PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody!

russd
18-01-2017, 12:25
Hi all, thanks for having me onboard. I'm a sound enthusiast via music listening (headphones and hifi). Well I do dabble in some experimental electronic music production via Ableton Studio when I can :) I'm into bang for buck components I guess. I've got a bunch of rotating components and systems, mostly bought second hand. Audio Note (UK) AN-J spx speakers, Tannoy Mercury 20's, Snell Type E, Edison 60 valve amp, a little SET from Bulgaria, Onix OA20 w phono stage, NAD 3020, technics 1210's (for DJ'ing house and techno), Luxman PD 284 turntable, Rega Planar 2, Musical Fidelity V-LPSii, and a bunch of other stuff up in the attic :) I'm running an old CD transport thru an Arcam rDac- which I would like to upgrade to the newer one- I've been happy with the sound. I have also an ODAC which does a fine job I think, but I haven't heard many DACS to be fair.
I just picked up Fiio X3ii portable audio player/DAC for travel. I also have Sennheiser HD 650 (for studio), Audio Technica esw9 (fun travel), and I've got on my wish list Oppo PM3 for deep, relaxing quiet times on the sofa. Much harder to find those times these days with 2 young kids running around, but golly, those times have become even more valuable- mostly late at night.
I've found some of these items in charity/ op shops (like the tannoy speakers I got for just a few dollars in mint condition behind the cloth grills) and some I have bought on the second hand market. Some- like the SET, came from the designer, and the Edison 60 from a valve amp technician who knew its original designer.
All that being said, I also enjoy low-fi sound aswell, background radio, grainy pops and crackles, bass thumping festival rigs.
I'm all in with my gear now, any changes and additions will have to be swapped out or sold in from now on..... :)
Oh music, folk, rock, indie, jazz, underground techno, soundtrack, anything the artists have poured themselves into, well recorded stuff with bad voices, great voices with poor mastering, classics, so long as it is not stamped with advertising all over it.
I hope I've done my first post correctly- look forward to being here.

struth
18-01-2017, 12:32
Hi Russell. Welcome to AoS. Nice intro, hope you enjoy the forum

alphaGT
18-01-2017, 12:42
Glad to have another Russell around! Sounds like you bring a lot of knowledge to the forum! Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KeithA0000
18-01-2017, 18:56
Love your gear Russ.
Hope to see some pics soon :-)

Macca
18-01-2017, 19:07
Hi Russ

Great intro. Welcome to the forum.

walpurgis
18-01-2017, 22:55
Hello Russell. Welcome to AOS.

Looks like you're enjoying yourself with your collection of equipment. Very similar to what many here also do, me included.

You could start a blog here, showing what you're using each time you have a change round. :)

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.