PDA

View Full Version : Good day, gentlemen.

Rozenberg
09-02-2017, 12:42
Hi all, I started getting into this hobby probably like 2-3 years ago and since then I got addicted to it.
I mostly play with headphones though, since my apartment makes it impossible for me to own speakers system.

Current system is Shozy DA-505 -> Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson -> Sennheiser HD800 & HD650.

I've got my system all set up except the DAC, yeah the DAC.
Okay, I joined here because recently I've developed an interest for vintage R2R DACs and right now I'm (pretty desperately) looking for Theta DACs like the DS Pro Basic or Chroma 396 but prices I've seen on Ebay are mostly ridiculous. I do hope to find one here! ;)
Or probably other alternatives of well regarded vintage R2R DACs that don't break my wallet.

Macca
09-02-2017, 18:48
Hi Dwipa, welcome to the forum.

Shame you can't use speakers, is that some sort of law or building code? I'd rather have small speakers than headphones myself.

MrRadish
09-02-2017, 19:14
Hi Dwipa, welcome aboard. I got your PM by email but its not showing up in my AoS inbox, so I'm not sure what happened there. The Chroma is still available, so if the inbox doesn't update later I'll contact you by email directly.

I've also been a long-term headphone user and the speed and immediacy you get from something like the HD800 makes speakers sound crap by comparison, especially if you can't crank the volume up loud in the room, but I'm in the process of switching over now just to free myself up from the tyranny of headphone cables. Its a whole new set of challenges though, so the headphones still win in many ways.

Rozenberg
09-02-2017, 20:03
Hi Dwipa, welcome to the forum.

Shame you can't use speakers, is that some sort of law or building code? I'd rather have small speakers than headphones myself.

Thanks for the welcome.

Apparently the walls are too thin, having a speakers setup even with proper damping would still disturb the neighbors.
I do have small speakers, the old Cambridge Audio S30 but they're mostly only used to watch movies and such.

Hi Dwipa, welcome aboard. I got your PM by email but its not showing up in my AoS inbox, so I'm not sure what happened there. The Chroma is still available, so if the inbox doesn't update later I'll contact you by email directly.

I've also been a long-term headphone user and the speed and immediacy you get from something like the HD800 makes speakers sound crap by comparison, especially if you can't crank the volume up loud in the room, but I'm in the process of switching over now just to free myself up from the tyranny of headphone cables. Its a whole new set of challenges though, so the headphones still win in many ways.

Hi Andy so good to see you letting me know here. How my heart jumped in joy after knowing it's still available. This is a good day indeed. Yeah I don't think I could check my outbox either so don't know what happened, but sure, gonna wait for your message :D

I would switch too if I could. I've been to some Hi-Fi events and there were speakers that totally blew me away even when heard in noisy situation, especially one that produced lifelike drum hits and kicks. Never in my headphones journey I've felt that way. Unfortunately I forgot the model and brand, but I bet it costs a ton too though. Yeah, in my current situation, headphones are still the more practical way of listening to music.

Macca
09-02-2017, 20:17

You need to make 5 posts to activate the PM facility, Dwipa has only made 2

MrRadish
09-02-2017, 20:31

I got the PM anyway, it's just not in the inbox!

Rozenberg
09-02-2017, 20:38

Oh just knew, should've read the guidelines.

I got the PM anyway, it's just not in the inbox!

Can you see my email though?

MrRadish
09-02-2017, 20:47
Yep, email sent. We'd like to see pictures of your Cavalli though as that's rather unusual, so if you get the chance please post them in the Gallery section. I still haven't got around to posting my pics admittedly, so its not compulsory!

Spectral Morn
09-02-2017, 21:33
Welcome to AoS Dwipa

walpurgis
09-02-2017, 21:43
Hello Dwipa. Welcome to AOS.

If you need a DAC, you could consider the Beresford models. Stan Beresford is a member here and has a trade thread. Have a chat with him.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Barry
10-02-2017, 16:53
Welcome to AoS Dwipa,

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Yomanze
10-02-2017, 17:20
Don't get a Chroma, you want proper DSPs in a Theta DAC, and not a digital filter chip. I am a big fan of the DS Pro Progeny "A" revision. You need a low jitter transport to get the most out of vintage DACs.

Welcome to the forum. :)