PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new TV? Some things to keep in mind

Jac Hawk
26-01-2017, 21:08
Members on the AoS have many different opinions about who makes the best TV, in the past i've noticed that Panasonic seemed to be a winner, with the likes of Sony and Samsung being rated as well, however ALL this has changed especially if you're in the market for a top end set.

I had a meeting with LG on Tuesday of this week and was told that ALL the screens from Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, JVC are now LG, i.e. LG supply the LED or OLED matrix and the other manufacturers put them into their own enclosures, the only other well known company that was mentioned that doesn't use an LG screen was Philips and they are getting theirs from a Chinese firm who make displays for the low end of the market, in short if you're looking for a new TV and it's from one of the well known brands it's got LG parts inside it.

Worth baring in mind.........

Marco
18-02-2017, 22:33
Interesting stuff, Mike. Not sure that's necessarily good news though, as for me it smacks of 'standardisation' and a likely reduction in overall quality...

However, I think it's much like the case with hi-fi: it's all in the implementation and how stuff is set up, as despite what you say (and I'm sure it's true), the colours and picture quality on, say, a Sony TV are, to my eyes [all else being equal], rather different from those on an LG or Samsung ;)

Marco.

Firebottle
19-02-2017, 06:43
I've always liked the LG picture quality, in fact I am using a 32 inch as the monitor as I type.

Marco I would guess it is only the screen part that is LG manufactured, differences in picture resolution/hues/motion smoothing et al are going to be down to the particular 'video engine' (all the digital processing gubbins) that different TV makers use.

:)

Covenant
19-02-2017, 07:53
Mike,
What is your opinion of the latest type of screen-QLED?

Marco
19-02-2017, 10:47
Marco I would guess it is only the screen part that is LG manufactured, differences in picture resolution/hues/motion smoothing et al are going to be down to the particular 'video engine' (all the digital processing gubbins) that different TV makers use.

Yup, essentially what I thought - and of course all those things play a vital role in the quality of the picture you see :)

I think that's an important point to remember, lest folks think that it makes no difference which TV you buy, 'cos they've all got an LG screen.

Marco.

Manicatel
07-04-2017, 19:45
The new Samsung screens are "QLED" which isn't OLED.
I found last years Samsungs too bright & forceful. This years QLEDs are even brighter. The styling, frame, stand etc are nice.
I reckon the LG's are still the ones to beat, if you have the money.
If not, I'd go for a Sony.

Covenant
08-04-2017, 06:09
The new Samsung screens are "QLED" which isn't OLED.
I found last years Samsungs too bright & forceful. This years QLEDs are even brighter. The styling, frame, stand etc are nice.
I reckon the LG's are still the ones to beat, if you have the money.
If not, I'd go for a Sony.

Isn't that likely to be the way it is set up in the shop? Did you ask to view it in standard picture mode?

Manicatel
08-04-2017, 07:47
Definitely not due to shop set up or use of demo mode/retail mode.
I find Samsungs to focus on brightness & the colours are too forceful. It may initially grab your attention compared to say a Sony sitting next to it, but for me, the LG OLED or the Sony give finer details in darker images & more accurate, natural colours.
Plus I think calling something QLED in the hope that punters would confuse that for OLED ( ahh yes sir, it's 2 letters better!!) is a bit crap.

Marco
06-05-2017, 22:46
I find Samsungs to focus on brightness & the colours are too forceful. It may initially grab your attention compared to say a Sony sitting next to it, but for me, the LG OLED or the Sony give finer details in darker images & more accurate, natural colours.

+1. Give me the much more natural/lifelike colours of a (properly set-up) Sony, any day! :)

It never ceases to amaze me how some like to look at folk with faces like 'red indians', and day-glow coloured grass, and consider that as 'right' :scratch:

Marco.

walpurgis
06-05-2017, 22:56
It never ceases to amaze me how some like to look at folk with faces like 'red indians', and day-glow coloured grass, and consider that as 'right' :scratch:

Marco.

HeHe. Yes. I've seen that so many times. Some folk just have not a clue! :D

danilo
07-05-2017, 17:52
Not so odd actually. Human brain 'adapts' to fresh inputs surprisingly quickly /adeptly.
Even upside images are 'corrected' in a very short time..evidenced through many research efforts
Does leave the unspoken question: is the casual observers' perception the correct one?? it May not be :-)
Visuals /TV ain't the only input that's 'sketchy'.
Clear case in point is what some believe they hear in their Audio systems.
'nuff said :eyebrows:

Dynamics
10-05-2017, 16:43
I've got one of the last Panasonic plasmas, and it does motion and hd so well and colours aren't too in your face. About 5 years old - vt series. It's still out competes with most LCD and led TVs, especially on motion blur. The oleds are the next biggest thing to go mass market.

