PDA

View Full Version : Arkless 640P MC/MM phono loan list

Arkless Electronics
06-02-2017, 19:45
As the demo unit is back here with me and some further rave reviews have been posted here on AOS recently I thought it time to get it doing the rounds again.. so if anyone wishes to try this giant killing phono stage then please add your name below and I'll PM you to arrange it.

For the benefit of any one not familiar with what exactly it is well it's a Cambridge Audio 640P or 651P (other CA models are not suitable) with most of the innards replaced with my own design. Re-using the casework, sockets, PSU etc keeps the price down.

Here's a photo to illustrate how little of the original remains

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag156/Jez1235/SDC10435%20compressed_zpsxcnt2efz.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Jez1235/media/SDC10435%20compressed_zpsxcnt2efz.jpg.html)

NB In practice I don't remove all the parts but just bypass them. it would double the labour to pointlessly do this to every one. Everything no longer used is removed from this example to illustrate that in no way is it just a modified Cambridge Audio;)
A few changes to spec have been made since this old photo was taken, including MC/MM being selectable by a switch as standard rather than wire links needing to be cut internally.

Current price is £225 not including postage and of course you need a donor 640P/651P (which doesn't need to be a working one as nearly all the original parts are removed anyway!)

karma67
06-02-2017, 19:49
id like to try it please,
it would have to be in a weeks time though if thats ok?

Wakefield Turntables
06-02-2017, 19:53
Yep I'm on the look out for a new MM stage. Can I try please.

Arkless Electronics
06-02-2017, 19:55
id like to try it please,
it would have to be in a weeks time though if thats ok?

I would have thought you were sorted for a phono stage with the Nak CA5 but yep no problem. If anyone wants to try it first during the week you are not available and then post it on to you then better still...

Arkless Electronics
06-02-2017, 20:09
Yep I'm on the look out for a new MM stage. Can I try please.

I'm not sure it will be to your taste Andrew but yes you can indeed try it. It majors on grip, speed, PRaT, bass tightness, detail, neutrality and transparency.. to an extent that I welcome comparison with anything at any price in all these areas except the absolute level of transparency (which is still bloody marvellous at the price!). The areas in which its low price start to show are in front to back depth, naturalness of timbre on orchestral instruments etc... it's still very good at the price point (or even double) in these areas but it is in these areas that I would expect a £1K plus stage to beat it;).

I'll send it to you first as jamie123 can't try it for a week. Please PM me your details as I have cleaned out inbox since I last sent you anything.

karma67
06-02-2017, 20:19
I would have thought you were sorted for a phono stage with the Nak CA5 but yep no problem. If anyone wants to try it first during the week you are not available and then post it on to you then better still...
oh ok,well if you think its not as good then i wont bother,the firebottle came very close by the way,not much in it at all.

Arkless Electronics
06-02-2017, 20:22
oh ok,well if you think its not as good then i wont bother,the firebottle came very close by the way,not much in it at all.

I've no idea.... I've not compared them. The CA5 has a Threshold phono stage built in which would be £1k+ if available separately that's all. Please do try it:)

karma67
06-02-2017, 20:25
cool! yep ok id love to try it then in that case.

Arkless Electronics
06-02-2017, 20:27
cool! yep ok id love to try it then in that case.

:cool:

struth
06-02-2017, 20:31
I've no idea.... I've not compared them. The CA5 has a Threshold phono stage built in which would be £1k+ if available separately that's all. Please do try it:)

used to be mine :) Good pre and great phono. Dunno why I sold it :lol:

Stryder5
06-02-2017, 20:34
Could I join the list please?

Arkless Electronics
06-02-2017, 20:41
used to be mine :) Good pre and great phono. Dunno why I sold it :lol:

Yeah.. genuine Threshold phono boards from what I saw of one I once had in for repair... I thought it was going to become mine as the owner abandoned it with me for a year and a half..When it finally occurred to me that gear abandoned for that long can probably be legally sold on I thought I'll give it another week and then see what the law says... but the owner turned up out of the blue two days later! A good thing he did in hindsight as although I believe I would have technically been within my rights it could have landed me in a shit load of trouble due to legal technicalities:eek:

Arkless Electronics
06-02-2017, 20:42
Could I join the list please?

Indeed you can:)

Nickfna
07-02-2017, 00:11
Indeed you can:)

Me too, if that's ok?

Mikeandvan
07-02-2017, 10:46
Hi, add me to list please.

Arkless Electronics
07-02-2017, 11:56
OK that's Nickfna and Mikeandvan on the list as well.

Arkless Electronics
07-02-2017, 12:05
The loan unit will in the post today to Andrew (Rexton), then on to Jamie123

Arkless Electronics
09-02-2017, 12:28
It has just come to my attention on another thread that there is now a Cambridge Audio CP2 phono stage available which will replace the 651P. It is the same as a 651P internally except for, bizarrely, a balance control on the back.... which I would remove and bypass during mods. So yes it is suitable for conversion to Arkless 640P spec. Richer sounds are also selling of supposedly refurbished 651P's at £79 at the moment which could be useful for those looking for a donor unit.

Bonky
09-02-2017, 19:46
Please add my name to the list (I have a CP2).

Thanks

Richard (Sheffield).

Arkless Electronics
09-02-2017, 20:03
Please add my name to the list (I have a CP2).

Thanks

Richard (Sheffield).

Okeydoke:)

opt817
13-02-2017, 13:15
Hello,
I'm from Slovenia. Can you add me to the list too?

Arkless Electronics
13-02-2017, 13:51
Hello,

Sorry but it's UK only.

Arkless Electronics
14-02-2017, 13:26
Jamie123 your in box is full.

Wakefield Turntables
15-02-2017, 18:59
OK, will be posting to the next very lucky person on Friday.

Arkless Electronics
15-02-2017, 20:17
OK, will be posting to the next very lucky person on Friday.

