PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge advice please

Bonky
07-02-2017, 20:46
Equipment: Roksan Nima arm with an Inspire Apollo deck. At present I have an AT05MC cartridge - but this must be past it's best by now. It feeds a Cambridge CP2 phono preamp.

Budget is a little limited. I was initially thinking of 'downgrading' to an Ortofon Blue or Bronze (both MM).

However, I like the clarity and smoothness of MC.

I was wondering about:
Dyn 10x5
At OC9ML 2. or 3
Sumiko Blue point

The AT models are the cheapest.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Richard.

Barry
07-02-2017, 21:31
Pick-up cartidges, like all electromechanical transducers are very much to the personal taste of the listener.

Of those you list, I only have experience of the Sumiko Blue Point (Special). On paper it is a superb cartridge and when listening to it I could not fault it for things like detail, tonal balance, neutrality, soundstaging etc., save for one fatal shortcoming - it did not involve me: I would often find myself just not listening to the music. Probably just me; other will report different impressions, but I can only report as I find.

The Audio Technica OC9 gets good reviews, so why not try to find a dealer where you can listen to one?

Sorry to be a bit negative.
Barry

Bigman80
07-02-2017, 22:04
There are a couple of good carts on here I think. An AT33EV? A very nice cart for around £300. I'd recommend a ZYX. Best cart I've ever owned. By a mile.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80
07-02-2017, 22:08
Here you go,. Either will be excellent.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftheartofsound%2Enet%2Ff orum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D49351&share_tid=49351&share_fid=4177&share_type=t

FS Nice couple of carts

Bonky
07-02-2017, 22:57
Here you go,. Either will be excellent.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftheartofsound%2Enet%2Ff orum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D49351&share_tid=49351&share_fid=4177&share_type=t

FS Nice couple of carts

Excellent; thanks; I've sent a PM but fear I may be too late.

...and Oliver ...thanks too...

BW

Bonky

Bigman80
08-02-2017, 00:06
Excellent; thanks; I've sent a PM but fear I may be too late.

...and Oliver ...thanks too...

BW

Bonky
[emoji106]

Bonky
08-02-2017, 21:21
[emoji106]

Nope, I got it...

Obviously not received it yet.

It's output is only 0.3mV - the AT I've got is 0.4mV and I think my pre-amp - a Cambridge CP2 is a little on the 'low' side. It feeds a passive preamp so I may need to increase the sensitivity of the Quad 306 (easy to do)/

Unless, of course, the cogniscentii have other ideas...?

And, thanks again Oliver.

BW

Bonky

Bigman80
09-02-2017, 00:34
Nope, I got it...

Obviously not received it yet.

It's output is only 0.3mV - the AT I've got is 0.4mV and I think my pre-amp - a Cambridge CP2 is a little on the 'low' side. It feeds a passive preamp so I may need to increase the sensitivity of the Quad 306 (easy to do)/

Unless, of course, the cogniscentii have other ideas...?

And, thanks again Oliver.

BW

Bonky
No worries Richard,

The AT!

I think they are right up there with the best. If I was in the market I'd have snatched it the second I saw it.

Do let me know what you think of it.

😀

Bigman80
09-02-2017, 00:36
PS the inspire TTs are very good aren't they. Had a Quest a while back. It was very impressive.

I would be tempted to upgrade the Cambridge phono stage.

For me, the biggest upgrade in sound quality was getting rid of a perfectly respectable PRO-JECT phono stage and going directly into a phono stage in an amp (NAD 312) less noise better detail, much better bass and treble. In fact I felt like I hadn't really heard my vinyl properly.

A good MC phono stage will bring the best out of your setup.

Only a suggestion or one for the future.

😁

Bonky
09-02-2017, 08:25
PS the inspire TTs are very good aren't they. Had a Quest a while back. It was very impressive.

I would be tempted to upgrade the Cambridge phono stage.

For me, the biggest upgrade in sound quality was getting rid of a perfectly respectable PRO-JECT phono stage and going directly into a phono stage in an amp (NAD 312) less noise better detail, much better bass and treble. In fact I felt like I hadn't really heard my vinyl properly.

A good MC phono stage will bring the best out of your setup.

Only a suggestion or one for the future.

😁

Hi, yes, I was thinking on the same lines. Any suggestions? Do I get a MM/MC preamp or just a MC one. Ideally, I think, I would prefer one that is configurable and with a gain control. Budget is somewhat limited however!

Thanks,

Richard.

CageyH
09-02-2017, 08:33
Why not get a head amp?

blackstar
09-02-2017, 08:49
I bought the Lentek MC head amp from Jerry recently and am running it through the MM stage of my OBH-15. It is better than the MC stage of the same phono amp, in my opinion. Seconded for a head amp/SUT.

Bigman80
09-02-2017, 09:43
Hi, yes, I was thinking on the same lines. Any suggestions? Do I get a MM/MC preamp or just a MC one. Ideally, I think, I would prefer one that is configurable and with a gain control. Budget is somewhat limited however!

Thanks,

Richard.
Presuming your amp has a MM only input,

There is a Fidelity Research FRT-3 on eBay for not bad money. Having owned one I can highly recommend it

The Lentek needs fettling to be "good" apparently but I have no experience with this

Firebottle was selling a couple of MC head amps recently on his trade account for under £100 which I've heard and can highly recommend also

Other than that, if I had the money there is a Fidelity Research FRT-5 on here @£400ish I think. I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat.

Plenty of options and opinions on here too.

