've become one of my favourite artists since their first full length album in 1998. They've influenced many artists, such as Radiohead, and were themselves influenced by artists such as The Beatles. If you don't get it, you'll hate it. But if you do, you won't be able to live without it.

Firebottle
20-02-2017, 07:30
Thanks for the heads up, I shall be investigating.

:D

lordmortlock
20-02-2017, 07:58
One of my very favourite artists. Music has the right to children is one of the most important electronic albums of all time, and a personal top ten. Might have to take you to task over 'slowly building up a cult following' though. They've been huge since Roygbiv in '96! Half my life ago now, wow

the little audio company
20-02-2017, 08:07
Thanks for the heads up, I shall be investigating.

:DJust bear in mind that one listen, whilst it might captivate some, just isn't enough. They can take time to get into. I prefer lights off, darkness, and get lost in their three dimensional world...

the little audio company
20-02-2017, 08:10
One of my very favourite artists. Music has the right to children is one of the most important electronic albums of all time, and a personal top ten. Might have to take you to task over 'slowly building up a cult following' though. They've been huge since Roygbiv in '96! Half my life ago now, wowMHTRTC is definitely in my top 5 albums, although Geodaggi isn't far behind it! Take your point on being massive, but not massive as in the sort of artist who gets constant airtime on Radio 1. Almost like the film Clerks - their following has been built up by word of mouth and through friends, not through radio/TV/billboard ads etc. I'd love to see them live, but at the same time I'd be scared of the possibility of being disappointed.

Sherwood
20-02-2017, 08:11
Just bear in mind that one listen, whilst it might captivate some, just isn't enough. They can take time to get into. I prefer lights off, darkness, and get lost in their three dimensional world...

Sorry,

after 15 minutes on Spotify I've decided I prefer the lights on and sound off!:(

the little audio company
20-02-2017, 08:47
:)

Although, as I say, it's not one of those that are instantly likeable - it takes a few listens.

Marco
20-02-2017, 09:23
Nice one, David. B.o.C are cool! What other ambient music are you into? :)

Marco.

HackneyRF
20-02-2017, 10:10
Hi David

Yes, been a fan since Hi Scores. I hadn't listened to them much in the eight years between The Campfire Headphase and Tomorrow's Harvest but was reminded how good they can be when Tomorrow's Harvest came out. I think its fair to say they have been a huge influence on a lot of musicians not just electronic ones. In the history of electronic i would say they are up there with some of the greats. With regard to the production I think its just supposed to sound that way. The graininess and opaqueness just adds to the mystery!

All the best

Loz

the little audio company
20-02-2017, 10:47
Nice one, David. B.o.C are cool! What other ambient music are you into? :)

Marco.I'm not sure you want to ask that question, the list is huge!! :)

One thing I like about BoC is that they're British - it's nice for something so awesome to be something home grown, rather than the usual American or whatever.

the little audio company
20-02-2017, 10:53
Hi David

Yes, been a fan since Hi Scores. I hadn't listened to them much in the eight years between The Campfire Headphase and Tomorrow's Harvest but was reminded how good they can be when Tomorrow's Harvest came out. I think its fair to say they have been a huge influence on a lot of musicians not just electronic ones. In the history of electronic i would say they are up there with some of the greats. With regard to the production I think its just supposed to sound that way. The graininess and opaqueness just adds to the mystery!

All the best

LozAt the time, I was never that keen on Campfire Headphase, and rarely listened to it. But seeing as they rarely release albums, I've been trying to get my BoC fix elsewhere, and usually failing. So I went back to CH and really got into it! Whilst for me it still isn't as good as the other three albums, it's not the lagger I thought it was...

I wouldn't want BoC to sound perfect, it's part of the whole thing. But it is surprising just how good it sounds on a good system. I like a lot of speakers for different reasons, but I do love hearing BoC on KEF Blades :mad:, some tracks release their underlying menace, particularly Semena Mertvykh from Tomorrow's Harvest. Geogaddi sounds awesome on them too. Would love to host a BoC appreciation day!

Marco
20-02-2017, 11:14
I'm not sure you want to ask that question, the list is huge!! :)

One thing I like about BoC is that they're British - it's nice for something so awesome to be something home grown, rather than the usual American or whatever.

Indeed... I presume you're into the classics, such as Tangerine Dream? A bit more 'funked up' and less chillout, but check out Machinedrum: http://machinedrum.net/

Some of their more melodic stuff:

twexpvBDAcI&list

Marco.

cuddles
20-02-2017, 14:06
Music Has The Right To Children is totally captivating. It's an amazing psychedelic experience really. Desert Island Disc for me.

the little audio company
20-02-2017, 14:15
Music Has The Right To Children is totally captivating. It's an amazing psychedelic experience really. Desert Island Disc for me.

Listening to it now! Well, I had to after all this talk :)

the little audio company
20-02-2017, 14:18
Indeed... I presume you're into the classics, such as Tangerine Dream? A bit more 'funked up' and less chillout, but check out Machinedrum: http://machinedrum.net/

Some of their more melodic stuff:

Marco.

I can't say I've ever really tried their stuff, but I have enjoyed a few of their film scores over the years (Sorcerer, Thief etc). I'll have to explore them further sometime.