Well there's nowt like an in depth user review.....

Sovereign
15-02-2017, 20:58
Put me on the list Jez, sent you a PM

Wakefield Turntables
15-02-2017, 20:59
Well there's nowt like an in depth user review.....

See my PM!

Arkless Electronics
15-02-2017, 21:21
Put me on the list Jez, sent you a PM

Got PM... you do know that the CA 540P is not suitable for a donor unit?

Arkless Electronics
15-02-2017, 21:23
See my PM!

Seen it and replied.

We can expect Andy's Stereophile like review at the weekend apparently:eyebrows:

Arkless Electronics
19-02-2017, 13:13
A link to the latest rave review http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?49670-REVIEW-Arkless-640P-MC-MM-phonostage

Arkless Electronics
19-02-2017, 13:18
Hello,

Although, as I said earlier, I cannot be sending the loan unit abroad, I will sell them unheard to EU countries. In the first wave of popularity of this unit, on another bigger forum, around 10 or so people bought these without hearing them and all were over the moon with the results. There were also a surprising amount who bought a brand new 640P or 651P from Richer Sounds and had it delivered directly to me for conversion!

Wakefield Turntables
24-02-2017, 22:14
Now posted onto the next lucky trialist.

Stryder5
27-02-2017, 14:58
Jez,

Your inbox is full

Arkless Electronics
27-02-2017, 15:15
Should be ok now

Arkless Electronics
27-02-2017, 15:48
Just to erm clarify the whole trying out the demo unit process.... Please keep the unit for no more than a week tops, preferably less. I do expect all those trying it to post a quick write up on it, although it's obviously not mandatory:) And finally, when posting it on please use a tracked, signed for courier service rather than the cheapest available.. it needs to actually get to the next on the list;)

Thanks,
Jez.

Stryder5
27-02-2017, 16:14
Just to erm clarify the whole trying out the demo unit process.... Please keep the unit for no more than a week tops, preferably less. I do expect all those trying it to post a quick write up on it, although it's obviously not mandatory:) And finally, when posting it on please use a tracked, signed for courier service rather than the cheapest available.. it needs to actually get to the next on the list;)

Thanks,
Jez.

I got a note saying it was nearly time to post on after in reality one day, after waiting 2 weeks.

Not enough time to assess in any way that would be definitive or accurate.

I appreciate the need to pass on in a timely manner.

Arkless Electronics
27-02-2017, 17:13
Gary received the unit on Saturday and was contacted this afternoon by PM to ask how he was getting on with it and to get a gentle prod that he should be thinking of winding up his listening soon and that I'd be in touch asap with an address to post it on to. He said he had only spent one day trying it.... and so I PM'ed back he is in that case welcome to keep it another couple of days... I got a curt "It's now packed, What's the next address?" back....

What I cannot be having is people receiving it and then maybe leaving the box on the sideboard for a week before getting round to trying it. If I'd known Rexton would keep it for two weeks he wouldn't have been offered a trial of it. I'm trying to make a living out of this...:rofl: there is only one demo unit and so it has to go from one person to another in a timely fashion.

In the first PM Gary described his finding's as "extremely positive", before saying he considers he hasn't had it long enough to say anything about it publicly, so that will have to do as Gary's review....

Wakefield Turntables
27-02-2017, 17:15
Yeah that's my fault, apologies to all. I'd had a really shit few days off work and subsequently didn't post when I should have done.

Stryder5
27-02-2017, 17:57
Gary received the unit on Saturday and was contacted this afternoon by PM to ask how he was getting on with it and to get a gentle prod that he should be thinking of winding up his listening soon and that I'd be in touch asap with an address to post it on to. He said he had only spent one day trying it.... and so I PM'ed back he is in that case welcome to keep it another couple of days... I got a curt "It's now packed, What's the next address?" back....

What I cannot be having is people receiving it and then maybe leaving the box on the sideboard for a week before getting round to trying it. If I'd known Rexton would keep it for two weeks he wouldn't have been offered a trial of it. I'm trying to make a living out of this...:rofl: there is only one demo unit and so it has to go from one person to another in a timely fashion.

In the first PM Gary described his finding's as "extremely positive", before saying he considers he hasn't had it long enough to say anything about it publicly, so that will have to do as Gary's review....

Nearly right, I suggest that you get addresses of next recipient prior to expecting it to be posted on, that causes it to "sit on the sideboard". Don't "prod" people without cause.

Your note, said you hadn't seen my response on the forum, knowing that I got it on Saturday, guess what....some off us have a life outside reviewing loan stuff.

With your attitude I wish you well in making a living, talent is no excuse for bad manners.

This my final word on this issue, don't pm me, put a note on here when you have directions for forthcoming loan issues.

Arkless Electronics
27-02-2017, 19:34
Nearly right, I suggest that you get addresses of next recipient prior to expecting it to be posted on, that causes it to "sit on the sideboard". Don't "prod" people without cause.

Your note, said you hadn't seen my response on the forum, knowing that I got it on Saturday, guess what....some off us have a life outside reviewing loan stuff.

With your attitude I wish you well in making a living, talent is no excuse for bad manners.

This my final word on this issue, don't pm me, put a note on here when you have directions for forthcoming loan issues.

You started it with the bad manners pal. As soon as you realised I was expecting you to get it off to the next person tout sweet rather than "when you get round to it" you couldn't have been much more rude/in a strop in making sure I knew damn well that you had instantly unplugged it, re-packed it and were refusing my offer of keeping it for a few more days. The "prod" was with good cause. it was my way of politely letting you know that you could expect to be given an address to send it on to within the next day or so and so not to leave it unheard in its box...

