PDA

View Full Version : Linn Mimik to Cambridge CXC?

Bonky
19-02-2017, 18:32
I have upgrade-itis.

Having just upgraded my cartridge to an AT 33PTG and just got a good Quad 99 power amp (although I am split between it and the DADA/RedHill modified Quad 306) - and been pleased with both acquisitions, I've started reading some very good reports of the Cambridge CXC CD transport (no DAC on-board) and wondered if it would be better than my Linn Mimik (which I play through my Beresford DAC, i.e. by-passing the Linn internal DAC)...

I know that in some quarters "the CD is dead", - let's all go over to streaming - (which I do anyway via a Pi + Sabre and Logitech Touch), but in these days of 'alternative facts' and 'fake news' (and 'not listening to experts'), I'm not sure I believe it. Falling sales does not mean a medium is dead in the water.

So, noble experts, is it worth my while selling the (perfectly good) Mimik - albeit a bit long-in-the-tooth these days, and getting a CXC to use with the Beresford?

(I do listen to experts BTW).

Thanks,

Bonky

serendipitydawg
20-02-2017, 17:25
... if I were in your shoes I would be actively considering ringing my local Richer Sounds to see if it were possible to audition my ageing CD player against a CXC into a Beresford. Don't know if they allow home dems.

Regardless of one's opinion on CD's longeivity (personally even if I had money to burn I wouldn't buy a disc spinner); the CXC is a one trick pony. Surely, for £349 you should at least be considering a spinner with a DAC and extra digital inputs?

struth
20-02-2017, 17:33
Might give another flavour, but unless you dont like the sound youve got why bother... again i think the dac and cabling will have more effect than the transport unless you go up to very expensive markets. I mucked about with different dacs for years and ended up just using an, albeit upgraded buffer which gave me what i wanted. But every dac i used was different. As are cables. I got Brian to recable by cd system.. cd is not dead

StanleyB
20-02-2017, 17:52
Might give another flavour, but unless you dont like the sound youve got why bother... again i think the dac and cabling will have more effect than the transport unless you go up to very expensive markets. I mucked about with different dacs for years and ended up just using an, albeit upgraded buffer which gave me what i wanted. But every dac i used was different. As are cables. I got Brian to recable by cd system.. cd is not dead
I agree with you that CD is not dead. Since developing the Caiman SEG I have started to listen to CD a lot more. I only use a cheap CD player as a transport, but the inclusion of the SEG to do the D to A conversion process has resurrected my enjoyment of CD over using audio files from my hard disk. The difference in sound presentation are clear cut in favour of the CD in my system.

Macca
20-02-2017, 18:03

I'm inclined to agree with Granty on this one. Different transport does equal different sound but different is not always better except in purely subjective terms.

Richer will let you take it back if you try at home and don't like, they have done for me in the past, but agree it with them on purchase. They gave me 14 days which is what they would legally have to give me if I'd ordered on-line and had it delivered anyway. So I'd say give it a go.

Bonky
20-02-2017, 18:05
Thanks everyone. A Linn Mimik (minus remote) has just sold on eBay for £256, so given the CXC is £350 (£250 a month ago!) there's not a lot in it. I'm looking on Ebay at present and there are two up for grabs. The Mimik is good but spare parts are now unobtainable. I hear TEAC units make good CD transports but a warranty and the availability of spare parts is a bonus.

I think a loan of a CXC could be in order...

r

struth
20-02-2017, 18:12
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-DV-717-DVD-CD-Player-Hi-End-Bit-Legato-Link-Conversion-Champagne-Gold-/132095420926?hash=item1ec18029fe:g:LvwAAOSwnHZYfT3 v

These are great transports. Ive seen them cheaper but this is in nice nick and prices are on the up. Ive got 2. A number of folk here use or have used them

Bonky
20-02-2017, 20:02
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-DV-717-DVD-CD-Player-Hi-End-Bit-Legato-Link-Conversion-Champagne-Gold-/132095420926?hash=item1ec18029fe:g:LvwAAOSwnHZYfT3 v

These are great transports. Ive seen them cheaper but this is in nice nick and prices are on the up. Ive got 2. A number of folk here use or have used them
Thanks; it's on my 'watch list'.