PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Jbbrown
10-02-2017, 10:30
Hi All,

I'm new here, so just thought I would get the formalities over with.

Vinyl source. A heavily modified Thorens TD150 by Rolf Kelch of Germany. I designed the plinth myself, and have it made locally. The TT itself has a new custom brass platter, new leaf spring suspension, chambers filled with lead shot to the sub-chassis, new bearing, spindle, lead shot filled base, and AC PSU. I use an audiomods tone arm, and a northwest analogue modified (new coils) Benz micro glider cart. Also using a northwest analogue puck.

Longdog audio VDtl Dac, currently run through a MacBook Pro.

Ming da mc 300 pre (modified)

WD 3s XL phono with 5751 valves,

WD 300b

Isotek titan

Quad ESL 63 modded by one thing.

Musical tastes vary from some Jazz, through to electronica. Also like pink floyd, Bowie, Lou reed, iggy pop, joy division, etc.

Spectral Morn
10-02-2017, 10:43
Welcome to AoS Justin :cool:

walpurgis
10-02-2017, 10:43
Hello Justin. Welcome to AOS.

That TD150 sounds interesting. How about some photos for our Gallery section? Thorens are popular here.

I bet the Quads sound nice with some 300b's behind them.

There's loads going on here, so take a look around and please join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum, Geoff.

struth
10-02-2017, 10:46
Hi Justin... enjoy the forum. :cool:

Barry
10-02-2017, 16:31
Welcome to AoS Justin.

Some nice gear you have there.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Jbbrown
10-02-2017, 16:48
Hello again,

Thank you all for your kind comments. I forgot to add that the 300b is the stereo push pull version.

I am a member of two other forums, but have been busy getting on with life for the last couple of years or so. I have attended the wigwam event for the last 5 yrs or so, and exhibited about 3/4 yrs ago. I have recently contacted a sound engineer as I am curious about frequencies and appropriate room treatment.

I would love to design and build my own turntable from scratch one day and am also curious about pushing the 63's to see how far they will go. A more rigid frame seems to be the next logical step. I love the valve/electrostatic route, and I can't really see any other way. The great thing about the wigwam show isn't just the variety of equipment, it is a mixture of kit/vintage/modded that I find exciting and fascinating.

Justin.

Jbbrown
10-02-2017, 16:51
I forgot to ask if anyone has any tips for format of the images. The last time I did this, I had grief because the image was too big. I have an iPhone, and will be uploading directly from it.

Thanks.

struth
10-02-2017, 16:59
It depends on how good they are. If plenty of light etc the bigger ones work, otherwise id say middle size if using tapatalk. Usually jpg etc is fine

Jbbrown
10-02-2017, 17:16
Ok. I haven't tried to upload any photos to a forum for years, so can hardly remember. Better just get on with it and see.