PDA

View Full Version : "Oppo BDP-83SE"

Audiocom AV
28-12-2009, 14:34
The Oppo BDP-83SE Blu-ray player arrived a couple of months ago in the UK and is a rather special universal player featuring the Sabre 32-bit DAC’s for 5.1 channel & 2-channel audio. What makes the BDP-83SE so appealing is the ES9006 32-bit Sabre DAC’s which until now Sabre DAC’s have been limited to a few commercial players & DAC’s and to a larger extent the DIY market with the Buffalo DAC (ES9018). The ES9006 although a lower cost version of the reference ES9008 still has excellent specifications, THD of -104 db, DNR of -117 when using the OEM supplied NE5532.

Blu-ray pictures are fantastic from the amazing BBC’s ‘Life’ through to the fast moving, all action Transformers 2, the BDP-83 brings out the 3D picture depth, a wide and stunningly realistic palette of colours, excellent contrast and definition.

For full specifications on the Oppo BDP-83SE please see here;
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83SE/

leo
28-12-2009, 18:07
Nice one Mark, I bet you've had fun with the Oppo, I've learn't so much with the Sabre chips since fiddling with the Buffalo and Buffalo32s, they sound pretty good used basic but are so damn capable, as you know theres a few tricks to really make em sing:)

I still personally think the ES9018 is a big step up from the ES9008, their all very capable though!

Audiocom AV
29-12-2009, 10:35
Hi Leo

I have been particularly impressed with the picture on Blu-ray with the Oppo, also the upsampling from DVD.

It is interesting to see a company like Oppo move in the direction of the Sabre 32 DAC, I hope more companies follow.

Next year I am going to investigate the Buffalo32S (ES9018), the potential here looks immense.

Have you seen any of the full datasheets for the Sabre 32 DAC's?

Take care.

leo
29-12-2009, 11:26
Hi Leo

I have been particularly impressed with the picture on Blu-ray with the Oppo, also the upsampling from DVD.

It is interesting to see a company like Oppo move in the direction of the Sabre 32 DAC, I hope more companies follow.

Next year I am going to investigate the Buffalo32S (ES9018), the potential here looks immense.

Have you seen any of the full datasheets for the Sabre 32 DAC's?

Take care.

Hi Mark,

Yes, I've got the full ES9012 and ES9018 datasheet ( it won't help too much with the Buffalo32s tbh) , currently only the cut down version is on the net, you have to get the full version from ESS Tech, these folks may be able to help http://ecommerce.ismosys.com/ordering/index.php?manufacturers_id=34
If I was allowed I'd email you mine but you have to send your details to them , your name/details is then watermarked on the sheets, if its posted anywhere on the net they then know who it was;)

Reards,
Leo

Audiocom AV
30-12-2009, 12:37
Hi Mark,

Yes, I've got the full ES9012 and ES9018 datasheet ( it won't help too much with the Buffalo32s tbh) , currently only the cut down version is on the net, you have to get the full version from ESS Tech, these folks may be able to help http://ecommerce.ismosys.com/ordering/index.php?manufacturers_id=34
If I was allowed I'd email you mine but you have to send your details to them , your name/details is then watermarked on the sheets, if its posted anywhere on the net they then know who it was;)

Reards,
Leo

Thanks Leo

There is a thunderous price difference between the ES9006 & ES9008!!

What equipment case did you house your Buffalo 32 DAC in?

leo
30-12-2009, 19:28
Hi Mark,

Yes, quite a difference in price, I've been told the ES9018 has much more potential though and makes up for it when pushed to the limits, problem is it also costs far more to get it performing at its best, I can't imagine half of the manufactures maximizing it tbh so it makes sense for them to use the lower grade chip but still getting good performance for a lot less

Mines currently in a crappy case I'm using as a temp fix, will try and post a pic on the diy thread tomorrow
Finding suitable cases has always been a prob for me in this hobby:doh: fine with any electronics but a numpty regarding the metal work.

