PDA

View Full Version : Greetings one and all !

SiT4
06-02-2017, 17:19
Hi All, Very happy to be here.

Been into this for about 17 years and system has gone through various incarnations.
Current System is LP12/ARO/Lingo 1/ DV17D3/Tom Evans Microgroove Plus/
Avondale Grad 1 and MB1 Avondale Monoblocks/ Shahinian Arcs

Sometimes i switch to Nait 2 with Stirling LS3/5a V2 speakers using the Lp12 which sounds very lovely
and involving for such a simple set up.

Been happy with the same setup for at least 10 years but just lately been curious about what a Technics 1210
modded deck could do and how it might give the LP12 a run for its money. That search has led me here !

Would love to hear a Technics with Aro if anyone has done it ?? Also interested in listening to Harbeths
and any experience any of you fellas have with moving that route from the Shahinians would be very welcome.

Music wise its all over the place. Used to listen to a lot of dance music,Chicago/Detroit Deep house, Classic Dub and Roots
like Tubby Observer, Prince far i, Culture etc.
Now all over the place from Folk to Funk but generally percussive with female vocals.

That'll do for now. Thanks for having me.

Si

struth
06-02-2017, 17:26
Hi Simon, welcome to AoS. Hope you enjoy it:)

Macca
06-02-2017, 18:57
Hi Simon, welcome to the forum.

RobbieGong
06-02-2017, 20:05
Hi All, Very happy to be here.

Been into this for about 17 years and system has gone through various incarnations.
Current System is LP12/ARO/Lingo 1/ DV17D3/Tom Evans Microgroove Plus/
Avondale Grad 1 and MB1 Avondale Monoblocks/ Shahinian Arcs

Sometimes i switch to Nait 2 with Stirling LS3/5a V2 speakers using the Lp12 which sounds very lovely
and involving for such a simple set up.

Been happy with the same setup for at least 10 years but just lately been curious about what a Technics 1210
modded deck could do and how it might give the LP12 a run for its money. That search has led me here !

Would love to hear a Technics with Aro if anyone has done it ?? Also interested in listening to Harbeths
and any experience any of you fellas have with moving that route from the Shahinians would be very welcome.

Music wise its all over the place. Used to listen to a lot of dance music,Chicago/Detroit Deep house, Classic Dub and Roots
like Tubby Observer, Prince far i, Culture etc.
Now all over the place from Folk to Funk but generally percussive with female vocals.

That'll do for now. Thanks for having me.

Si

Greetings Simon, Nice to have you on board.
Being the proud owner of a well modded SL1210 I'll say this, you are most definitely in the right place.
I've had my MK5g from new.
The SL12XX is a cool deck in stock form. Pluses are, in my opinion of course, looks good, bullet proof solid build (Have you ever lifted one ?, solid and heavy)
Easy to use - on the fly vta is a peach.
Soundwise - In stock form ok but looking back it's tonal presentation is not what I'd call accurate amongst other things.
Modded, well that for me is where the magic happens. You are building on the foundation of a fabulous direct drive quartz locked system that drives music along with perfect pitch and musicality.
Stock arm and platter are made to a price point.
The arm will do even the better mm's justice. Mine from stock sounded lovely with the 2M Black on board.
That said the arm can be bettered quite easily for not daft money, which will do a decent and fairly reasonably priced moving coil more justice than the stock arm will.
The stock platter - rings like a bell. Some folk do things with it (extra damping etc to address this) The Mike New ETP platter in my experience (not cheap) is an absolutely genuine and excellent upgrade.
The original bearing again is built to a price point - does it's job but the Mike New bearing and base plate is a different ball game, makes the original bearing look and feel like a toy.
There are a number of external power supplies as well as armboard upgrades.
It can cost but it doesnt have to. Do as much as you choose, one upgrade (or two) at a time has been my approach and my Techie will remain my last and only deck.
Modded it is a whole different deck to when I had it stock, aesthetically but most importantly sonically to a far greater extent ;)
Pop into Techiepedia (in Analogue Art) where you'll find loads of info and guidance regarding modding the SL12XX)
More than enough Techie fans here happy to offer advise so post away :)

Good to have another reggae fan onboard - Have some Culture vibes on me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEMH_o5U9Lc

All the best
Rob

Barry
06-02-2017, 20:07
Welcome to AoS Simon.

You have a very decent system as it is, however your interest in the Technics TT could result in a long road of upgrades and fettling; most of the Tecnics decks discussed here are not stock items.

