PDA

View Full Version : Record cleaning

farflungstar
19-02-2017, 19:56
This is a fantastic thing for cleaning vinyl, a ripoff of the Nagaoka cl1000. It's easy to use and leaves grooves spotless.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w483/farflungstar/IMG_20170219_205106_305_zpslwr9i1aw.jpg

Sherwood
19-02-2017, 20:14
Not so sure about these. If they pick up a gritty particle that hits the record repeatedly as the cylinder rotates!

Jimbo
19-02-2017, 20:18
Is that a toilet roll holder?:eek:

struth
19-02-2017, 20:21
Stick to my brush i think, yes... Ive read a few user comments that said they were excellent, but mostly from folk with bootsale collections, that arent valuable. Think if you have a lot of decent quality records that cost you a fair bit then it might just raise your blood pressure a tad

Audio Al
19-02-2017, 20:22
The clue is in the name " Tacky Cleaner " enough said ;)

farflungstar
19-02-2017, 20:49
I thought the same after buying it and put it in a cupboard. Then when cleaning my stylus using an led light I noticed a lot of dust on a vinyl I'd just 'cleaned' and put on the platter. So I tried the roller - spotless. Nothing comes off it once it's trapped and I rinse it after every 10 (clean before playing) albums. It works and hasnt left any debris behind on any album.
I wouldn't go back to the brush and microfibre I was using before.

If it does have a downside then it's static, it charges the vinyl a little but doesnt affect play.

Barry
19-02-2017, 20:58
The use of an RCM when the record is first acquired, and the use of a carbon fibre brush before the record is played is all that is needed.

Those tacky rollers are IMO a bit too vicious to use on my valuable vinyl.

Sherwood
19-02-2017, 21:02
The one I had was an early device. It had a roll of adhesive tape rather than a polymer roller. As it got gunky you peeled off the tape to expose a fresh surface.

Never used it after first and last cleaning attempt!

Geoff

Gazjam
22-02-2017, 12:13
What about a Sticky Buddy? :)

ElYXU2Og4Ck

struth
22-02-2017, 12:25
Classic.. nice find Gazman:D

Clive197
23-02-2017, 15:01
The use of an RCM when the record is first acquired, and the use of a carbon fibre brush before the record is played is all that is needed.

+1

Infinitely Baffled
23-02-2017, 20:18

I have never worked out how to remove the line of dust that forms up on the record when you use a carbon fibre brush. In my experience, once you have concentrated all the debris into a single broad stripe like that, it is practically impossible to get it off without leaving a "shadow".

The most effective method of removing dust that I have come across was the original Pixall "Off the Record" adhesive tape roller, used across the record while the dust was still naturally distributed across its surface (ie. without using a brush to try and collect it first). Second best option is the Nagaoka roller, I think.
IB.

walpurgis
23-02-2017, 20:22
I find the bristles on carbon fibre record brushes too long and floppy. I've had several and have given up on them. My vintage Nagaoka Argento-4 velvet brush does a great job.

Oddball
23-02-2017, 21:33
Break out the woodglue:eyebrows:

Gazjam
23-02-2017, 21:50
I use one of these.
Advantage (I guess) is the span of the brush covers the entire radius of the LP?
Best by far of any record brush I've tried, and I've tried all the usual suspects.
This, and an RCM and your sorted.

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/1440820-acoustech-the-big-record-brush.jpg

From an antistatic point of view, guys on the Nikon camera forum swear by it!
Good enough for me!

Sherwood
23-02-2017, 21:55
I have never worked out how to remove the line of dust that forms up on the record when you use a carbon fibre brush. In my experience, once you have concentrated all the debris into a single broad stripe like that, it is practically impossible to get it off without leaving a "shadow".

The most effective method of removing dust that I have come across was the original Pixall "Off the Record" adhesive tape roller, used across the record while the dust was still naturally distributed across its surface (ie. without using a brush to try and collect it first). Second best option is the Nagaoka roller, I think.
IB.

It's all in the wrist action! Start with the brush as the arm of clock in 9 o'clock position. After two rotations of record and keeping the brush horizontal, move it at 45 degrees down to the right and exit the record so the brush is tangential to the 6 o'clock position at exit. Voila!

Geoff