"some off us have a life outside reviewing loan stuff" yeah and unfortunately for me the only way i can pay the rent etc is through building, repairing and modding hi fi. If someone keeps the loan unit for weeks 'cos they can't be arsed to try it out or would rather be going to watch la la land then that's weeks in which no one is ordering an Arkless 640P and I have no income! Hence when anyone on here wants to try any piece of equipment I have available then I'm kind of hoping for it to be installed in your system the same day you receive it, tried extensively for a few days, a write up to be posted here and for it then to be posted on to the next interested party.... I'm a one man band not a corporation and at any one time I probably have only one or two customers/jobs on the go. I simply can't afford to be patient!!

I'll post the next person's name on here as you ask then Gary, as you are being so petulant as to ask me not to contact you! Which just means more of a fuck about for all parties, as I can't publish someone's address here you will then need to PM the person yourself, as will I.

Marco
27-02-2017, 20:27
I can appreciate both views here. The problem is 'expecting' something from someone that hasn't been agreed in advance (outlined in black and white), and then when it doesn't happen, getting annoyed/frustrated about it... The fact is, neither party here is being unreasonable; the fallout is simply down to a lack of communication on both sides.

What would solve this in future, Jez, if you outline *exactly* the procedure required when opting to borrow and listen to one of your demo units, specifically in relation to how long people are allowed to keep them for. It's then up to the loanee to ensure that they do what is required, and if not, then they would be 100% at fault.

In that respect, perhaps it'd be an idea to outline the required procedure on a thread in your trade room, and I'll sticky it, so that in future folks know exactly where they stand :)

Marco.

Gazjam
27-02-2017, 20:59
Jez,

your bleedin obvious engineering Nous notwithstanding, theres more to it that than that?
Take care of the folks that took a punt on you and you'll alway do ok....talking from experience Bud.

Bigman80
27-02-2017, 21:10
Smh. 🙄

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Arkless Electronics
27-02-2017, 21:10
I can appreciate both views here. The problem is 'expecting' something from someone that hasn't been agreed in advance (outlined in black and white), and then when it doesn't happen, getting annoyed/frustrated about it... The fact is, neither party here is being unreasonable; the fallout is simply down to a lack of communication on both sides.

What would solve this in future, Jez, if you outline *exactly* the procedure required when opting to borrow and listen to one of your demo units, specifically in relation to how long people are allowed to keep them for. It's then up to the loanee to ensure that they do what is required, and if not, then they would be 100% at fault.

In that respect, perhaps it'd be an idea to outline the required procedure on a thread in your trade room, and I'll sticky it, so that in future folks know exactly where they stand :)

Marco.

I have, ok belatedly.. outlined it earlier in the thread after this most unfortunate, and unintended by both I'm sure, situation arose today. It seems like a good idea though to make a thread in my trade room on this as you suggest Marco and I'll do so later on.

It's a tricky one as obviously my business model for gear I make works around people trying a demo unit to see if they want to buy one... the more people who get to try it the more may choose to buy one, but, there is only the one demo unit so I am kind of relying on people to realise this and make a wee bit of an effort to try it out and then get it sent on pronto to someone else:) With the higher end kit I would expect loans to be rather longer of course but please folks don't do something like go on holiday forgetting my demo unit is still in your system!

Arkless Electronics
27-02-2017, 21:21
Jez,

your bleedin obvious engineering Nous notwithstanding, theres more to it that than that?
Take care of the folks that took a punt on you and you'll alway do ok....talking from experience Bud.

eh? I do. I just wanted the demo unit sending on as soon as he'd tried it for say 3 days or so rather than it be sitting around for a week or two NOT being tried by another potential customer:)

Mikeandvan
27-02-2017, 21:27
eh? I do. I just wanted the demo unit sending on as soon as he'd tried it for say 3 days or so rather than it be sitting around for a week or two NOT being tried by another potential customer:)
I think its great that Jez has a 'try before you buy policy' as do other small manufacturers. I have borrowed a similar unit from a guy who posts on the PFM forum, and he sets out that you have the unit for 2 weeks then post it on. I'm not sure whether you have stipulated such a period of loan, but it would be helpful, I suggest one week. Look forward to receiving it myself.

Arkless Electronics
27-02-2017, 22:27
I think its great that Jez has a 'try before you buy policy' as do other small manufacturers. I have borrowed a similar unit from a guy who posts on the PFM forum, and he sets out that you have the unit for 2 weeks then post it on. I'm not sure whether you have stipulated such a period of loan, but it would be helpful, I suggest one week. Look forward to receiving it myself.

Thanks Mike. I presume you have seen my PM earlier today? I await your details and you are next. GARY. I presume you will see this Gary "Stryder5" and make your own arrangements with Mike to post the loan unit on. Please let me know here that you have posted it on if you still don't wish to PM me...

Mike. when I was selling loads of these on pfm the rule was try for 3 days then post on. I can stretch to a week if anyone really needs to... 2 weeks is fine for the high end gear but this is a budget unit...

Anyone else wanting to add their name to the list? I'll ask again after another review as that's when all the interest tends to happen but get yer names down now "to avoid disappointment"... as sales type people apparently say:D

Infinitely Baffled
07-03-2017, 00:11
Any more findings/reviews/impressions to be posted on this unit?

Mikeandvan
08-03-2017, 19:53
Any more findings/reviews/impressions to be posted on this unit?