Anyway enjoy the Forum
Barry

Spectral Morn
06-02-2017, 21:05
Welcome to AoS

The Black Adder
06-02-2017, 21:55
Welcome to AOS, Simon.

Hope you find useful :)

Ian7633
06-02-2017, 22:55
Hi Simon and welcome.
I made the move from an LP12 to direct drive recently, I loved the sounds that came from the old fruit box but to take it any further down the upgrade route was just too much money. I bought the Toshiba SR-370 with an SME 3009 S2 and fitted my 2m Black and I struggle to find fault with it. I would think a Techie with the Naim Aro would be pretty special but there are proper Techie experts here to advise.
I've had my Harbeth Compact 7s for about 25 years now and despite trying other speakers I go back to the Harbeths. They just give the music without adding or removing anything. I see you are in Sussex, if you get around this way you are welcome to have a listen.

walpurgis
06-02-2017, 23:13
Hello Simon. Welcome to AOS.

You have some interesting choices in decent equipment. It's nice to be able to change about now and then, Many of us here do that.

A Techie with an ARO is not a combination I've heard of being used. Interesting idea. Bet somebody has tried it somewhere though. :)

There is a none too well known alternative direct drive turntable that will definitely give a Linn a run for it's money. The Toshiba SR-370. They have gained popularity here recently.

Anyway. Take a look around the site and feel free to join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

walpurgis
06-02-2017, 23:16
Ha. I see Ian has just mentioned the SR-370 too. I must have been typing at the time. Great minds, as they say.

SiT4
06-02-2017, 23:29
Hey Thanks for the warm welcome all! Its much appreciated.

Rob thanks for the detailed advice, its very welcome (plus i never tire of a bit of culture so thanks for the link!).

Although i love the LP12 i guess there's a part of me that always wished I owned the Technics decks as its such an iconic part of club/ dj culture. But when i got into HiFi no one seemed to take that deck seriously other than DJ's and 'non hifi' people.

So when i found out many years later that you can mod and get stunning performance to rival other decks it whetted my appetite, plus i like the idea of minimal maintenance once the deck is set up and rock solid reliability for not too much cash it starts to appeal.
Plus the money i have invested in my current system could be used elsewhere right now.

So i guess the aim would be to get a decent stock 1210 deck and a good cheapish MC cart and take it from there.

Ian , i would love to take you up on your offer since i am only down the road in Brighton. I have had those Harbeths on my list for some time. I love the BBC type designs for what they do musically. and if they do anything like the Stirlings Nait combo for musicality, timing and naturalness but with a wider tonal range then that sounds right up my street. Let me know when would suit you and if you wanted to dem anything i've got then just let me know.

Thanks all again

Si

Ian7633
07-02-2017, 18:29
Hey Thanks for the warm welcome all! Its much appreciated.

Rob thanks for the detailed advice, its very welcome (plus i never tire of a bit of culture so thanks for the link!).

Although i love the LP12 i guess there's a part of me that always wished I owned the Technics decks as its such an iconic part of club/ dj culture. But when i got into HiFi no one seemed to take that deck seriously other than DJ's and 'non hifi' people.

So when i found out many years later that you can mod and get stunning performance to rival other decks it whetted my appetite, plus i like the idea of minimal maintenance once the deck is set up and rock solid reliability for not too much cash it starts to appeal.
Plus the money i have invested in my current system could be used elsewhere right now.

So i guess the aim would be to get a decent stock 1210 deck and a good cheapish MC cart and take it from there.

Ian , i would love to take you up on your offer since i am only down the road in Brighton. I have had those Harbeths on my list for some time. I love the BBC type designs for what they do musically. and if they do anything like the Stirlings Nait combo for musicality, timing and naturalness but with a wider tonal range then that sounds right up my street. Let me know when would suit you and if you wanted to dem anything i've got then just let me know.

Thanks all again

Si

Hi Simon,

Any afternoon/evening is fine, I'm at home most of the time, just let me know when you have some time. I'll PM you my details then.

Regards, Ian

karma67
07-02-2017, 19:09
hi simon,im in brighton myself,i use a vintage japanese direct drive with ditton 66 speakers,if you'd like a listen on your way to ians place give me a shout :)

SiT4
08-02-2017, 11:57
Thanks Ian. Will be in touch once i get your PM.
Also Jamie. PM me with your details.

Cheers

Si

Ian7633
08-02-2017, 23:13
PM'd you