PDA

View Full Version : Need help to decide which is which

derekkawaii
30-01-2017, 13:54
Hello, i really need your help to decide what mixer should i used, I'm planning to buy a mixer (first time to use one) however i dunno what would best for me, I'm going to do live performance this time.

i'll be using the mixer for podcast, mainly for vocals

What we have here are the following:

behringer
alesis
mackie profx series
mackie vlz4 series
allen and heath
alto

Sorry for the question, I'm just starting out.

Rothchild
30-01-2017, 23:08
Purely on brand, from what you've listed, Allen and Heath.

But without knowing your budget and requirements it doesn't help much.

rigger67
31-01-2017, 09:01
I agree with Rothchild - Allen and Heath have always been reliable and rock solid.
They've got that battleship feel to them and I've used a lot of mixers across various venues as a DJ over 25 years ..

Arkless Electronics
31-01-2017, 13:47
Beware. The cheaper A&H gear is now made in China and not much better than the likes of Behringer.

Rothchild
31-01-2017, 20:07
Everything is made in China these days.

OP, any further info so we can help you more?

nthall
01-02-2017, 03:13
If you are only planning on using it for a podcast I'd just get a behringer. They're cheap and the warranty isn't bad. They do have quality control issues, but if you get a bad one you'll know right away and can return it. Once it's compressed into an mp3 you won't hear the difference.

Do you already have an audio interface, or are you planning on buying a mixer with one built in? If you are planning on buying one with a built in USB interface I take back my advice.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

derekkawaii
01-02-2017, 15:50
Sorry for late response, mainly I will be using it for podcasting.

@Rothchild actually you were right.

@nthall yes i have a AI Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

The reason why i want to buy a mixer i want to do live recording so that i can do adjustment real time. For me as a starter i don't want to spend much i just want to have a piece of equipment to practice with but i want something that will provide good quality of sound. The one that i listed those are the brand that was offered here now a days and i check A&H mostly it was made in China only one shop that was offering made in US same with Mackie. Behringer we have here one from Germany and the China ones.

I'm very open for suggestion.

Thank you for reply back on my post.

Arkless Electronics
01-02-2017, 16:16
Everything is made in China these days.

OP, any further info so we can help you more?

Wrong. Not everything. In the case of mixing desks the expensive A&H ones are made in UK. Not crap like the zero series....

For podcasting anything will do...

nthall
01-02-2017, 16:31
Sorry for late response, mainly I will be using it for podcasting.

@Rothchild actually you were right.

@nthall yes i have a AI Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

The reason why i want to buy a mixer i want to do live recording so that i can do adjustment real time. For me as a starter i don't want to spend much i just want to have a piece of equipment to practice with but i want something that will provide good quality of sound. The one that i listed those are the brand that was offered here now a days and i check A&H mostly it was made in China only one shop that was offering made in US same with Mackie. Behringer we have here one from Germany and the China ones.

I'm very open for suggestion.

Thank you for reply back on my post.
Any of them will work for podcasting with your interface. The Behringers are the cheapest around here. I've used them and they work fine. A cheap compressor can save you a lot of editing after the fact too.

derekkawaii
01-02-2017, 17:35
@nthall thanks for the insight

Any suggestion what kind of compressor to use? I'm not really aware of that but what i know is the dbx thing

nthall
01-02-2017, 17:47
@nthall thanks for the insight

Any suggestion what kind of compressor to use? I'm not really aware of that.
It depends on how many channels you plan on recording at once. Behringer makes some affordable compressors too. They're good for balancing the volume of your voice, and eliminating clipping if someone gets loud, or you have mic pop.

It's not necessary, any recording software can perform the same act after the fact. If you are recording less channels than your interface has inputs you can send them out of the board as separate tracks, and mix them down into stereo after processing them individually.

derekkawaii
01-02-2017, 18:31
got it, thanks again.