Theres still a few things I need to try with the B32s, maybe a few more regs to compare against the PH jobs, other things mainly as icing on the cake

Regards,
Leo

Audiocom AV
31-12-2009, 19:25
Hi Mark,

Yes, quite a difference in price, I've been told the ES9018 has much more potential though and makes up for it when pushed to the limits, problem is it also costs far more to get it performing at its best, I can't imagine half of the manufactures maximizing it tbh so it makes sense for them to use the lower grade chip but still getting good performance for a lot less

Mines currently in a crappy case I'm using as a temp fix, will try and post a pic on the diy thread tomorrow
Finding suitable cases has always been a prob for me in this hobby:doh: fine with any electronics but a numpty regarding the metal work.

Theres still a few things I need to try with the B32s, maybe a few more regs to compare against the PH jobs, other things mainly as icing on the cake

Regards,
Leo

Hi Leo

I agree, few manufacturers will go to the lengths of discrete regulators to get the noise figures down to where they need to be to get the ES9018 performing to its full potential.

One area I want to experiment with is Audio Consulting output coupling transformers, either directly after the I/V stage or further downstream. Which I/V op-amp did you settle on with the Buffalo DAC?

Regarding cases, it has always been difficult to find high quality DIY cases. Have you seen the Hammond chassis at the Parts Connexion? See here;
http://www.partsconnexion.com/chassis_hammond_alnm.html

Happy New Year!

Best Wishes
Mark

leo
03-01-2010, 02:08
Hi Leo

I agree, few manufacturers will go to the lengths of discrete regulators to get the noise figures down to where they need to be to get the ES9018 performing to its full potential.

One area I want to experiment with is Audio Consulting output coupling transformers, either directly after the I/V stage or further downstream. Which I/V op-amp did you settle on with the Buffalo DAC?

Regarding cases, it has always been difficult to find high quality DIY cases. Have you seen the Hammond chassis at the Parts Connexion? See here;
http://www.partsconnexion.com/chassis_hammond_alnm.html

Happy New Year!

Best Wishes
Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the late reply.
The Buffalo32s uses OPA1632 differential op-amps in the IVYII output stage (I mainly use differential out rather than line out) , I'm currently messing about with discrete, theres a few more idea's to try out when I get time, also got a pair of the Counterpoint discrete stages from Twisted Pear to build up and try soon as I can find the right transistors

The Sabre dacs don't contain CMOS op-amps or switching capacitors internally,
They can output either current or voltage depending on the impedance they see, going by results so far the output stages with these chips are as important as the regulation

Thank you for the case links, I'll check those out:) mines currently in one of those 1U Galaxy jobs

oh , Happy New Year to you too!

Cheers,
Leo

trailer
08-01-2010, 16:03
I have the standard 83 and it is a fine piece of kit for sure. I'm waiting for CRT to get the Sabre boards in and I'll send it down for the SE upgrade.

With the latest f/w you can also stream material over a network through the Oppo too.

Audiocom AV
08-01-2010, 18:21
I have the standard 83 and it is a fine piece of kit for sure. I'm waiting for CRT to get the Sabre boards in and I'll send it down for the SE upgrade.

With the latest f/w you can also stream material over a network through the Oppo too.

Hi,

Well that is excellent news on network streaming to the Oppo.

I look forward to hearing from you on the SE mods.

Best Wishes
Mark

leo
19-01-2010, 09:08
You seen this Mark http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/lexicon-bd-30-blu-ray-oppo-clone/oppo-inside-lexicon-outside-1

Mr. C
19-01-2010, 10:52
This unit makes for acceptable optical disc playback, If you ever consider going back to this medium, it is worth checking them out.

leo
19-01-2010, 15:39
Is that before or after its been recased and badged Lexicon;)
Do you think thats true in the article or just a windup :scratch:

trailer
19-01-2010, 16:17
Is that before or after its been recased and badged Lexicon;)
Do you think thats true in the article or just a windup :scratch:

$3000 for a new case if all is to be believed?

CRT have set the SE upgrade price at £249 as it happens.

Audiocom AV
19-01-2010, 18:46
You seen this Mark http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/lexicon-bd-30-blu-ray-oppo-clone/oppo-inside-lexicon-outside-1

Hi Leo

Thanks for the interesting link.

Looking at the photos, the Lexicon BD-30 is indeed an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Player in a different case.