I am the latest to trial Jez's Arkless phono stage, I had it about 4 days, which Jez was happy with, and I thank him for that. I sent it on today to Nickfa, 1st class recorded. I'm afraid I am not too familiar with hifi jargon so my review might sound like a child has written it! Also, I haven't tried any other phono stages apart from Naim, and the odd integrated amp with built in phono stage. What I will say is its been out of my system a few hours and I'm missing it! In my case that is partly due to the fact that it gave my Denon DL 110 a boost in gain over the stock Naim 322 MM boards in my Naim pre amp - the Nac 72, which I use with Nap 140/Teddycap. Current TT is stock Technics 1210 with Jelco 750D, someone might be able to tell me whether the DL 110 is a suitable match for the Jelco? I also had on loan the Ryan sound lab 321/729 boards to replace the Nac 72's, don't know how popular old Naim stuff is on this site, but they like it over on PFM (well many seem to be moving onto other things now), but the RSL boards are a superb step up for the 72, I already had them for 2 weeks, and I'm well aware of the difference adding the Arkless made. With the Arkless in place, music had a fair bit more life, and body. I have tried quite a few different components, such as amps, over the past 2 years, so when something reveals some previously hidden detail in music I know its a worth while upgrade, the Arkless did this. Well, I liked it , and will be buying one as soon some money becomes available, thankyou Jez.

Arkless Electronics
08-03-2017, 20:58
I am the latest to trial Jez's Arkless phono stage, I had it about 4 days, which Jez was happy with, and I thank him for that. I sent it on today to Nickfa, 1st class recorded. I'm afraid I am not too familiar with hifi jargon so my review might sound like a child has written it! Also, I haven't tried any other phono stages apart from Naim, and the odd integrated amp with built in phono stage. What I will say is its been out of my system a few hours and I'm missing it! In my case that is partly due to the fact that it gave my Denon DL 110 a boost in gain over the stock Naim 322 MM boards in my Naim pre amp - the Nac 72, which I use with Nap 140/Teddycap. Current TT is stock Technics 1210 with Jelco 750D, someone might be able to tell me whether the DL 110 is a suitable match for the Jelco? I also had on loan the Ryan sound lab 321/729 boards to replace the Nac 72's, don't know how popular old Naim stuff is on this site, but they like it over on PFM (well many seem to be moving onto other things now), but the RSL boards are a superb step up for the 72, I already had them for 2 weeks, and I'm well aware of the difference adding the Arkless made. With the Arkless in place, music had a fair bit more life, and body. I have tried quite a few different components, such as amps, over the past 2 years, so when something reveals some previously hidden detail in music I know its a worth while upgrade, the Arkless did this. Well, I liked it , and will be buying one as soon some money becomes available, thankyou Jez.

Thanks for the review Mike. Glad you like it... and even more so that you intend to buy one :) I presume you will be aware that you need a donor 640P/651P (which does not need to be working) so this will add about £50 to the £225 cost of turning it into an Arkless 640P.

If anyone else would like to try it just add your name below and you will go on the waiting list.

Nickfna
15-03-2017, 19:30
Just been lucky enough to have this phono stage in my possession for a few days,
Cheers Jez

Now I'm no expert in this so i won't try to use any fancy lingo/terminology
Plus my kit is quite modest and i don't have any reference points with phono stages apart from the base unit this is modded from.

Wow, It's like a blanket has been lifted, everything is bigger, better and ballsier than before. The soundstage is huge and with great depth, vinyl I've been listening to for thirty forty years all sound like the greatest remasters ever(Christ i sound like a giddy)

To sum up this very short review (sorry shit with words) its been great fun listening to this for a the last few days and my base unit will be off
To Jez in next couple of weeks for him to work his magic.

Cheers
Nick.

Arkless Electronics
15-03-2017, 20:24
Thanks for the write up Nick and I'll wait to hear from you re modding your own unit :)

Now then, are there any more AOS members who would like to try this giant slaying phono stage? Don't be shy.... Add your name below...

karma67
15-03-2017, 20:27
im back in the frame now jez please

Arkless Electronics
15-03-2017, 20:29
im back in the frame now jez please

OK no problemo... please PM me to remind me of your details and I'll forward them to Nick.

karma67
15-03-2017, 20:32
done :)

Arkless Electronics
22-03-2017, 19:10
I presume "Bonky" no longer wishes to try the demo unit? I had no reply from a PM asking for his address...

karma67
26-03-2017, 18:18
well ive had some time now with the unit and here's my thoughts.
its good,very good! ive only got the phono satge in my nakamichi pre amp to compare it too and its not a million miles away.it loses out in the top end clarity to the nak which sounds more detailed and smoother,the 640p sounded slighty grainy in this area (to me).
i also had a lot of hum issues with the 640p.
im not very good at describing what i hear,so apologies for a brief review, i wanted to take it to my mate ian's who is better at it than me but his deck is out of commission at the moment.

for those on the look out for a phono stage id recommend this unit for its value for money.
thanks for the loan jez,its on its way to the next on the list :)

Arkless Electronics
26-03-2017, 19:49
well ive had some time now with the unit and here's my thoughts.
its good,very good! ive only got the phono satge in my nakamichi pre amp to compare it too and its not a million miles away.it loses out in the top end clarity to the nak which sounds more detailed and smoother,the 640p sounded slighty grainy in this area (to me).
i also had a lot of hum issues with the 640p.
im not very good at describing what i hear,so apologies for a brief review, i wanted to take it to my mate ian's who is better at it than me but his deck is out of commission at the moment.

for those on the look out for a phono stage id recommend this unit for its value for money.
thanks for the loan jez,its on its way to the next on the list :)

There should be absolutely zero hum present. It's dead quite. I can only imagine that it's been positioned on another unit with a transformer right below it or some such.... Or maybe an arm earthing issue...
Other than that well as the phono board in Jamie's Nak is a Nelson Pass Threshold board (the "real thing" rather than built under licence by Nak) and would, if for sale today as a stand alone phono stage, be around £1700, I reckon that's a pretty good review! Cheers Jamie and ta for posting it on :)

Arkless Electronics
27-03-2017, 14:06
Would anyone else like to try the best budget phono stage around? Just add your name underneath or PM me :)

struth
27-03-2017, 14:37
There should be absolutely zero hum present. It's dead quite. I can only imagine that it's been positioned on another unit with a transformer right below it or some such.... Or maybe an arm earthing issue...
Other than that well as the phono board in Jamie's Nak is a Nelson Pass Threshold board (the "real thing" rather than built under licence by Nak) and would, if for sale today as a stand alone phono stage, be around £1700, I reckon that's a pretty good review! Cheers Jamie and ta for posting it on :)

Was mine that Nak.. very decent stage it was too.

