PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who v The Daleks. The Lost Tapes

REM
27-12-2009, 13:22
Fascinating documentary on R4 last night, repeated tomorrow (Monday) at 3pm or available now on the iPlayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pj0y2). Classic stuff.:)

DSJR
27-12-2009, 13:35
Check out the Dalek Empire audio series from Big finish too ;)

P.S. We owe it to the well-off fans in the 60's who had tape recorders and who recorded these episodes. With modern computerised mastering and a dedicated team led by Mark Ayres who have carefully restored each one. Every episode now exists, at least in audio form.

A tragedy that the broadcasters didn't realise the legacy of recorded video they destroyed in the 1970's. I can understand the expensive video masters being re-used, as more modern audio multi-tracks were, but to burn or skip the telecine film recordings and *negatives* was a crime in my view. Even the late Bob Monkhouse didn't start bulk recording until the early seventies but even his vast archive has some once lost treasures, but sadly, no Dr Who..

Spectral Morn
27-12-2009, 19:17
Its very sad, that The Daleks Master Plan, parts of the Chase, Evil of the Daleks, Power of the Daleks and many Cybermen stories are gone. Much of Patrick Troughton's stories are gone too and a fair number from the first Doctor.

You can read them in the Star books series and hear them in audio form, though not all, at least not yet.

This is imho the golden era of the Doctor which ended with Tom Baker much of what followed is very poor imho. The modern Doctor is mostly style over substance....I have often wondered what it would be like if they re-made the lost stories today, using what ever Doctor happened to be on the go at the time. Imho many of those lost stories would be vastly superior to what we have had to suffer the last few years....from Russel T (I have an agenda ) Davis.

Regards D S D L

John
27-12-2009, 19:29
I am looking forward to seeing what the new writers do

Spectral Morn
27-12-2009, 19:58
I am looking forward to seeing what the new writers do

Indeed it can and should get better...I hope.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
27-12-2009, 20:42
But we're stuck with the breathless pace and over-saturated colours now I fear.

The Dalek coming up in the new series next year is grey I think instead of the dayglo gold we've had.

BRING BACK SEC is what I say ;)

P.S. Daleks Masterplan terrified the poo out of me when I first watched it in '65. I was eight then and I still get that shiver when I watch the three surviving episodes..

"...One Dalek is capable of exterminating ALL!!!!!"

Marco
27-12-2009, 22:03
Fascinating documentary on R4 last night, repeated tomorrow (Monday) at 3pm or available now on the iPlayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pj0y2). Classic stuff.:)

Cheers for the heads-up, Ralph! I'll make sure I listen to that tomorrow :)

I've been listening to quite a lot of Radio 4 recently, as I enjoy some of the afternoon plays, and the sound is quite excellent through my cheap as chips classic Sony tuner and rather large multi-element rooftop aerial!

Did anyone catch the recent serious of creepy Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected on Radio 4? A series of five of them were broadcast recently.

Marco.

REM
28-12-2009, 09:08
Did anyone catch the recent serious of creepy Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected on Radio 4? A series of five of them were broadcast recently.

Marco.

Was that the series narrated by Charles Dance? Heard a couple of them in the car while picking her ladyship up from work, creepy indeed, the inevitable R4 repeats are eagerly awaited!

BTW, Marco, how come you haven't told us about your new portable system?

Marco
28-12-2009, 10:23
Hahahaha.... I *WANT* that t-shirt! :eyebrows:

Yes it was the ones narrated by Charles Dance - what a wonderfully macabre voice that boy has! :eek:

Jeez, your missus works quite late, doesn't she? :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
28-12-2009, 10:31
Cheers for the heads-up, Ralph! I'll make sure I listen to that tomorrow :)

I've been listening to quite a lot of Radio 4 recently, as I enjoy some of the afternoon plays, and the sound is quite excellent through my cheap as chips classic Sony tuner and rather large multi-element rooftop aerial!

Marco.

I heard the one about the guy with the famous artist who tattooed his back................eeeee:eek:

Missed the others though.

Regards D S D L

Marco
28-12-2009, 11:01
That was my favourite one, Neil! :)

The plays in the afternoon can also sometimes be quite spooky...

I must admit I absolutely love all that sort of spine-tingling stuff, which in a way relates to the thread topic, as I miss the spooky/macabre atmosphere of the old Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker Dr Who series, particularly when the background sound effects were provided by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop (jeez they could produce some scary shit...), which is sadly missing in the modern Dr Who series...

I liked Dr Who when the storylines were dark and foreboding, particularly when they were set on alien planets or inside spaceships, which seemed to be mostly the case in the 70s when I watched Dr Who. Nowadays, it's all special effects to the detriment of the really creepy stuff that got inside your head and freaked the shit out of you that they somehow managed to create with old string vests, sticky-backed plastic, bubble wrap and suchlike :eyebrows:

I mean, for example, what's scarier than a window mannequin that comes to life with a gun hidden in its hand, or monsters that hide in the sea? There's little similar imagination in the storylines these days.

Frankly, I've got no time for juvenile comedy or a love interest, which have been factored into episodes recently. That's all bullshit, as far as I'm concerned!

Marco.

DSJR
28-12-2009, 13:38
Marco, I agree. Try to hear the Dalek's Masterplan audio, the background "music" adds significantly to the atmosphere IMO. The Big Finish "Dalek Empire III" series does the same thing to great effect over the two previous ones (I've put a Mark Grant HD cable before buying the fourth series :))

Marco
28-12-2009, 13:50
Will do, Dave. 'Atmosphere' is precisely what the new Dr Who series lacks compared to its heyday in the 70s. It was the same with Star Trek, too - who gives a toss for the guff that followed Mr Spock, Captain Kirk, et all? Certainly not me...

Nice one on the Mark Grant - you've definitely got your priorities right! :cool:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
28-12-2009, 16:28
Thanks go to Ralph for alerting us to this. Just listened to it, very interesting indeed. Just what I need to cheer myself up. Been mostly in bed last couple of days.....very bad cold.

Took the opportunity to start watching Babylon 5 again. If you haven't seen this epic series then boy have you missed one of the best sci-fi/fantasy series in the last 15 years. Now available for £13 a season (5 seasons) from HMV when I bought the DVDs they were £45 a season :eek:. Also showing on Sky FX channel at the present time, they are just into season 2.

Think Lord of the Rings in space and you are part way there. The stories, acting and overall concepts are excellent imho. This is epic sci-fi in scope and depth.

Regards D S D L