View Full Version : Fozgometer - opinions

farflungstar
09-02-2017, 21:57
Hi guys - I'm thinking of finally pulling the plug on a fozgometer. Has anyone any good it bad experiences?

Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

topoxforddoc
09-02-2017, 22:12
Adey,

I was thinking of getting one. Now side tracked into R2R. But I might end up getting the Dr Feickert Adjust Plus instead. It's just that I would have to get Windows installed onto my Macbook Air, and I can't be bothered at the moment.

Long thread on this topic at What's Best Forum here

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9097-Azimuth-adjustment-the-easy-way

Charlie

farflungstar
09-02-2017, 22:15
Thanks Charlie will check that out.
Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

allthingsanalogue
09-02-2017, 23:56
I bought one but sent it back.

Every time I tried it I was getting different readings. I think to try and get the azimuth readings to be the same on each channel the stylus would have had to have been pointing into space! I bought the Analogue Productions test LP to go with it and I had also calibrated it using the test tones that I'd downloaded.

I know some people swear by it but but it just didn't work for me. I did read somewhere that there could be an issue with using with Unipivot tone arms which I do with a Nima.

farflungstar
10-02-2017, 09:36
Having read the link from Charlie it seems that the Adjust+ is the best way to go but it's bloody faffy. Unlike the fozgometer it checks phase which is what I'm very perceptive of but my HiFi is in a domestic lounge not a test facility! I'll continue using my ears for now I think...

In perpetual pursuit.

allthingsanalogue
11-02-2017, 20:22
Having read the link from Charlie it seems that the Adjust+ is the best way to go but it's bloody faffy. Unlike the fozgometer it checks phase which is what I'm very perceptive of but my HiFi is in a domestic lounge not a test facility! I'll continue using my ears for now I think...

In perpetual pursuit.

+1.

shane
11-02-2017, 20:38
If I get it correctly, what a fozgometer does is to look for the point where the output from each channel of the cartridge is equal but 180 degrees out of phase on a vertically modulated groove. Given a test record with a suitable modulation such as HFS69, couldn't the same thing be achieved by commoning left and right (easy if you have s mono switch) and adjusting azimuth for minimum output?

topoxforddoc
11-02-2017, 20:51
If I get it correctly, what a fozgometer does is to look for the point where the output from each channel of the cartridge is equal but 180 degrees out of phase on a vertically modulated groove. Given a test record with a suitable modulation such as HFS69, couldn't the same thing be achieved by commoning left and right (easy if you have s mono switch) and adjusting azimuth for minimum output?

yes

Arkless Electronics
11-02-2017, 20:55
Need to reverse phase on one channel... you could wire one channel of cart reverse phase at the headshell.

shane
11-02-2017, 20:58
Forgot that bit....

shane
11-02-2017, 20:59
Hang on though, if you're tracking a vertical modulation, it's out of phase anyway, isn't it?

Arkless Electronics
11-02-2017, 21:01
Ideally excellent channel matching and RIAA accuracy between channels for best results so a SS phono stage with feedback incorporated is ideal.

struth
11-02-2017, 21:03
Hang on though, if you're tracking a vertical modulation, it's out of phase anyway, isn't it?

It reads channel separation in both directions, and channel balance.

Arkless Electronics
11-02-2017, 21:07

Actually yes I believe you're right there! Scrub that reverse phase to one channel bit I said then!

sbank
12-02-2017, 00:16
I've had some luck with Fozzie on a few turntables. 6 guys in our local audio club chipped in for it, and we pass it around as needed. The test LP is a must, I'd suggest staying away from changing wiring just to use it. Results are different for every cartridge, so occasionally you wonder if everything is working correctly. I suppose I'm happy to have it especially for only a fraction of the cost, but if I was buying now, Adjust+ would get serious consideration. FWIW, I used it for years with VPI unipivot arms and that never caused a problem.

mac72
14-04-2017, 09:11
Problem with Fozgometer is it does measure crosstalk only , in many cases phase intersect at very different azimuth setting , vta has massive impact on this . I've been using Adjust+ for some time and can recommend it highly , home versions offers as well wow& flutter , freq. response and tonearm/cartridge resonance measurements , it's bit fiddly , you need good soundcard (24bit/96kHz) , you need to calibrate soundcard and input signal but once you've done it the difference is easily perceivable.