PDA

View Full Version : hearing!

anthonyTD
28-04-2008, 10:50
how is your hearing???
i find mine varies from day to day,
i know air presure can play a big part, but is there something to be said for the type of mood we are in, and our state of mind, ie, stressed, relaxed,etc...your comments on this one!!!:)
anthony...;)

Marco
28-04-2008, 10:53
A good syringing of wax can be the best hi-fi upgrade you'll ever make.

'Source' first and all that!

And with that thought I'm off to have my lunch... :lol:

Marco.

Filterlab
28-04-2008, 12:18
Not too bad, it's pretty stable and my high frequency response is very high indeed (tested last year to 18Khz which I'm told is outstanding!) so I'm always aware of minute changes to the hi-fi.

I have to add that getting one's ears syringed is not recommended unless medically necessary.

anthonyTD
28-04-2008, 12:30
Not too bad, it's pretty stable and my high frequency response is very high indeed (tested last year to 18Khz which I'm told is outstanding!) so I'm always aware of minute changes to the hi-fi.

I have to add that getting one's ears syringed is not recommended unless medically necessary.

18k is exceptional, thats akin to children, and some adult females!!!
by the way, how old are ou rob ?
dont answer that if you find it personal;)

Filterlab
28-04-2008, 12:37
32. I've always had good hearing though. :)

Marco
28-04-2008, 13:31

Indeed, but I'm sure in some people's case you could shove a chamois in one end and then out the other, repeating the same process back and forth, for a superb shine! :lolsign:

Only jesting - don't try this at home kids ;)

More seriously, I've never tested my hearing. How does one do this? I reckon it should be pretty decent though as I often hear things (say someone walking up the driveway and approaching the house - we have a long driveway - when all the windows are doors are shut, or the cat meowing wanting in at the other end of the house when the TV's on quite loud, etc) when other people don't. I also have no problem detecting differences with hi-fi equipment and cables!

I think one of my best senses is my sight. I have extremely good eyesight and can read things like car number plates and bus destination details from a long way off, or very small print in books, or whatever, under extremely low light conditions.

Marco.

Ali Tait
28-04-2008, 17:04
I've never had mine tested,but I'd be interested in doing so.I seem to be able to hear quite high frequencies,things like tv's in standby.In fact I can often tell if someone is at home when I'm going to visit,as I can hear their tv on standby when I'm walking up the drive.I remember a neighbour where I used to live buying a supposedly ultrasonic device for keeping vermin away.Fortunately,being on good terms with him,he agreed to get rid of it when I begged him to do so as it was driving me up the wall! I could hear that about a quarter of a mile away.(no-one else I knew could hear it at all)
I've wondered that it's maybe because many here can probably relate similar experiences,that it's the reason we got into hi-fi in the first place.Perhaps our hearing is just more discriminating than majority of the population.It would explain why most people don't seem to care about high-fidelity reproduction.

Filterlab
28-04-2008, 17:13
Hearing is tested by a Doctor upon request, just some simple indication tests, nothing probative. My sight is also superb I have to say, sometimes I even surprise myself with what I can see from a large distance.

However, there's always a negative, my sense of smell is pathetic and my sense of taste very limited, probably why I don't give a toss about food.

Mike
28-04-2008, 18:28
You are all quite clearly bats!..... or hawks!..... or both!

I'll be sending round a 'preditor'..... Just as soon as I figure out what eats bats and hawks! :scratch:

Mike
28-04-2008, 18:30
my sense of taste very limited

Hence your taste in Hi-Fi!! :lolsign: :ner:

Filterlab
28-04-2008, 18:54
Hence your taste in Hi-Fi!! :lolsign: :ner:

Not THAT type of taste you arse! :lol:

Mr. C
29-04-2008, 07:35
Good thread this one.
As a matter of coarse I have my own hearing checked every 3-4 months, while a bit older than Rob I regularly attain close to his results, despite being in a band, but then I always wore ear-plugs lol!

anthonyTD
29-04-2008, 08:32
I've never had mine tested,but I'd be interested in doing so.I seem to be able to hear quite high frequencies,things like tv's in standby.In fact I can often tell if someone is at home when I'm going to visit,as I can hear their tv on standby when I'm walking up the drive.I remember a neighbour where I used to live buying a supposedly ultrasonic device for keeping vermin away.Fortunately,being on good terms with him,he agreed to get rid of it when I begged him to do so as it was driving me up the wall! I could hear that about a quarter of a mile away.(no-one else I knew could hear it at all)
I've wondered that it's maybe because many here can probably relate similar experiences,that it's the reason we got into hi-fi in the first place.Perhaps our hearing is just more discriminating than majority of the population.It would explain why most people don't seem to care about high-fidelity reproduction.
hi ali,
i have a similar problem, well i say problem its not anymore, i will explain, my dad untill recently used an old philips television,[1980's] and although the picture was still very good, i could hear the line timebase, and it would change frequency when the picture changed, ie, got brighter, dimmer, busier, etc, it used to drive me mad too, i got him a modern one now, but he still uses the old one in his bedroom!:)
anthony...

Filterlab
29-04-2008, 09:08
...but then I always wore ear-plugs lol!

Now that's a good idea, a lot of preserving one's sense of hearing is looking after one's ears.

anthonyTD
29-04-2008, 12:23
Now that's a good idea, a lot of preserving one's sense of hearing is looking after one's ears.
i agree with that,
due to my line of work, i meet musicians on a regular basis, and the stories some of them tell!!!
i nearly lost my hearing when i was a teenager, doing something to this day beggers beleif, i will explain. when i was about 17, i remember someone giving me a belt of 303 blanks they had found on the rifle range somewhere, i put them in a cupoard at my parents house. one day i came home, and why i dont know to this day, i took one of the rounds off the belt, and [you know whats coming next] i put it in the ground tip downwards, and hit the firing pin with a hammer!:doh::mental:
i didnt hear the bang, in fact, i couldnt hear anything! my mother was screaming at me, i could tell by the expresion on her face, but nothing, except a buzzing noise! i also remember feeling something wet on the back of my leg, and after visiting the toilet and taking a closer look i found i had a hole about half an inch in diameter in the back of my leg! obviously the round not being in a barrel had broken in two, and one half had embedded itself in my leg! anyway, needless to say, after a few minuites my hearing started to come back, and my leg eventually healed completely. i consider myself very lucky...after that, i gave the belt to a friends dad who at the time was a gun collector!:);)

Filterlab
29-04-2008, 12:26
Yeesh, scary stuff mate! Could have cost you a lot more than you leg wound too. :(

anthonyTD
29-04-2008, 12:33
Yeesh, scary stuff mate! Could have cost you a lot more than you leg wound too. :(
i agree mate,
it still makes me cringe when i think about it, but hey,, kids do the strangest things!!!:confused:;)

alb
29-04-2008, 12:44
Using one of those test CDs with different frequencies recorded in steps, i can tell that my hearing tails off somewhere between 15kHz and 16kHz.
Probably about right for a 50 year old.

anthonyTD
29-04-2008, 12:45
Using one of those test CDs with different frequencies recorded in steps, i can tell that my hearing tails off somewhere between 15kHz and 16kHz.
still very very good!;)

Filterlab
29-04-2008, 15:10

Agree with Anthony, that's very good for someone of your age.