Arkless Electronics
27-03-2017, 18:43
There are literally dozens of comparative reviews already extant both here and especially (mainly) on pfm where the Arkless 640P comes up against most of the rival models from companies such as Trichord, Whest, Project etc, most of them £100-300 more expensive than the Arkless, and thrashes the lot... several reviews can be found where it is preferred to £1000+ units. It is this legacy which I believe gives credence to my claim that it's (in Carlsberg voice-over!) "Probably the best budget phono stage in the world".

As I've said before, the Dynavector P75 is, I would say, its main rival, in as much as being the cheapest alternative to give the Arkless 640P a good run for its money. Several reviews place the Arkless 640P against the P75, a few prefer the Arkless whilst a few prefer the Dynavector. All said there is not much in it (apparently the Arkless wins on PRaT and bass tightness whilst the Dynavector wins on spaciousness and sound-staging... for anyone that interested:)) The Arkless 640P is £225 plus about £50 for a second-hand donor unit. The Dynavector, considered quite a giant killer itself... is £700!

Marco
28-03-2017, 19:46
Guys,

I've tidied the thread up a bit, so I'll point a things out....

First of all, let's remember that this thread is essentially an extension of Jez's trade room, designed to promote discussion of his products in the main area of the forum, so I would ask that everyone bears that in mind in future and refrains from making any blatantly negative remarks, liable to hinder that process.

I've read some of the comments made earlier, and whilst I think that Jez has overreacted a little, it's understandable, given what's happened to him the past, being a bit paranoid that someone might, shall we say, not have his best interests at heart.

In that respect, it should be noted that we would take a very dim view indeed of anyone attempting to 'set up' a registered trader, in the way suggested, and those responsible would almost certainly be banned with immediate effect. However, I've assured Jez that I'd be very hopeful no-one's like that on AoS.

Anyway, let's get things back on track! :cool:

Marco.

Stryder5
28-03-2017, 20:59
Guys,

I've tidied the thread up a bit, so I'll point a things out....

First of all, let's remember that this thread is essentially an extension of Jez's trade room, designed to promote discussion of his products in the main area of the forum, so I would ask that everyone bears that in mind in future and refrains from making any negative remarks, liable to hinder that process.

I've read some of the comments made earlier, and whilst I think that Jez has overreacted a little, it's understandable, given what's happened to him the past, being a bit paranoid that someone might, shall we say, not have his best interests at heart.

In that respect, it should be noted that we would take a very dim view indeed of anyone attempting to 'set up' a registered trader, in the way suggested, and those responsible would almost certainly be banned with immediate effect. However, I've assured Jez that I'd be very hopeful no-one's like that on AoS.

Anyway, let's get things back on track! :cool:

Marco.

I just need to understand some things.

I don't know anything about Jez's past, nor do I care, it's irrelevant.

Jez asks for reviews on his product, do I understand, looking at your comments above re negative remarks, is it then to be assumed that only positive reviews are pertinent?

I cannot understand why there are should be any negative reviews, just want to be clear about the rules. Do I understand that comparisons may not be made as they may not be positive?

Another comment about "registered trader in the way suggested" can you clarify "the way suggested" I saw one unsubstantiated comment.

I certainly cannot be considered as advertising any products. I pass comments on things I see and hear.

I have learnt a lot since joining this forum and enjoy being here, long may it continue.

Just want clarification on above.

Marco
28-03-2017, 21:33
Hi Gary,

I just need to understand some things.

I don't know anything about Jez's past, nor do I care, it's irrelevant.

Excellent.

Jez asks for reviews on his product, do I understand, looking at your comments above re negative remarks, is it then to be assumed that only positive reviews are pertinent?

Nope, not at all. All I insist on from anyone, who tries a product from Jez, are honest and constructive appraisals, free from any personal agendas.

What I don't want here is anything blatantly negative written, designed simply to undermine Jez or the success of his products. Worry not, as nothing you wrote remotely comes under that category!

Another comment about "registered trader in the way suggested" can you clarify "the way suggested" I saw one unsubstantiated comment.

I certainly cannot be considered as advertising any products. I pass comments on things I see and hear.

Sorry, I've no idea what any of that means, or what you're referring to. Could you explain it again and quote directly what you're referring to?

I have learnt a lot since joining this forum and enjoy being here, long may it continue.

Good stuff, and your contributions are welcome :)

Marco.

Stryder5
29-03-2017, 07:04
From your (Marco) post above.

It's no wonder I couldn't explain, as I didn't really understand this:)

If you could expand on this?

The only reference I could find (within the context of all above posts) was to allege that a forum member was acting as the Marketing Manager for another member.

Gary

Bigman80
29-03-2017, 09:07

The only reference I could find (within the context of all above posts) was to allege that a forum member was acting as the Marketing Manager for another member.

Gary
I think Marco was referring to Jez's concern that my offer to borrow and review it in a comparison with the FB-OTP was a stitch up. That i was going to borrow it in a deliberate ploy to bad mouth Jez's arkless phono stage .

Anyone who knows me will attest that i am not like that and the offer was in the genuine interest of seeing how they compared.

I felt it was a good opportunity to get that out in the forum and would have been very beneficial to any member who may have been considered either unit.

Yes Alan and I are friends, but my opinion would have been unbiased.

As a member of this forum i have never deceived anyone or written a single word that was untrue. I've sold multiple items here and never made a profit as the spirit of the forum is to help each other. That's my view anyway.

Jez and i have spoken privately which is the way it should have been done originally and we both understand each others motives. All is well.

