PDA

View Full Version : How to strip plinth for powder coating

Cycleallday
27-01-2017, 11:28
Has anybody actually stripped a Technics face plate plinth back to base metal for re-finishing - if so what is the best way to tackle it and any tips to be aware of?

I have deck which has some raised paint and I want to tidy it up. I know there is a firm advertising on eBay but they appear to shot blast which can be seen in their photos in close up. This leaves a slightly pitted finish and I'd prefer a nice smooth finish.

I have considered painting as an easy option as I could just rub down the problem areas and then just re-paint. However, I want to do a nice job and plan to remove all the paint and then either get it anodised or more probably powder coated. As long as I can get down to the base metal I can get the face and edges polished prior to coating.

I've seen a youtube of an American doing something similar but to be honest he just makes a mess of it and leaves much of the undercoat intact and then uses paint to hide the mess.

Mel

Wakefield Turntables
27-01-2017, 13:23
Nitromorse!

Audio Al
27-01-2017, 13:27
The powder coating company will offer a abrasive blasting service

walpurgis
27-01-2017, 15:34
Be careful with Nitromors. It will etch its way into aluminium if left on too long.

walpurgis
27-01-2017, 15:41
Grit blasting is not good for aluminium. It is too abrasive and will remove metal and even make holes. Among suitable alternative options are walnut shell blasting and soda blasting.

Cycleallday
27-01-2017, 17:24
The powder coating company will offer a abrasive blasting service
I don't want the coating company to do any prep work as I will not see it prior to coating and I don't want any mess up or re-work issues.

Also I want to do the prep work as I do part time work in a small engineering factory and have access to all the necessary machines to polish the surface but need the paint off first.

My concern from looking on the net is that the deck has at least 2 coats of paint and while the top seems to come away easily with strippers the base coat does not. Hence my question was aimed mainly at somebody who has already tried to remove it so I can learn any lessons from them.

Nitromoors was the obvious choice but I wonder if anybody has actually used it on a Technics and knows how well it works.

Mel

Wakefield Turntables
27-01-2017, 17:37
ok, this is painful, you need to do the following

nitromorse ----> etch primer (several coats) - choose the colour you want (spray it on) ----> Clear laquer spray. JOB DONE!

PS. You might to use a very very fine sand paper to sand down between coats of paint.

hope this helps.

Spectral Morn
27-01-2017, 17:51
Why not buy a coloured plinth cover ? A friend had a chrome one and it was well made, fitted neatly and didn't seem to effect the sound.

Ebay has them listed.

Cycleallday
28-01-2017, 10:38
My preference is to make a good job of the plinth so I can sell on if I turn out not to like the deck. I can also get the anodising or powder coating done free of charge providing I do the prep work so its also my cheapest option.

I am going to try some Nitro stripper this weekend but in the not too distant past our Euro friends banned the main active ingredients and it is now considered to be only a shadow of its former self. I also plan to try some brake fluid. If all else fails I'll get some excercise with wire wool and scotchbright.

Mel