PDA

View Full Version : Help with turntable servicing/repairs in London and Sarf East?

HackneyRF
22-01-2017, 11:19
Morning all.

Could anyone point me to a good place or person to take a look at my Thorens in the Londonish area? It's developed a channel dropping problem and I lack the requisite skills/knowledge to attempt it myself.

It had been very intermittently dropping out for a short while but seems permanent now. I don't believe it's the amp as when I switch cables around the drop out changes sides. I have checked the connections on the Phono jacks too and they seem to be in good shape. These were new as part of an initial service when I first got the Thorens a couple of years ago. However the cables themselves I think are original. Might be a problem there I guess?

I have been using Audio Gold in Crouch End over the last few years but have lost confidence a little with them recently. I will use them in a case of needs must, however thought I could maybe keep it in (AoS) house!

Any help/assistance pointing me in the right direction greatly appreciated and Tea, Coffee, Cakes, Biscuits, Beer or Wine in addition to payment awaits anyone willing to take a look. Thanks folks.

Regards

Loz

walpurgis
22-01-2017, 11:23
Check the tag clips going to the back of the cartridge. They can come loose and cause the problem you describe. You just need a pair of tweezers and a little care.

Whereabouts in London are you?

Bigman80
22-01-2017, 11:25
Have you got an ohm meter ? If not a simple test with one will locate the issue. Can get one from eBay for a couple of quid.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

HackneyRF
22-01-2017, 13:42
Check the tag clips going to the back of the cartridge. They can come loose and cause the problem you describe. You just need a pair of tweezers and a little care.

Whereabouts in London are you?

Thanks Geoff. Will look at that first. I'm in Walthamstow E17. Have car can travel!

HackneyRF
22-01-2017, 13:46
Have you got an ohm meter ? If not a simple test with one will locate the issue. Can get one from eBay for a couple of quid.

I don't Oliver. Bear with me. Something lke this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-domestic-multimeter-including-battery-bulb-and-fuse-tester-n20ax?cmpid=ppc&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzZHEBRD0ivi9_pDzgYMBEiQAtvxt-DfEPhOwok1YZqmvBsXK6MkGHL-PGw6nNOtyV66Sip0aAiLL8P8HAQ

Bigman80
22-01-2017, 15:22
That's the job. Take your cartridge tags off the cartridge first the connect the ohm meter to the red tag and the red RCA center pin and it'll beep (if it has that function)if there is a connection. This will indicate no break in the signal line. Do the same whit the white tag and RCA. If one doesn't beep then you've found the issue. If they both beep then it's not the tonearm. Simple.

walpurgis
22-01-2017, 15:32
Thanks Geoff. Will look at that first. I'm in Walthamstow E17. Have car can travel!

If you get stuck, there a branch of 'Audio T' in Enfield, not far from you. They are usually helpful people.

HackneyRF
22-01-2017, 16:45
Excellent, thanks fellas. I checked and the clips make good contact at the cartridge. Just been to Halfords and picked up a multimeter for £7.99 so will give the testing a crack this evening. Will give and update later.

HackneyRF
22-01-2017, 19:04
So....I'm back at home. Not sure what setting the meter should be. It has settings of 200, 2000, 20k, 200k and 2000k? This meter doesn't have a beep function so what reading would I be looking for in that case?

Cheers for now.

Loz

HackneyRF
23-01-2017, 10:12
So following on from some reading i managed to test the circuit between the headshell leads and the RCA plugs. All good. So that points to the cartridge being suspect. In terms of testing that, any reason why i can't swap over the left and right headshell leads to the cartridge to see if the drop out switches sides? Or Is it safe to test the cartidge using the multimeter?

Cheers

Loz

Bigman80
23-01-2017, 11:35
So following on from some reading i managed to test the circuit between the headshell leads and the RCA plugs. All good. So that points to the cartridge being suspect. In terms of testing that, any reason why i can't swap over the left and right headshell leads to the cartridge to see if the drop out switches sides? Or Is it safe to test the cartidge using the multimeter?

Cheers

Loz
Hi,

Well at least you know that the headshell to RCA connection is good. It will possibly be either the amp or cartridge.

Oliver.

Bigman80
23-01-2017, 11:35
Have you got a spare cart ?

HackneyRF
23-01-2017, 13:08
Have swapped the RCA plugs over in the amp and the drop out changes sides so I guess that rules out the amp? Did have a budget AT91 but broke the cantilver putting it in a box :doh:, so no unfortunately. I have been thinking of trying another cart so maybe my hand is forced and the time has come!

Bigman80
23-01-2017, 13:20
Have swapped the RCA plugs over in the amp and the drop out changes sides so I guess that rules out the amp? Did have a budget AT91 but broke the cantilver putting it in a box :doh:, so no unfortunately. I have been thinking of trying another cart so maybe my hand is forced and the time has come!
If it swaps over channels on the amp then it looks like you may be in need of a new cartridge.

Anyone local got one you can try ? Just to be sure before you splash out ?

HackneyRF
23-01-2017, 14:56
Sadly not. All of my London based compadres are digital loving folks. Might get a cheap back up AT95 or something similar to see if it is indeed the cartridge. Then maybe something nice will come up on Private Exhibitions. Thanks Oliver.

Loz

JimC
23-01-2017, 15:23
Hi,

I have an (old but OK) AT-91 I would be glad to lend you so at least you could rule out the Cartridge. I don't use it any more and keep it just for such occasions should I need to check anything out.

PM me your address and I'll post it off as soon as I get the chance.

Jim.

rdpx
23-01-2017, 17:30
Like you suggested, switch the tags on your cartridge and see if the problem switches sides

Switch (white with red) and (green with blue)

If the problem switches sides then you know for sure that it is time to buy a new cart.