If your amp doesn't have a built in phono stage then usually anything Graham Slee is very well regarded.

RothwellAudio
09-02-2017, 09:48
Presuming your amp has a MM only input...

The Cambridge CP2 is MM/MC.

DSJR
09-02-2017, 10:10
My experience is that the Lentek was designed a touch 'toppy' to go with the original softer-toned version of the Entre One cartridge they imported. I modified mine and it became quieter, but I was still plagued by battery life - a personal thing as the unit 'works' for ages on a set of batteries, but most of it at an estimated 80 - 90% and declining of full potential. Just my experiences of the units since the late 70's...

Depending on budget for an MC cartridge, the evergreen DL110 is safe-as-houses and works with most modern arms and phono stages. I love the BPS EVO3 but it's frail and I couldn't use one due to the skeletal nature. Over that, Hana are well liked by those who know them and available in low and 'higher' output versions. Ortofon's aren't the bargains they once were, but it's a huge range and none are bad.

Bigman80
09-02-2017, 10:30
The Cambridge CP2 is MM/MC.

It's a phono stage isn't it ? For amps without a phono stage ?

You'd need a MM stage on an amp to use a SUT or headamp

walpurgis
09-02-2017, 10:37
The Dynavector is vastly overpriced these days for what it offers.

Take a look at the Goldring Eroica high output MC. It's seldom mentioned on forums and in magazines, but it's a nice sounding cartridge with great manufacturer support in this country (if you break it, they'll fix it). Prices are fair too.

Bigman80
09-02-2017, 10:41
The Dynavector is vastly overpriced these days for what it offers.

Take a look at the Goldring Eroica high output MC. It's seldom mentioned on forums and in magazines, but it's a nice sounding cartridge with great manufacturer support in this country (if you break it, they'll fix it). Prices are fair too.
He bought the AT33PTG that was for sale on here. A fine choice.

RothwellAudio
09-02-2017, 10:43
It's a phono stage isn't it ? For amps without a phono stage ?

You'd need a MM stage on an amp to use a SUT or headamp.

Sorry, I thought your comment was directed at the OP. The OP doesn't have an MM-only amp.

Bigman80
09-02-2017, 10:50
Ah, so a phono stage is required. Hmmm Graham Slee ??

Bigman80
09-02-2017, 10:54
This'd do I think

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222384782871

blackstar
09-02-2017, 11:21
My experience is that the Lentek was designed a touch 'toppy' to go with the original softer-toned version of the Entre One cartridge they imported. I modified mine and it became quieter, but I was still plagued by battery life - a personal thing as the unit 'works' for ages on a set of batteries, but most of it at an estimated 80 - 90% and declining of full potential. Just my experiences of the units since the late 70's...

....that battery degradation is the one big pitfall I can see. I'll be monitoring to see how long one lasts before buying a few more, or perhaps a rechargable one. I was personally pleasantly surprised with the performance of the Lentek/DL-103 out of the box....but I am not sure if this was Jerry's personal one that he might have had modded at any point in the past; for example, it has better RCA plugs fitted. I should really ask him.

RothwellAudio
09-02-2017, 11:56
....that battery degradation is the one big pitfall I can see. I'll be monitoring to see how long one lasts before buying a few more, or perhaps a rechargable one. I was personally pleasantly surprised with the performance of the Lentek/DL-103 out of the box....but I am not sure if this was Jerry's personal one that he might have had modded at any point in the past; for example, it has better RCA plugs fitted. I should really ask him.

It shouldn't be a terribly difficult job to get the Lentek to run off a "wall wart" power supply, and it wouldn't have to be noisy either.

Arkless Electronics
09-02-2017, 12:11
If the Cambridge cp2 is the same or very similar to the old 640p and 651p you can have it converted to an Arkless 640P for £225. This will wup the project and the slee... and for less money.

There is a loan unit doing the rounds at the moment http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?49403-Arkless-640P-MC-MM-phono-loan-list

It has much higher output than the standard unit also and so is better suited to passive pres

Edit: Have checked on CP2 and it is suitable for modification.

Arkless Electronics
09-02-2017, 12:12
It shouldn't be a terribly difficult job to get the Lentek to run off a "wall wart" power supply, and it wouldn't have to be noisy either.

Not that easy....

Bonky
09-02-2017, 19:32
Thanks everyone; much appreciated. Apologies for the tardiness in replying but we have terrible problems with BT broadband here.

I think I'll wait and see what the new AT cartridge sounds like first but also take advantage of the Arkless free-trial unit if I can. Does that make sense?

BW

Richard

carruthersesq
12-02-2017, 09:33
Well Richard
Have you had chance to evaluate the the AT33ptg?

blackstar
12-02-2017, 10:03

Thanks for the feedback.

Bonky
12-02-2017, 13:58
Hi, yes; I've only just fitted it. It's a bit heavier than my previous AT MC so took a bit of 'fettling'. It's tracking at 2g.

So far: Domingo and Clapton (not on the same LP!). First impressions: very favourable... much sweeter and better defined treble - with a better bass extension as well. perhaps more susceptible to surface scratches.

The Tisbury passive preamp needs winding up to max or very near, so may need to contemplate a phono preamp that has a higher output than my Cambridge CP2 and/or to change the sensitivity of the Quad 306. I also have a Rega Brio R and Sugden A21A I could experiment with.

Thanks Steve; it was well packaged and arrived when you said it did despite Peak District snow.

Bw

Richard/Bonky

Well Richard
Have you had chance to evaluate the the AT33ptg?