PDA

View Full Version : Miyajima ETR-KSW Step Up Transformer

Ammonite Audio
30-01-2017, 11:59
We will shortly be receiving our demo Miyajima ETR-KSW step up transformer (SUT). This has been designed by Miyajima to be most suitable for use with their stereo cartridges, and feedback from the UK distributor Timestep has been most encouraging. Dave at Timestep says that the ETR-KSW is the first SUT that he’s heard that does really deep bass, properly. The ETR-KSW is impressively engineered, having notably large transformers encased within multiple levels of screening, so it promises to be as quiet as a tomb, without the usual SUT hassles of finding a hum-free position.

UK retail price for the ETR-KSW is £2346 including VAT and UK delivery. The ETR-KSW will be available for on our home demonstration scheme (https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/miyajima-cartridge-home-loan-scheme/), along with Miyajima Takumi, Shilabe and Zero Mono cartridges.

http://www.miyajima-lab.com/img/ETR-800/transksw.jpg
http://www.miyajima-lab.com/img/ETR-800/etr800p2.jpg

Ammonite Audio
31-01-2017, 14:56
And it's here.

This is the first step up transformer that I've used which is totally hum free, and not requiring any additional earth connections, nor careful placement near other equipment. Bearing in mind that it's new, and the Shilabe feeding it is also new with only around 5 hours on it so far, the sound is really rather lovely. Listening to Lou Reed's Transformer LP, there is thunderous bass but amazing clarity of fine details - I can really hear subtle rim shots and fingers gently stroking guitar strings. The Audio Note SUT that I've had for years does not compare in this respect - switching back it sounds perhaps more 'explicit' but definitely does not share the Miyajima's lucid clarity and filigree presentation of fine details.

I had hoped that the Miyajima ETR-KSW would turn out to be special, and so it is. Interestingly, its nominal gain is higher than the Audio Note SUT's, but that does not come through with actual listening levels. Whatever electrical subtleties may exist regarding SUT gain and loading, it is clear that Mr Miyajima applies the same art to his SUT design as he does with his remarkable cartridges.

It's all rather lovely!

anubisgrau
31-01-2017, 20:48
any info on technical parameters (input impedance, step up ratio)?

Ammonite Audio
31-01-2017, 21:53
any info on technical parameters (input impedance, step up ratio)?

Input is stated as 16 0hms, with 28.5dB step up ratio (see http://www.miyajima-lab.com/etr-ksw.html ). Dave Cawley at Timestep, the UK Distributor, has confirmed the step up ratio on the test bench; also that it does indeed have the claimed wide 10hz - 20khz frequency range, without any sign of ringing. I understand that it does not employ any loading resistors, either on primary or secondary windings - clearly it doesn't need them.

The ETR-KSW has been designed for Miyajima cartridges and clearly works superbly in that respect. That it loads the cartridge at something in the region of 60 ohms shows that Mr Miyajima believes that SUT loading is a different thing to purely resistive loading in an active MC head amp, for which he recommends 250 ohms. All I can say is that my ears tell me that Mr Miyajima knows what's best for his cartridges, but out of curiosity I tried my NOS Ortofon Kontrapunkt B with the ETR-KSW and it did sound better than I've ever heard it, if lacking the sweet, low distortion character of the Shilabe.

I am quite bowled over by this Miyajima SUT.

Mike Adams
31-01-2017, 22:31
I have the same KSW SUT unit and very much like it with their Zero cartridge too.

I feel that (depending on the cartridge) often the nature and design of the SUT has almost as much effect on the sound as the actual loading.

anubisgrau
31-01-2017, 23:06
Input is stated as 16 0hms, with 28.5dB step up ratio ....

The ETR-KSW has been designed for Miyajima cartridges and clearly works superbly in that respect. That it loads the cartridge at something in the region of 60 ohms shows that Mr Miyajima believes that SUT loading is a different thing to purely resistive loading in an active MC head amp, for which he recommends 250 ohms.

Thanks for this precious share (and personally happy this confirms I am not yet deaf - my findings about SUT loading preference for Shilabe too).

Ammonite Audio
01-02-2017, 07:30
Thanks for this precious share (and personally happy this confirms I am not yet deaf - my findings about SUT loading preference for Shilabe too).

Dave Cawley has confirmed that the ETR-KSW loads at 66 ohms and 16 ohms is the recommended cartridge coil impedance, not the impedance of the ETR-KSW primary. The ETR-KSW will match any MC cartridge requiring a 'recommended' loading of between 50R-250R, which I confirmed for myself with the KontrapunktB.

So you are very much not deaf!