PDA

View Full Version : Balanced interconnects

Filterlab
28-04-2008, 10:17
As my DAC/Pre has balanced outputs and the amps on my horizon have balanced inputs I thought I'd run my system fully balanced.

Anyone used balanced versus single ended and how much better (if at all) were the results?

Cheers! :)

Mike
28-04-2008, 12:44
By all accounts it's worth doing. Usual answer along the lines of "try both and see which you prefer" applies I think.

I've used balanced before but on the kit I had it was the only thing fitted, so a comparison was impossible. :scratch:

Cheers,
Mike.

Filterlab
28-04-2008, 12:47
I think I'll get some cheap cables to start with and if they are clearly better than single ended I'll plump for some decent ones. They're damn pricey though, maybe I'll talk to Frank - not the drugs hotline though. :)

Mike
28-04-2008, 14:38
Rob,

How many and what length would you need?

What connectors on the end?..... Most leads have a male at one end and a female at the other. Others can have both ends female, or both ends male.

I may have some still lurking around somewhere. :scratch: Or I could always knock some up. :eyebrows:

Cheers,
Mike.

Filterlab
28-04-2008, 15:17
Rob,

How many and what length would you need?

What connectors on the end?..... Most leads have a male at one end and a female at the other. Others can have both ends female, or both ends male.

I may have some still lurking around somewhere. :scratch: Or I could always knock some up. :eyebrows:

Cheers,
Mike.

Well, I need male to female (2 of), as for length it doesn't matter; if they're short I'll put the DAC/Pre near the amps, if they're long I'll put the amps near the speakers. Anything you've got (or could make) would be very helpful mate, obviously I can furnish you with some beer tokens. ;)

Marco
28-04-2008, 15:23
Hehe... not long now until those black evil beasties will be gracing your rack.

Can you feel the excitement? Have you warned your neighbours? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Filterlab
28-04-2008, 15:36
I can certainly feel the excitement, I've had to start wearing bigger trousers. ;)

My neighbours will not know any difference as I'm careful with my listening levels - for the time being anyway. :)

Mike
28-04-2008, 16:39
Well, I need male to female (2 of), as for length it doesn't matter; if they're short I'll put the DAC/Pre near the amps, if they're long I'll put the amps near the speakers. Anything you've got (or could make) would be very helpful mate, obviously I can furnish you with some beer tokens. ;)

Well... I can pretty much make anything you need! :eyebrows:

Do you want your amps near the speakers?

Cheers,
Mike.

P.S. I'm assuming XLR, 99.999% are, but it could be done with DIN etc...

Filterlab
28-04-2008, 17:10
Well... I can pretty much make anything you need! :eyebrows:

Do you want your amps near the speakers?

Cheers,
Mike.

P.S. I'm assuming XLR, 99.999% are, but it could be done with DIN etc...

Cheers Mike.

Sorry, yes, XLR both ends - I forgot that balanced could be DIN. I'd prefer to have the amps nears the speakers and the DAC/Pre near the source if possible, however whichever is less likely to pick up interference is the method I'd go with.

What would you suggest, long interconnects or long speaker cable? I'm only talking 5 metres for either.

Marco, on the subject I'm assuming that the EA-1s have binding posts and not just banana sockets, would I be correct? The website really is painfully lacking in information. :steam:

Mike
28-04-2008, 18:34
Okeydokey.......

Lemme see whats kicking about.

I'll be be back to yah........

Filterlab
28-04-2008, 18:54
Mike, you are a star/moderating monkey. Thank you sir. :)

jandl100
29-04-2008, 09:29
I'm about to try some balanced (XLR) cables - for a digital connection.

I've just bought (but it hasn't yet arrived) a Micromega T-Drive CD transport (yep, another box for Jerry :)) - it has both RCA and XLR digi outputs and my Audio Synthesis DAX Decade has RCA and XLR inputs - so I'll be able to switch between XLR and RCA cables at the click of a remote control button - that might be interesting!