PDA

View Full Version : WTD Mission 710 or 770 speakers

Bigman80
13-02-2017, 12:54
As in the title, I'm looking for a pair of Mission 710 or 770 speakers. Or just the drivers !!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80
13-02-2017, 19:01
Bumo

Arkless Electronics
13-02-2017, 19:17
You do know that 710 and 770 drivers are very different? And foam surround on 710 drivers will likely be rotten... I binned a pair about a year ago for just this reason! My 770's are going nowhere I'm afraid... excellent speakers.

Bigman80
13-02-2017, 19:43
Yes mate, I'm after a pair of either. I have 710s and the foam is perfect. Just one of the drivers rattles badly.

Sure you don't want to sell yours? lol

Jimbo
13-02-2017, 20:03
The 770s were great rock speakers with a very nice dynamic sound, the first Hifi speaker I ever heard!

walpurgis
13-02-2017, 20:27
Yes mate, I'm after a pair of either. I have 710s and the foam is perfect. Just one of the drivers rattles badly.

Sure you don't want to sell yours? lol

When you say the driver "rattles", what is it doing exactly Oliver and have you taken it out and inspected it. Can the cone be moved backwards and forwards by hand without rubbing?

Bigman80
13-02-2017, 20:40
It sounds like it's unattached somewhere. It's distorting and stops when I put some pressure on it.

Bigman80
13-02-2017, 20:41
I haven't taken the speaker out yet.

walpurgis
13-02-2017, 20:45
It's probably the coil and former binding in the magnet gap. The rear suspension spider has likely deformed a bit alowing the coil to move out of concentricity. As it's basically buggered unless repaired, you have nothing to lose by trying the 'Walpurgis' hairdryer dodge to attempt a fix. It often works. If interested say so and I'll describe the procedure.

Bigman80
13-02-2017, 20:55
Please do,. I've pulled the driver out and it does appear to rub when I move it by hand.

Arkless Electronics
13-02-2017, 21:05
The 770s were great rock speakers with a very nice dynamic sound, the first Hifi speaker I ever heard!

Certainly very dynamic yes but good for much more than rock IMHO. I used mine for many many years without feeling the need to change them. I well recall them making virtually any other speaker of similar size and price sound slow and muddy at the time....

Bigman80
13-02-2017, 21:12
I think the 710 are the best speaker I've had. And that's with a broken driver. Very dynamic.

walpurgis
13-02-2017, 21:18
Right here goes (pay attention at the back!!).

Move the cone backwards and forwards pressing on the side of the coil and former using fingers through the holes in the chassis frame. Turn the speaker and do this all the way round. You will find there is one position where it binds/rubs the most. Using a marker, mark this position on the chassis. Get long and moderately strong elastic bands. Feed them through the speaker chassis and around the coil so they will pull in exactly the opposite direction to the mark you made. Pull them decently tight, but not so much as to cause damage. Use a hairdryer set on hot through the holes in the chassis onto the rear suspension spider of the unit (the corrugated bit) all the way round for a little while. Don't get it so hot as to cause damage and try to avoid blowing on the back of the cone. Then set the dryer on cold and repeat for a while. Hopefully this will have relaxed the suspension enough to pull it back central and the cold air will have 'reset' it in a new position with clearance around the magnet pole piece allowing the cone to now move back and forth freely.

I've suggested this method to members in the past and they've had success. As have I, several times.

You may have to try this more than once though. It may not work first time.

Good luck!!

Bigman80
13-02-2017, 21:21
Lol, sweet Chrismas ! I'll see what happens. It does run one side only so I hope that I'll work !!!

I'll let you know

walpurgis
13-02-2017, 21:31
Should have mentioned. It makes it easier if you tape or tie the elastic bands in place once tensioned. Don't overdo the tightness. Firm pull, but not silly! :)

Bigman80
13-02-2017, 21:35
Understood. I'll give it a go. Nothing to lose have I !

Arkless Electronics
13-02-2017, 22:08
I think the 710 are the best speaker I've had. And that's with a broken driver. Very dynamic.

I remember them yes... Their very first speakers were the 710, 720 and 730 all with veneered baffles and Seas drivers. The 770 was released about 4-5 months later IIRC.
I always thought that in their early days Mission was one of the greatest ever British Hi Fi companies... very innovative and unafraid to push the boundaries... the 770 speakers, 774 arm, sorbothane, the "sculpted" fairly high end pre and power amp designed for them by Stan Curtis... There was a turntable and MC cart as well back in the day...

Bigman80
13-02-2017, 22:30
I remember them yes... Their very first speakers were the 710, 720 and 730 all with veneered baffles and Seas drivers. The 770 was released about 4-5 months later IIRC.
I always thought that in their early days Mission was one of the greatest ever British Hi Fi companies... very innovative and unafraid to push the boundaries... the 770 speakers, 774 arm, sorbothane, the "sculpted" fairly high end pre and power amp designed for them by Stan Curtis... There was a turntable and MC cart as well back in the day...
There is a great piece on audiophile.com I think. A very good read.

I am possessed by the need to repair these speakers lol

Bigman80
14-02-2017, 14:45
I think you're right Geoff. It does appear to rub badly when I push one side. I've put them back together and tried moving the cone when music is played. When I press on the opposite side of the cone gently the distortion stops. I will be trying to Walpurgis speakers fix asap

Bigman80
15-02-2017, 00:49
There are 727s on eBay but I'm still looking for 770 or 710s.