PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Back

Rare Bird
25-12-2009, 01:39
Was thinking recently about trying to source most my old fav amps i though great back then.I've owned high end but they never had the appeal of the low-mid priced classics..I always prefered the sound of these cheaper units..

First one that sprang to mind was my old MYST 'TMA3' amp, i hear a lot slagging this amp off but i loved mine, the internals were immaculate. You don't see many for sale these days tho..I think the brand name was sold to an Italian origin..

Anyone remember em...

The Grand Wazoo
25-12-2009, 08:38
I was thinking about those the other day, but I was also wondering about the pre/power they did & how I never heard anyone talking about that at all, despite the integrated having many passionate advocates.

Rare Bird
25-12-2009, 14:05
I remember the Pre/Power was a three box unit.

Rare Bird
25-12-2009, 14:09
Another fav of mine the Elite Townshend 600C pre amplifier & matching monoblocks, small cute & sounded wonderful..

DSJR
25-12-2009, 14:21
I know both of those and rather liked the cheeky Townhend amps. they weren't as "pretty" as the Meridian 100 series though and didn't get the rave reviews that the Meridian 105's got.

The Myst amps were better than the CB Naims we compared them to in terms of image depth and overall clarity, but the limitations of the mid eighties Fruitbox and distortion quirks in the design (IIRC), coupled with the blinkered views of the "better" dealers, most having been absorbed into the Linn/Naim brotherhood, saw the premature end of this maker I think...

hifi_dave
29-12-2009, 17:00
You don't see many Myst amps for sale because they never made many. They never really got off the ground and had very few dealers. We tried for a while but it was never popular. A shame.

The Elite 600C was a good and useful pre but Max took so long developing the matching power-amp that a lot of sales were lost. Then the power arrived but at a far higher price than originally proposed and the whole thing fizzled out.

Rare Bird
02-01-2010, 16:52
You don't see many Myst amps for sale because they never made many. They never really got off the ground and had very few dealers. We tried for a while but it was never popular. A shame.

The Elite 600C was a good and useful pre but Max took so long developing the matching power-amp that a lot of sales were lost. Then the power arrived but at a far higher price than originally proposed and the whole thing fizzled out.

I bought my Townshend Pre/Power amps from Moorgate Acoustics used, think i paid about 250.00 for em, bought a Radford 'WSCD1' around the same time..The Myst TMA 3 was an E-bay purchase 80 notes, was silver & blue. Inside layout was so neat...

Rare Bird
02-01-2010, 16:54
Anyone remember the JDI amplifiers around the early '90s, Castle Acoustics used to distribute them at the time?