PDA

View Full Version : My Setup

Spence
22-12-2009, 17:23
Now fellas please don't mock my very basic setup or my poor camera skills.

The room as you can see is work in progress at the moment and the system is also work in progress, but hey ho we all have to start somewhere..

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/584/dscf0483g.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6176/dscf0484y.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5972/dscf0482h.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1323/dscf0481a.jpg

The front end is new so next on my list is speakers, as these are on loan at the moment, and then amplification..

Rare Bird
22-12-2009, 17:28
Amp looks like John Shearne 'Phase 2' or something, but i don't recognise the CDP!

Spence
22-12-2009, 17:36
Good spot on the amp.

Cd is a Densen B400-XS

Rare Bird
22-12-2009, 17:42
I thought about Densen with the red display but didnt realise they did silver.

Spence
22-12-2009, 17:51
They call it Albino, wanted black really but this came up so went for it.

dantheman91
22-12-2009, 18:11
Hi mate nice set up what make are your speakers:lol:

Spence
22-12-2009, 21:00
Hi mate nice set up what make are your speakers:lol:

Thank you Dan.

They are Neat Mystique's, not mine so i'm on the look out for replacement's as these need to be returned shortly..

DSJR
22-12-2009, 21:09
How much do you want to spend?

Spence
22-12-2009, 21:25
How much do you want to spend?

I don't have a set budget but would think about the £1000.00 mark would be my limit, but saying that would maybe go a little higher for something amazing. I also need to bear in mind that I will also be upgrading the amplification as soon as funds allow.

aquapiranha
22-12-2009, 21:28
Very nice. Like the Isoblue.

Spence
22-12-2009, 21:35
Very nice. Like the Isoblue.

Thanks, Isoblue certainly looks and also sounds very good imho, highly recommended.

Spence
11-12-2011, 13:32
Time for an update,

New turntable, new amp, different speakers.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-aZKtqWf93XQ/TuSlLxrVN0I/AAAAAAAAAA8/TJstbv_jFlI/s640/IMG_0062.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--xBdfHgLeng/TuStZGtp6AI/AAAAAAAAABY/QhqUeCcy7qE/s640/IMG_0071.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GrKnJrEddFI/TuStYmxp7LI/AAAAAAAAABU/bGY-k5E-g_0/s640/IMG_0072.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hY0a1loAvhs/TuSk9s6opVI/AAAAAAAAAAs/gBDMPTjfuEI/s640/IMG_0065.JPG

Macca
11-12-2011, 13:48
What are those speakers, Spence? Look like Ruarks? - and btw I think you are overfeeding that penguin ;)

Spence
11-12-2011, 14:05
What are those speakers, Spence? Look like Ruarks? - and btw I think you are overfeeding that penguin ;)

Talisman II..

Thing is with the penguin, he only comes out to play over xmas so we do tend to spoil..

Macca
11-12-2011, 14:12
:lol:

I love Ruark speakers they do so much right and have a lovely top end. A lot of people have never heard of them IME.

Tim
11-12-2011, 14:20
How are you liking the Brio-R Spence?

Spectral Morn
11-12-2011, 14:29

I love Ruark speakers they do so much right and have a lovely top end. A lot of people have never heard of them IME.

Me too. I have a pair of Ruark Equinox's that are lovely.

Regards D S D L

Spence
11-12-2011, 14:32

To true.

First listened to them about twenty years ago but couldn't afford them then.

Got these second hand and for the money they go for a real bargain.

Spence
11-12-2011, 14:37
How are you liking the Brio-R Spence?

I've only had it week but it really is good, really gets the the old toes tapping and that for me is the key.

I see you've also got one, enjoying it ?

Jonboy
11-12-2011, 14:54
Nice set up Spence i like your equipment stand, Nice clock too

Thing Fish
11-12-2011, 15:04
Nice...:)

keiths
11-12-2011, 15:41

I missed a pair of Ruark Icons which were in my local Age UK charity shop a couple of weeks ago - I was in the queue at the counter when the guy in front of me was paying for them :doh:

He paid the princely sum of £7.99 :stalks:

Tim
11-12-2011, 16:20
I see you've also got one, enjoying it ?
Very much so, it was the last piece of my total upgrade - very musical as you say and quite outstanding for the price, I love the bass it delivers. I'm a happy bunny now and the only thing left that will need attention at some point is the mains, but I'm content for now.