Gazjam
20-01-2018, 12:49
Sony A1E oled owner here.
OLED is a significant jump in quality ever over even plasma imo.
Never got on with LED due to backlighting issues.

chris@panteg
03-02-2018, 12:44
I've got one of the last Panasonic plasmas, and it does motion and hd so well and colours aren't too in your face. About 5 years old - vt series. It's still out competes with most LCD and led TVs, especially on motion blur. The oleds are the next biggest thing to go mass market.

Same here, I have a G model from 2012, just lovely picture quality, and superb with motion, pc and ps4 games look great on it also.
Won't be any rush to part with it and when I do it will be for an OLED screen far superior to anything else I've seen.

struth
03-02-2018, 13:36
My tvs are all fairly old. 2010/2012 era. Still work well tho

Barry
03-02-2018, 13:50
My tvs are all fairly old. 2010/2012 era. Still work well tho

Not as old as mine: an 18" CRT Mitsubishi, bought in 1982 and still going strong. It's so old it only has a 75Ohm aerial input - no SCART, no HDMI, no remote.

struth
03-02-2018, 13:52
Not as old as mine: an 18" CRT Mitsubishi, bought in 1982 and still going strong. It's so old it only has a 75Ohm aerial input - no SCART, no HDMI, no remote.

you ought to be ashamed ;)

Barry
03-02-2018, 14:04
you ought to be ashamed ;)

Will all the plasma and OLED displays still be working in 35 years time? No issues with motion blur either.

struth
03-02-2018, 14:07
Will all the plasma and OLED displays still be working in 35 years time? No issues with motion blur either.

wont matter...you wont :lol:

The Black Adder
03-02-2018, 15:07

Respect to that, bruv

Marco
03-02-2018, 16:26

Lol - you *really* don't know what you're missing out on, especially if you enjoy movies! Next time you visit me, you'll find out... ;)

Also, so I presume you can't even connect a Freeview box to it, and therefore can only receive the basic five TV channels?

Marco.

Barry
03-02-2018, 23:04
Lol - you *really* don't know what you're missing out on, especially if you enjoy movies! Next time you visit me, you'll find out... ;)

Also, so I presume you can't even connect a Freeview box to it, and therefore can only receive the basic five TV channels?

Marco.

I can use a Freeview box (I have to, since they switched off analogue broadcasts), as I can a DVD player.

But you're right - I have seen natural history programmes on an HD television: the detail was breath taking, you felt you could walk into the picture and touch things. I still have problems with the out of focus motion blur, but I believe thing are getting better in that department.

Happy has 32"(?) flat screen telly (no idea what technology it uses) and the picture is much sharper than with mine. When we decant her belongings into my place we may use it, or we may put it in our house in Cameroon.

The truth of the matter is a new telly is not a high priority for me at the moment. Will probably do something about it next year (after I have viewed yours, and your BluRay player :D).

Marco
03-02-2018, 23:46
Sure, I'll give you a few good reccos :) 32" is tiny, though. You really need a 45" screen minimum, preferably 55", and wall-mount it, to get the proper effect.

If HD impressed you, wait until you see 4K HDR in action!! :eek::wow:

Marco.

Barry
04-02-2018, 00:09
I'm not attracted to very large TVs, especially wall-mounted ones - I think they look ugly when not in use.

Marco
04-02-2018, 07:37
I completely agree, but for me, they look equally as ugly table-mounted, often more so if they're positioned in such a way that you can see their backs or sides, as then they really stick out and draw attention to themselves...

The key to mimimising the ugly effect, as far as possible, for me is to mount the TV on the far wall of your room (ours is in a dark corner too, which helps), so you only have to look at it face on, and when not in use, have it pressed flush against the wall. That way, with the ultra-slim nature of flat-screen TVs, it just looks like a black frame :)

Other advantages of wall-mounting are in terms of space saving and, crucially, if you're not putting the sound through the main speakers in your system, table-mounting the TV will sound horribly tinny (due to the TV's lack of cabinet), and so wall-mounting helps reinforce the bass and gives the sound more substance.

I know where you're coming from, as I used to think the same way, but then realised that to create a convincing 'immersive effect', with movies, the screen has to be a certain size, in proportion to the room. If you're not bothered about that, however, and simply want to watch TV, then cool :cool:

Marco.