PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a snapped cantilever

nuff
22-01-2017, 18:01
I'm just wondering how much it would cost to replace a snapped cantilever on a Denon 103 also who carries out this type of service?

Thanks in advance.

topoxforddoc
22-01-2017, 18:24
Lots of people can fix this

Expert Stylus Co (ESCO)
Northwest Analogue
Goldring
Soundsmith in the USA
Roberto Torlai in Italy
plus a few others

None of them will be able to do this for less than the cost of a new standard 103. But if you want a more exotic cantilever and stylus profile, it might be worth it. Depends on whether you are a fan of the 103 or whether you are hankering for other MC carts such as a ZYX or a SPU.

nuff
22-01-2017, 18:41
Lots of people can fix this

Expert Stylus Co (ESCO)
Northwest Analogue
Goldring
Soundsmith in the USA
Roberto Torlai in Italy
plus a few others

None of them will be able to do this for less than the cost of a new standard 103. But if you want a more exotic cantilever and stylus profile, it might be worth it. Depends on whether you are a fan of the 103 or whether you are hankering for other MC carts such as a ZYX or a SPU.

Thank you for the reply. It's just I was offered the 103 for £10 and I thought it might be a bargain.
I think I will leave it if it's going to cost approximately that much.
Thanks again.

topoxforddoc
22-01-2017, 19:20
Thank you for the reply. It's just I was offered the 103 for £10 and I thought it might be a bargain.
I think I will leave it if it's going to cost approximately that much.
Thanks again.

Some people will say that an upgraded 103 is excellent with a new cantilever and decent stylus instead of the venerable conical tip. £10 for a knackered 103 is cheap. A rebuilt 103 with a modern stylus profile will be as good as most £500-1000 MC carts.

nuff
22-01-2017, 22:24
Some people will say that an upgraded 103 is excellent with a new cantilever and decent stylus instead of the venerable conical tip. £10 for a knackered 103 is cheap. A rebuilt 103 with a modern stylus profile will be as good as most £500-1000 MC carts.

cheers mate. I've decided to buy it and maybe get it fixed when I get some spare funds.

Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated.

StuN
23-01-2017, 00:21
I followed the same path with a 103r and had Soundsmith fit a new alloy cantilever (to keep the 'Denon' voice) and elliptical tip for better tracking - it works on both counts and I consider it money well spent.

nuff
23-01-2017, 22:26
I followed the same path with a 103r and had Soundsmith fit a new alloy cantilever (to keep the 'Denon' voice) and elliptical tip for better tracking - it works on both counts and I consider it money well spent.

What sort of price did they charge if you don't mind me asking.