Rare Bird
11-12-2011, 16:38

I used to love my Diesis 'Solitaire' speakers..I had another pair of Diesis aswell i also loved (black velour covered baffles Richard Allan Bass unit) can't remember the model! :scratch:

Spectral Morn
11-12-2011, 17:04
I used to love my Diesis 'Solitaire' speakers..I had another pair of Diesis aswell i also loved (black velour covered baffles Richard Allan Bass unit) can't remember the model! :scratch:

They were beautiful sounding speakers Andre.

Early designs from the guy who set up Ruark, Alan O’Rourke

Regards D S D L

Macca
12-12-2011, 13:33
I missed a pair of Ruark Icons which were in my local Age UK charity shop a couple of weeks ago - I was in the queue at the counter when the guy in front of me was paying for them :doh:

He paid the princely sum of £7.99 :stalks:

That's just it they never fetch what their worth even on eBay. If you stuck a different badge on them (Mission, B&W) they would then sell for over the odds just because people have heard of those brands :scratch:

macvisual
12-12-2011, 20:05
Lovely dark colour those Ruark Talisman II speakers, lovely.

I know nothing about Ruark, are they British made speakers? Is the Talisman II model a current or old model?

Thanks...

Spectral Morn
12-12-2011, 20:11
Lovely dark colour those Ruark Talisman II speakers, lovely.

I know nothing about Ruark, are they British made speakers? Is the Talisman II model a current or old model?

Thanks...

Based in the UK but set up by Irish guys. No those are old speakers Peter. I had a look about Ruark's site and it looks like they don't make speakers any more but distribute CD all in ones :steam::( What a waste as Ruark speakers were brilliant.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
12-12-2011, 23:16
Hi Neil
I don't think they have finished with Speakers.

Spence
13-12-2011, 20:26
Hi Neil

I think you're right there.

There is / was definitely a Talisman III which retailed at about £1500.00..:scratch:

From what i've been told though, not an improvement.

These, second hand, are pretty good value if you ask me. Buy them, try them and if you dont like ship them on for very little loss.

Woodster
14-12-2011, 18:05
Spence, lots of people would be very plesed to own that little lot, so don't sound like you're apologising for having to 'start' somewhere. Nice start! I've got Neat Motive 3's having listened to several small speakers up to about £1300. Well worth a listen before you commit to spending that grand.

Spectral Morn
14-12-2011, 18:16
Hi Neil

I hope that is true Andre.

However there are none listed on their website, just references to the past and a page with Vita CD all in ones, no speakers to be seen anywhere.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
14-12-2011, 18:31
I think you're right there.

There is / was definitely a Talisman III which retailed at about £1500.00..:scratch:

From what i've been told though, not an improvement.

These, second hand, are pretty good value if you ask me. Buy them, try them and if you dont like ship them on for very little loss.

That was about 4 years ago as I used to sell them when I worked in the trade.

They were not much of an improvement on the old ones and a tad lean and forward sounding in comparison and thus a bit harder to match system wise.

The previous to that, Prologue range, now they were fantastic speakers and excellent value for money. I sold loads of those, or more precisely they sold themselves. They suited Cyrus, MF and Roksan amplification and also some more powerful valve amplifiers.

Ruark also made the Vita home cinema speaker package and it was excellent as well.

Sadly Seven Oaks switching from Ruark (pretty much overnight) to Monitor Audio, hurt Ruark badly. I never understood that move as MA does not match MF, Cyrus or Roksan, particularly well (imho/e), stalwart products in Seven Oaks product portfolio at the time until I recently found out about the margin on MA.....now it seems to make sense. In my humble opinion (and of course there could be other reasons) another possible case of profit before sonics (I personally don't like the MA sound)

Regards D S D L