PDA

View Full Version : Flat records...

farflungstar
04-02-2017, 20:04
Am I alone (and anal) in checking every album I play with a bubble level where the stylus passes?

Although the SP10, arm and cart are level (azimuth corrected) most albums are not flat as they pass under the stylus, usually running up a few degrees to outer or inner depending on pressing. To correct this I use a small circular felt spacer that fits around the spindle and different arm pucks of differing weights to level things out. This works in 99% of cases.

Weirdly older, thinner vinyl is the least variable, warped occasionally but typically perfectly flat.

In perpetual pursuit.

struth
04-02-2017, 20:06
I sure don't lol

Barry
04-02-2017, 20:31
Neither do I! :scratch:

farflungstar
04-02-2017, 20:37
It's just part of my routine... Ok I'm anal.. rolleyes..

In perpetual pursuit.

RobbieGong
04-02-2017, 20:45
My analness (for want of a better 'word' ) is not as extreme but yes, I do obsess about my records being flat. I can't abide warps and the flatter a record spins the happier I feel - sad but true :) :mental: :)

Barry
04-02-2017, 21:11
My analness (for want of a better 'word' ) is not as extreme but yes, I do obsess about my records being flat. I can't abide warps and the flatter a record spins the happier I feel - sad but true :) :mental: :)

That's probably true about all of us vinyl spinners. But I don't check each LP with a spirit level!

walpurgis
04-02-2017, 21:13
A degree or so out of level, really won't make much difference.

RobbieGong
04-02-2017, 21:19
That's probably true about all of us vinyl spinners. But I don't check each LP with a spirit level!

Absolutely not :D

Barry
04-02-2017, 21:24
It's very important for any warp to be gentle rather than abrupt. An abrupt warp will cause 'scrub flutter' by the stylus, a phenomenon exacerbated by short arm stubs as used on tangential tracking arm designs.

A gentle warp of 1-2 mm, measured at the record's rim, is unlikely to cause any problem.

struth
04-02-2017, 21:28
Biggest problem with many new records seems to be slight dishing

farflungstar
04-02-2017, 21:32
Ok I'm obsessive. I just think that if I've spent time adjusting azimuth so the stylus drops in perpendicular to the groove walls, those groove walls ought to also be perpendicular to the stylus. But ok, I confess to being anal.. the shame.
Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

RobbieGong
04-02-2017, 21:32
I have a 1st press of a fairly rare album. It's in great condition but has an action that causes the stylus to show a weird sharp jerk in and out, like it's being yank quickly which freaks me out when I look :eek: - something to do with the pressing.

struth
04-02-2017, 21:37
I have a 1st press of a fairly rare album. It's in great condition but has an action that causes the stylus to show a weird sharp jerk in and out, like it's being yank quickly which freaks me out when I look :eek: - something to do with the pressing.

any noise when it happens

farflungstar
04-02-2017, 21:37
Biggest problem with many new records seems to be slight dishing
That's the problem. That dishing means one side is convex whilst the other is concave - resulting in an offset angle (not sure that's the correct terminology) of the groove walls...

In perpetual pursuit.

struth
04-02-2017, 21:40
groove wise its pretty minimal tbh I would imagine, but it doesnt looks so great when handling. a record weight on the deck helps with it

Barry
04-02-2017, 21:41
Record warps of the hill-and-dale type will not alter the relation between the groove walls and the stylus. The only type of warping which would affect the perpendicularity of the groove walls to the stylus would be severe dishing of the record. A 2mm dishing of the record at the record rim will cause a azimuth deviation of no more than 0.75 degree. Is this what you measure with your bubble level?

Clearly any badly dished record ought to be avoided.

farflungstar
04-02-2017, 21:47
'Dishing' is what I'm measuring and trying to correct. This is usually easy with pucks etc - but sometimes there's also warping which isn't obvious but is visible with a bubble.

With dishing the bubble either moves towards or away from the spindle from perfect centre (north/south). With warping it moves east/west. This is impossible to fix without a vacuum platter. As I can't fix it I only adjust for the 'dishing' effect.

I think I need a life.
Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

RobbieGong
04-02-2017, 21:48
any noise when it happens

Fortunately not Geoff. It doesnt cause anything audible I just hate seeing it and I guess deep down I feel like it cant be ideal for my stylus all said and done

farflungstar
04-02-2017, 21:50
Have you checked it under light with a loupe?

In perpetual pursuit.

RobbieGong
04-02-2017, 21:54
'Dishing' is what I'm measuring and trying to correct. This is usually easy with pucks etc - but sometimes there's also warping which isn't obvious but is visible with a bubble.

With dishing the bubble either moves towards or away from the spindle from perfect centre (north/south). With warping it moves east/west. This is impossible to fix without a vacuum platter. As I can't fix it I only adjust for the 'dishing' effect.

I think I need a life.
Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

Try to play the records that are flat and relatively flat in your collection. Anything thats clearly dished, big curve uopward edges, dont play !

Then, once you've set up your tonearm, vta, azimuth, sra etc etc, you need to disassociate the bubble from yourself, your hifi, your music room......... - you'll find things will get better :D

farflungstar
04-02-2017, 21:58
I can't stop laughing... That is fantastic advice - forget the fucking bubble!
Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

RobbieGong
04-02-2017, 22:00
Have you checked it under light with a loupe?

In perpetual pursuit.

Loupe ? had to check what that is :) and nope! really havnt felt the need ;)

RobbieGong
04-02-2017, 22:01
I can't stop laughing... That is fantastic advice - forget the fucking bubble!
Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

Bingo !! :lol:

Barry
04-02-2017, 22:06

I think I need a life.
Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

How can you 'adjust' for dishing? Any error in azimuth will vary with radius.

farflungstar
04-02-2017, 22:24
Record pucks can flatten slight convex dishing but not the reverse, concave, there are some edge clamps but I've never tried them.

The tunuto mat I use is actually 1° concaved - this along with pucks, a central 0.2mm felt spacer means that I can level and maintain good platter contact with all discs that are slightly dished, both convex and concave. Obviously if you could drink soup from it, no. rolleyes.

In perpetual pursuit.

struth
04-02-2017, 22:35
If its clean then just stick it on and play it. if its bad enough you will hear it; if not why worry. Lifes too short :)

Barry
04-02-2017, 22:36
If its clean then just stick it on and play it. if its bad enough you will hear it; if not why worry. Lifes too short :)

+1

Idlewithnodrive
04-02-2017, 23:54
To answer the OP - Yes, you are anal :)

farflungstar
05-02-2017, 00:22
Chuckle.

In perpetual pursuit.