I've seen Machinedrum's name around, but presumed they were some heavy outfit!

the little audio company
21-02-2017, 10:57
BoC's albums never fail to amaze me. I've heard them God knows how many times, and although most of it is background listening, even when you're playing at decent volumes, I never fail to hear something I've never heard before. Listened to MHTRTC and Geogaddi yesterday afternoon, and Campfire Headphase when I got home. I forget what track it was now but I heard something I'd never noticed before. I don't think it is necessarily a case of being played on a better system, it's just that there's so much going on in some tracks that what's going on in the foreground sometimes takes your concentration away from "the little things".

Now to settle down for Tomorrow's Harvest...

Yomanze
21-02-2017, 11:44
I've been a fan for a while, especially up to 'Geogaddi'. After that, the newer stuff hasn't grabbed me as much.

Conan
21-02-2017, 12:10
Boards of Canada, Bonobo and Fila Brazilia = happy days

HackneyRF
21-02-2017, 13:21
BoC's albums never fail to amaze me. I've heard them God knows how many times, and although most of it is background listening, even when you're playing at decent volumes, I never fail to hear something I've never heard before. Listened to MHTRTC and Geogaddi yesterday afternoon, and Campfire Headphase when I got home. I forget what track it was now but I heard something I'd never noticed before. I don't think it is necessarily a case of being played on a better system, it's just that there's so much going on in some tracks that what's going on in the foreground sometimes takes your concentration away from "the little things".

Now to settle down for Tomorrow's Harvest...

I'm listening to Tomorrow's Harvest on the back of this thread. Reach For The Dead sounds monumental. David, i can recommend Stars of the Lid. Might be up your street. Their sound really does reveal lots going on with attentive and repeated listening. They've been one of favourites for a number of years now. 'The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid' is as good a place as any to dip your toe in.

Cheers

Loz

the little audio company
21-02-2017, 22:29
I'm listening to Tomorrow's Harvest on the back of this thread. Reach For The Dead sounds monumental. David, i can recommend Stars of the Lid. Might be up your street. Their sound really does reveal lots going on with attentive and repeated listening. They've been one of favourites for a number of years now. 'The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid' is as good a place as any to dip your toe in.

Cheers

LozHi Loz

They've been recommended to me before actually, but I can't remember whether I got round to listening to them. I don't think I did, so thanks for the reminder :)

Gazjam
22-02-2017, 02:16
I'm not sure you want to ask that question, the list is huge!! :)

Not British...Scottish! :)

Great band, been into 'em for a while.
Also check out Mogwai, Royksopp and Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

the little audio company
22-02-2017, 08:13
Not British...Scottish! :)

Great band, been into 'em for a while.
Also check out Mogwai, Royksopp and Godspeed You! Black Emperor.I was very careful about that, and I was technically correct - but I couldn't say "homegrown" and then say they were Scottish, is I'd have been lying :)

Royksopp are a one hit wonder for me with regards to albums. Melody A.M. was brilliant. Then it all fell apart. Saw Mogwai last year on the Atomic tour. Not heard of your last recommendation.

HearWax
26-02-2017, 00:15
I'm quite a big fan of electronic music including Boards of Canada. Their Peel sessions EP on Warp Records is particularly nice.
Ulrich Schnauss Faraway Trains Passing By is a very nice album if you wanted to dip your toe

the little audio company
04-03-2017, 12:29
I've only listened to the album Signalling The Stars so far, but these guys are very BoC!

https://lunartestinglab.bandcamp.com

Dynamics
17-04-2017, 15:43
I've only listened to the album Signalling The Stars so far, but these guys are very BoC!

https://lunartestinglab.bandcamp.com

Music has the right to children is their best I'd say, but I do like the campfire headphase (Dayvan cowboy)

But there are many similar acts like blue states, etc, that are just as good as b of c.

User211
17-04-2017, 20:00
Boards are OK.

Check out Dubmission Records on Bandcamp.

Pitch Black - Filtered Senses and the rest of their stuff is better than The Boards IMHO.

Today I came across Shulman - ALive and that is interesting and good.

TIDAL have quite a bit of the Dubmission stuff.

Neither quite the same as the Boards but not that far off.

Dynamics
17-04-2017, 22:00
How about Ulrich schnauss. Similar to b o c.

https://youtu.be/KEfA7Lr18Jo

RichB
17-04-2017, 23:45
Those who enjoy a bit BoC may also appreciate

Carbon Based Lifeforms

http://youtu.be/-9pgIVcB3rk

Solar Fields

http://youtu.be/_0n5MTS4DA8

the little audio company
18-04-2017, 21:55
Music has the right to children is their best I'd say, but I do like the campfire headphase (Dayvan cowboy)

But there are many similar acts like blue states, etc, that are just as good as b of c.Careful!! :)

the little audio company
18-04-2017, 21:58
Those who enjoy a bit BoC may also appreciate

Carbon Based Lifeforms

http://youtu.be/-9pgIVcB3rk

Solar Fields

http://youtu.be/_0n5MTS4DA8Almost everything on the Ultimae website is a good listen - all recommended.

https://ultimae.com

Dynamics
19-04-2017, 09:24
I definetly don't think Royksopp fell apart after Melody am though. The albums like the understanding and junior and senior with tracks like 'alpha male' and 'the alcoholic' were awesome. Melody a.m was a commercial album which I like a lot and with erlend Oye from kings of convenience / whitest boy alive etc.