Simon_Nottingham
23-01-2017, 19:07
This is such a nice forum.

Advice is given without a sneer and people go above and beyond to help out someone they've never met.

I have a lovely warm feeling (though that could be the wine).

See, not everything in the world is shit.

And exciting times for Loz - he get a new toy :eyebrows:

Bigman80
23-01-2017, 19:15

Advice is given without a sneer and people go above and beyond to help out someone they've never met.

Good bunch here Simon. Probably the reason it's such a popular forum !

walpurgis
23-01-2017, 19:22

We aim to please Simon :).

Efforts are made to ensure this is a friendly place. :thumbsup:

Simon_Nottingham
23-01-2017, 21:01
We aim to please Simon :).

Efforts are made to ensure this is a friendly place. :thumbsup:

It's working. Keep up the good work.

HackneyRF
23-01-2017, 21:33
Hi,

I have an (old but OK) AT-91 I would be glad to lend you so at least you could rule out the Cartridge. I don't use it any more and keep it just for such occasions should I need to check anything out.

PM me your address and I'll post it off as soon as I get the chance.

Jim.

Nice one Jim, I may take you up on that. Will PM.

Cheers

Loz

HackneyRF
23-01-2017, 21:34
Like you suggested, switch the tags on your cartridge and see if the problem switches sides

Switch (white with red) and (green with blue)

If the problem switches sides then you know for sure that it is time to buy a new cart.

Will give it a go, ta Robert.

HackneyRF
23-01-2017, 22:00

It is indeed Simon. I said just that when I first joined a year or so ago. I've had heaps of advice and help from various members along the way. And it's all done in a welcoming spirit. There's clearly some big brains on this forum with years of experience but no question is ever too small. Really friendly folks. Dodgy taste in music some of them though! ;)

Cheers

Loz

Bigman80
25-01-2017, 10:31
Any update ?

HackneyRF
25-01-2017, 14:20
Well.....it's frustrating but encouraging too. Day off today so a little time to look further. Switched the tags at the cartridge around left to right. No change! Switched them back again, put a record on and it's back on both channels! It dropped out again briefly but has been behaving and is in glorious stereo for the last three records uninterrupted. So I'm at a bit of a loss at this point in time to accurately pin point where this intermittent fault lies.

Thanks folks

Loz

rdpx
25-01-2017, 14:31
Well.....it's frustrating but encouraging too. Day off today so a little time to look further. Switched the tags at the cartridge around left to right. No change! Switched them back again, put a record on and it's back on both channels! It dropped out again briefly but has been behaving and is in glorious stereo for the last three records uninterrupted. So I'm at a bit of a loss at this point in time to accurately pin point where this intermittent fault lies.

Thanks folks

Loz
Well it seems to me like you have just proven that it isn't the cartridge. Add that to the fact that you you already knew it wasn't the amp, that leaves you with headshell, tone arm, or RCA wires.

The fact that it all seems to be working after you messed about with the headshell tags suggests it might be there? If it comes back, I'd suggest disconnecting them at both ends, cleaning the contacts, and fitting them back.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

HackneyRF
25-01-2017, 19:32
Well it seems to me like you have just proven that it isn't the cartridge. Add that to the fact that you you already knew it wasn't the amp, that leaves you with headshell, tone arm, or RCA wires.

The fact that it all seems to be working after you messed about with the headshell tags suggests it might be there? If it comes back, I'd suggest disconnecting them at both ends, cleaning the contacts, and fitting them back.

Actually glad I didn't take it to the shop just yet, I'm learning Robert, I'm learning! So yes a proper clean is in order. That's next then. Will give an update.

Cheers

Loz

rdpx
29-01-2017, 02:57
Did you sort it?

HackneyRF
30-01-2017, 21:55
Did you sort it?

Thanks for asking Robert. I've been out of town for several days so no opportunity to do anything further. However the problem hasn't returned since I last messed with the headshell clips. Happily listening to a record this evening. No doubt it may well do though. Will still do as you suggested. No time to look this week I'm afraid. Another trip out of town beckons!
Will update soon.

All the best

Loz

rdpx
30-01-2017, 22:11
Thanks for asking Robert. I've been out of town for several days so no opportunity to do anything further. However the problem hasn't returned since I last messed with the headshell clips. Happily listening to a record this evening. No doubt it may well do though. Will still do as you suggested. No time to look this week I'm afraid. Another trip out of town beckons!
Will update soon.

All the best

Loz
If it ain't broke...

HackneyRF
30-01-2017, 22:31
If it ain't broke...

Absolutely mate!

HackneyRF
24-02-2017, 13:24
Just to update this thread. The problem seems to be with the headshell. As i have said its a very intermittant, but when wiggled slightly insitu the sound sometimes drops out one side. Have cleaned all the contacts which seems to have decreased the frequency of it happening significantly, so its largely trouble free just now. Its 40 years old so I guess it's no going to be as reliabe as it once was. I think i may go for one of these Schopper headshell replacements, if it starts to really pay up again.
Very good quality apparently.

https://www.schopper.ch/index.php?page=headshell-tp60

Thanks to all for their input.

Cheers

Loz

Len Co
24-02-2017, 14:37
Hi, As it's intermittent/unpredictable it could be a poor connection somewhere that works itself loose. Are all the cartridge tags fitting snugly so you need a bit of force to move them? If not pinch them up a bit. Are any of the headshell wires barely hanging on? they often get worn down to a single thread at the solder joints. Are any of the tags touching (when you get the problem)? Fiddly, delicate area I'm afraid.