Any review Should be fair and honest or there is no point doing them. I'm sure Marco, Jez and everyone will agree with that.

Let's move on everyone and let Jez get his loaner unit out and about and hopefully generate some sales for him.

Stryder5
29-03-2017, 09:26
I think Marco was referring to Jez's concern that my offer to borrow and review it in a comparison with the FB-OTP was a stitch up. That i was going to borrow it in a deliberate ploy to bad mouth Jez's arkless phono stage .

Anyone who knows me will attest that i am not like that and the offer was in the genuine interest of seeing how they compared.

I felt it was a good opportunity to get that out in the forum and would have been very beneficial to any member who may have been considered either unit.

Yes Alan and I are friends, but my opinion would have been unbiased.

As a member of this forum i have never deceived anyone or written a single word that was untrue. I've sold multiple items here and never made a profit as the spirit of the forum is to help each other. That's my view anyway.

Jez and i have spoken privately which is the way it should have been done originally and we both understand each others motives. All is well.

Any review Should be fair and honest or there is no point doing them. I'm sure Marco, Jez and everyone will agree with that.

Let's move on everyone and let Jez get his loaner unit out and about and hopefully generate some sales for him.

This is what I thought, just seeking clarification of the foundation that required Marco's comments.

Marco
29-03-2017, 09:55

Hi Gary,

Ok, I simply meant anyone who would ask to demo something Jez has built, with the sole intention of later posting negatively about it, in order to, shall we say, 'facilitate the interests' of a competitor. And that applies not only to stuff Jez makes, but also that of any other trader here.

As Negan would say on The Walking Dead (apologies if you don't follow the programme), we would: 'shut that shit down'! [In no uncertain terms] ;)

Marco.

P.S Just seen your post, Oliver - spot on :thumbsup:

Arkless Electronics
30-03-2017, 12:23
Ok then to get this thread back on its intended course, would anyone else like to try the Arkless 640P phono stage in their own system for a few days?

blackstar
30-03-2017, 12:56
Jez,

I am currently using an Edwards Audio MC-1 and would like to test drive your phono stage if possible. Don't worry; I won't be looking to write an A-B comparison report, just how it behaves with my DL-301 Mk2 cart. Please let me know how to kick this off.

Regards

M

Stryder5
30-03-2017, 13:37
Jez,

I am currently using an Edwards Audio MC-1 and would like to test drive your phono stage if possible. Don't worry; I won't be looking to write an A-B comparison report, just how it behaves with my DL-301 Mk2 cart. Please let me know how to kick this off.

Regards

M

Hi,

Just put a post on here, Jez will pick it up, or pm him.

Arkless Electronics
30-03-2017, 13:37
Jez,

Regards

M

No problem, and A-B compare all you want:) Send me a PM with with your details and you can try it after "Sovereign" who has it now.

Sovereign
08-04-2017, 08:51
Ok, quick and interesting update. I've been struggling with my vinyl front end, trying to get it to sound as I want it.
I took delivery of the Arkless Electronics (Jez) heavily modified Cambridge Audio phono stage . I listened for about an hour last night I I found the music, Lenny Kravitz-Are you gonna go my way, thoroughly engaging. The sound was bigger and bass had a deeper and more authoritative drive to it. The music was very present and in the room, mid range was truely excellent with a wide and tonaly accurate sound. The treble was well balanced and kept me attentive.
I was very happy indeed. My other phonostage had me in tears. As much as I tried to be engaged, with my other phono stage had me board to tears, and very frustrated. Swap it for the Arkless one and the music is very big, bold and the midrange and treble had me looking left, right, left, right like I was at a tennis match. Harmonies and symbols etc were popping out all over the place.
After the album was finished I was really impressed, and chuffed.
I have to send this demo unit on pretty soon, but it has given me great insight into what a TT can do in my system. As I haven't had my digital front end for about a month now as it's being upgraded, this is the first time I've been able to sit down and listen to music without being frustrated. I must admit I am seriously tempted to spend a bit of money on my TT, but I mustn't, not in this season.
A couple of night later I had a friend come round and he brought round some rock albums I used to listen to as a teenager, these cought me emotionally and I found myself shouting at the speakers as I was remembering these albums from 25-30 years ago. It was a great night.
Well done Jez at Arkless.

Arkless Electronics
08-04-2017, 11:17
Thanks for the write up James. Glad you enjoyed it:)

Would anyone else like to try the Arkless 640P demo unit?

Arkless Electronics
09-04-2017, 16:48
A bump to see if anyone else wants to try this wonderful phono stage?

Arkless Electronics
14-04-2017, 12:09
Another shout out to anyone looking for the ultimate VFM in phono stages! Available for home demo now, just PM me.

blackstar
15-04-2017, 15:14
Arkless MM/MC Phono Amplifier Review

To start, I use an Edwards Audio MC1 Phono Amp with a NAS Interspace Jr/Jelco Sa-750D arm and Denon DL-301 Mk2 cartridge.

I received the Arkless and wasted no time setting it up using the 100 ohm loading plugs and setting up for MC playback. The first thing I noticed was quietness; a very low noise floor. I pushed the volume up to see what happened and very little did. There is very little circuit noise being introduced by this amp.
I reached for one of my test records, Love Over Gold - Dire Straits. The MC1 does a very good job on tight bass and believable treble and the Arkless matched it punch for punch. The improvement was in soundstage. The MC1 does soundstage very well but the Arkless eclipsed it; separation and positioning of the band was excellent.

Next up was Louis and Ella - Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald. Now you might think that this isn't much of a test, without much in the way of musical complexity. However, it is a good test for reproduction of voice and Satchmo's gravelly sound up against the liquid gold of the best female voice perhaps ever was given the Midas touch by the Arkless amp. It was a beautiful thing, being faced up by the two jazz greats, positioned exactly as they would have been all those years ago. On an inferior amp, listening to a voice like Armstrong's can be fatiguing, where the coarseness is only multiplied. It was a joy throughout, so much so that I threw it back on straight after side two had finished.

