PDA

View Full Version : Hello

blackholesun
14-02-2017, 16:00
Hello, I joined some time ago and forgot to say hi :)

My name is Chris, I work from home so my main system is in my small-ish work room. Currently Rotel amps and Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mk2 speakers. On the analogue front, Rega RP6 and Sony PS-X65. The Sony is something of a revelation so much I am thinking about letting Rega go. I spend way too much money on turntables and everything analogue.
I listen to files through rDAC and CDs on an old Rotel 965BX.

I mostly listen to 70/80/90 pop/rock/electronica, bit of everything really.

jollyfix
14-02-2017, 16:03
Hi Chris, welcome to AOS. Enjoy the forum.

struth
15-02-2017, 02:29
Hi Chris.. good intro. Hope you enjoy the forum.

walpurgis
15-02-2017, 10:40
Hi Chris. Welcome to AOS.

I haven't seen a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk.II since I sold mine some years ago. They are a high quality speaker.

Tell what plans if any you may have for your system

Feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Bigman80
15-02-2017, 11:25
Hello, I joined some time ago and forgot to say hi :)

My name is Chris, I work from home so my main system is in my small-ish work room. Currently Rotel amps and Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mk2 speakers. On the analogue front, Rega RP6 and Sony PS-X65. The Sony is something of a revelation so much I am thinking about letting Rega go. I spend way too much money on turntables and everything analogue.
I listen to files through rDAC and CDs on an old Rotel 965BX.

I mostly listen to 70/80/90 pop/rock/electronica, bit of everything really.
Hi Chris,

Whilst most people believe Sony are a mid-Fi brand they actually made some really high quality items. I had a PS-X70 and it was amazing. Seriously good tone arm (think yours has the same).

X-tal lock is perfect and the DD motor has no rumble at all.

I love the Sony gear lol. Im looking for a PS8750 when fund allow.

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

struth
15-02-2017, 11:28
Sapphire bearings on those arms

Bigman80
15-02-2017, 11:33
Sapphire bearings on those arms
😍 mmmmm Sony.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

blackholesun
15-02-2017, 11:48
Thanks chaps for the warm welcome. I am not big on box swapping, I had my previous Dyns (DM2/7) for 7 years before I changed them to Contours. Now I'm thinking about a better amp (Krell?) :)

I also believe in proper phono stages, I had Whest Two, then replaced it with a nice DIY project from Poland, a dual mono Nuda phono stage, huge PSU unit, two separate boxes for MM and MC, a myriad of MM settings. Nice, but I have recently listened to Rega Aria and liked it a LOT!

Whilst most people believe Sony are a mid-Fi brand they actually made some really high quality items. I had a PS-X70 and it was amazing. Seriously good tone arm (think yours has the same).

X-tal lock is perfect and the DD motor has no rumble at all.

I love the Sony gear lol. Im looking for a PS8750 when fund allow.

I couldn't agree more. Actually I was looking for PS-6750 because I read Gromit's posts that it paired nicely with Benz. But then I found dirt cheap PS-X65, bought it, had it thouroughly serviced, had the tonearm wiring replaced. I must say the difference before and after service was VERY substantial. As you say the tonarm is great, I had DL-110, DL-103R and Benz Ace on it - all great. Actually Ace works better on Sony than Rega, because you can set up azimuth on Sony.

Anyway I saw a nice topic on Sony vintage stuff on the forum, so will probably contribute there.

Barry
15-02-2017, 17:23
Welcome to AoS Chris,

There are many Sony admirers here. I used a couple of their CD players for many years (I still keep one as a spare). What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

blackholesun
15-02-2017, 17:44
What are your tastes in music?

Like I said, 70/80/90 pop/rock/electronica, so Kate Bush, Suzanne Vega, Deftones, Tool, Pat Metheny, 80s 4AD, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Chris Rea, Pink Floyd, Joni Mitchell, Massive Attack... and so on...

Two things I just cannot get into is classical and jazz - although I tried!

Barry
15-02-2017, 17:48
So you did - I should have read your introductory post more closely. I have also read about your choice of forum name, so understand more of your musical tastes. :)