I can go on about the A/B testing that I carried out over the space of a couple of days but the results are all the same. Don't worry about how the MC1 fared, the Arkless was as good, no even better than the reviews I have read before. What can I say about this amp then? Soundstage, air between instruments, ultra low noise floor, faithful reproduction to what was originally recorded and with a range of loading plugs to adjust for any cartridge it will satisfy even the most overzealous tweaker!

Buy one at your peril, you'll have to upgrade the rest of your kit to even keep up with it! Thanks for the lends Jez, now who is next?!

Arkless Electronics
18-04-2017, 12:36
Last chance to try the Arkless 640P for some time folks.... If anyone's looking for the best budget phono stage for their system don't put it off as I will be asking the last person to try it (Blackstar) to return the demo unit to me if there are no more people out there interested in trying it. There will then be no chance to hear it in your own system unless SEVERAL people all wish to hear it once again and a new loan list can be formed.

Arkless Electronics
19-04-2017, 12:02
Last chance to hear this phono stage for a good while folks... ask next week and the answer will be no...

Leftfield
19-04-2017, 17:55
Jez
I'd be interested in demoing this for a few days if available? I'm not sure I'm getting the sound I want from my Graham Slee Era V Gold. Would the Arkless be ok with my AT150mlx as I have read it favours adjustable MM loading but have never tried a phone stage where this can be done.

Arkless Electronics
19-04-2017, 18:23
Jez
I'd be interested in demoing this for a few days if available? I'm not sure I'm getting the sound I want from my Graham Slee Era V Gold. Would the Arkless be ok with my AT150mlx as I have read it favours adjustable MM loading but have never tried a phone stage where this can be done.

Okeydoke I'll have it sent on to you next Simon. PM me your details. It's fully compatible with ALL cartridges and can be set to ANY loading. This is done with loading plugs which need making up for whatever load is desired. This requires no more than to solder a resistor into a phono plug and repeat for the other plug but I can supply loading plugs to any spec.
I would not expect loading changes to make huge differences.... but I would expect the Slee to get its botty spanked by the Arkless 640P! :eyebrows:

Leftfield
20-04-2017, 07:53
Thanks Jez. Pm sent with details.

blackstar
21-04-2017, 16:12
On its way Simon. Enjoy yourself.

ekfc63
22-04-2017, 15:46
Currently using a Roksan Shiraz with the Roksan reference phono stage. Tried the new Vertere Phono-1 which I found to be a small improvement, but not worth changing for. Wondering about yours. I am based in Canada (110V). I do have a transformer that I use to run UK gear here.

Arkless Electronics
22-04-2017, 15:59
Currently using a Roksan Shiraz with the Roksan reference phono stage. Tried the new Vertere Phono-1 which I found to be a small improvement, but not worth changing for. Wondering about yours. I am based in Canada (110V). I do have a transformer that I use to run UK gear here.

If you can get a donor unit to me or buy one in the UK and have it sent to me then I can make you one and send it to Canada yes. Obviously no chance of hearing it before buying though!

ekfc63
23-04-2017, 16:04
If you can get a donor unit to me or buy one in the UK and have it sent to me then I can make you one and send it to Canada yes. Obviously no chance of hearing it before buying though!

Sadly a deal killer for me. Hard to buy sight unseen (heard).

Arkless Electronics
23-04-2017, 16:23
Sadly a deal killer for me. Hard to buy sight unseen (heard).

You thought I was going to arrange to send a £225 phono stage to Canada 5000 miles away for you to try it? :lol:

Actually around a third of all the people who bought one have indeed done so without hearing it and none have been less than delighted.

Arkless Electronics
29-04-2017, 14:10
Looking forward to "leftfield"'s write up and in the meantime who else would like to try the Arkless 640P?

Leftfield
01-05-2017, 13:20
Arkless 640p review
So I've had the Arkless 640p on demo for a few days and as agreed, below is a write up of my experience with it.
Firstly, I don't have much experience with phono amps, I initially used the inbuilt stage from a previous Roksan Kandy integrated amp, then an old Creek phono stage, on to my current Graham Slee Era V gold and now the Arkless 640p demo unit.
Each one has been a step up in performance from the previous, until now. It is difficult to say on the Arkless in 'better' than the Era but it certainly presents music in a different way. As other reviewers have pointed out, the Arkless seems to focus on midrange giving a clear start/finish to each note. It is not bass shy, but sounds a little lighter than the Era, which given my smallish room and PMC speakers gives a taught controlled bass. Perhaps it would be fair to say the Arkless is a little more focused while the Era is more "airy"??
I have played Paul McCartney "Band on the run", Tears For Fears "Songs from the big chair", Guns n roses "Appetite for destruction", R.E.M. "Out of time" through a variety of other genres up to one of my most recent purchases, The 1975 "I like it when you sleep....." and the Arkless has had my foot tapping and me searching for the next record to play.
Is the Arkless for me? Quite probably. It has made me realise that within my modest budgets there are a variety of products that reproduce their own version of recorded music. Which you prefer is down to system/room synergy, musical tastes and individual ear.
I like digital music and am very happy with the sound I have on that format, however I enjoy the process of listening to a vinyl record. The Arkless has narrowed the gap between my two sources whilst feeding the vinyl addiction.
Thank you Jez.

Arkless Electronics
01-05-2017, 14:37
Arkless 640p review
So I've had the Arkless 640p on demo for a few days and as agreed, below is a write up of my experience with it.
Firstly, I don't have much experience with phono amps, I initially used the inbuilt stage from a previous Roksan Kandy integrated amp, then an old Creek phono stage, on to my current Graham Slee Era V gold and now the Arkless 640p demo unit.
Each one has been a step up in performance from the previous, until now. It is difficult to say on the Arkless in 'better' than the Era but it certainly presents music in a different way. As other reviewers have pointed out, the Arkless seems to focus on midrange giving a clear start/finish to each note. It is not bass shy, but sounds a little lighter than the Era, which given my smallish room and PMC speakers gives a taught controlled bass. Perhaps it would be fair to say the Arkless is a little more focused while the Era is more "airy"??
I have played Paul McCartney "Band on the run", Tears For Fears "Songs from the big chair", Guns n roses "Appetite for destruction", R.E.M. "Out of time" through a variety of other genres up to one of my most recent purchases, The 1975 "I like it when you sleep....." and the Arkless has had my foot tapping and me searching for the next record to play.
Is the Arkless for me? Quite probably. It has made me realise that within my modest budgets there are a variety of products that reproduce their own version of recorded music. Which you prefer is down to system/room synergy, musical tastes and individual ear.
I like digital music and am very happy with the sound I have on that format, however I enjoy the process of listening to a vinyl record. The Arkless has narrowed the gap between my two sources whilst feeding the vinyl addiction.
Thank you Jez.

A good but slightly disappointing review... but as the author has PM'ed me enquiring about purchasing an Arkless 640P I guess it must have impressed overall:)

I seem to recall previous reviews against the Slee ending up with "The Arkless is in another league" type comments but peoples ears and systems are all wild card factors I guess. I don't personally agree with the subjective comments and don't recall anyone else saying it focuses on the midrange (the most commonly repeated comment has been the very tight bass I would say. Check the reviews out yourselves!) but subjective is as subjective does n all that.... It is an unusually accurate and wideband phono stage and is flat from about 1Hz to 100KHz with RIAA accuracy of better than 0.1dB so there is nothing to comment on as far as tonal balance goes IMHO... It sounds like CD in its accurate tonality and frequency balance would be a good way of describing it. Obviously its accuracy will allow the balance of the cartridge used to be fully revealed!

As Simon, "Leftfield" has asked all sorts of questions about the Turbo version in his PM I will point out again that the Turbo and Turbo+ versions are no longer "official" Arkless products. I will make them if someone asks, but the reason I stopped, even though they were quite popular, is that personally I don't think the increase in sound quality over the standard version is enough to justify their existence. The cost of components and extra labour involved meant that they are a LOT more expensive but, IMHO, the increase in sound quality is slight... The law of diminishing returns n all that. There are old reviews out there if anyone is interested but there is no demo unit for the Turbo and I will not be making one.

So.... would anyone else like to be next to try this lovely phono stage?

Arkless Electronics
02-05-2017, 13:27
Who would like to try the Arkless 640P next?

Arkless Electronics
03-05-2017, 10:29
A bump for the Arkless 640P. Available for home demo now.

rigger67
03-05-2017, 11:09
I'd like to have a go.

I've got a Musical Fidelity V-XLPS v3 and, as I've said before elsewhere on the forum, I'm extremely happy with my digital set-up but my vinyl tends to be a bit less consistent, depending on what I'm listening to.
For the deck I've got, I think it should be a better all round sound.

Sorry, I've not done this kind of thing before - do I PM you my address and PayPal you for courier charges ??

Arkless Electronics
03-05-2017, 11:49
I'd like to have a go.

I've got a Musical Fidelity V-XLPS v3 and, as I've said before elsewhere on the forum, I'm extremely happy with my digital set-up but my vinyl tends to be a bit less consistent, depending on what I'm listening to.
For the deck I've got, I think it should be a better all round sound.

Sorry, I've not done this kind of thing before - do I PM you my address and PayPal you for courier charges ??

Strangely, I thought you had one already.... do I recall correctly you replying to one for sale here on AOS a while back?

Yes you are very welcome to try it... just PM me your address. The way it works is the person who has it now sends it to you at their expense and then you do the same for the next loanee.

I'd strongly recommend a better cartridge BTW!! It's a bit of a weak link in the context of an LP12 and Ittok....

rigger67
03-05-2017, 12:16
Strangely, I thought you had one already.... do I recall correctly you replying to one for sale here on AOS a while back?

Yes you are very welcome to try it... just PM me your address. The way it works is the person who has it now sends it to you at their expense and then you do the same for the next loanee.

I'd strongly recommend a better cartridge BTW!! It's a bit of a weak link in the context of an LP12 and Ittok....

I've been thinking about the cart for a while - you're right.
Actually, I think I'll do that first and live with the MF for a while to see what a difference that makes :D

Thanks for the advice !

struth
03-05-2017, 12:45
Actually, I think I'll do that first and live with the MF for a while to see what a difference that makes :D

Thanks for the advice !

would give you a better idea of where the problem might lie. not tried that cart but sure you could do better without breaking bank.

Arkless Electronics
03-05-2017, 13:57

Thanks for the advice !

Talked meself out of a potential sale there then... :D I had a P77 when they were new and didn't like it that much. Too warm, rounded and lacking in detail for my ears...

rigger67
03-05-2017, 14:06
Talked meself out of a potential sale there then... :D I had a P77 when they were new and didn't like it that much. Too warm, rounded and lacking in detail for my ears...

Not necessarily - you may just be unwittingly playing the long game ;)

Arkless Electronics
04-05-2017, 17:32
A Thursday bump....

Arkless Electronics
06-05-2017, 13:57
Saturday bump

Arkless Electronics
07-05-2017, 15:41
Last chance to try this lovely sounding phono stage for a while folks... if anyone's considering giving it a go then now's the time as I'll be recalling it from the last loanee in a couple of days if there's no more interest at the moment. Once this happens it will not be available for demo until such time as I can get a list of several interested people once again. You can of course still buy one unheard after this.