PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Missouri.

nthall
17-01-2017, 20:07
I'm Nathan Hall from Kansas City, Missouri. I'm mostly a rock guy, but I also love classic country. I'll listen to anything I can get my hands on, and the dollar bin is my favorite place to be. I think I've crossed the line from being a vinyl lover into a full blown hoarder. I keep a CD player, and dac around for special occasions.

I've enjoyed repairing, and building electronics my whole life. Most of my early gear was the old stuff my friends parents were replacing. I took it as trade for hooking up the new stuff.

I definitely prefer vintage gear aside from speakers. I like the look, ruggedness, and simplicity of repair. I've owned just about every brand and model aside from the high end boutique stuff at one time or another. I like working on the gear as much as listening, so my rack is constantly changing. I was just looking at a picture of my setup from last week and half of the stuff is gone already. I have never ventured into the land of boutique brands, mostly because I'm cheap. I'd rather tweak the low to midrange stuff, and wring some extra performance out of it. I like tone controls and make my own cables, so I'm not a purist.

Right now my rack consists of:
Micro Seiki DD-35
Mac 1700
Marantz 2238B
Marantz 5420
Marantz 5001 (heavily modded)
Homebrew TD-1541 based DAC
Dual 1019 with a stacker for 45s
Audio Technica LP-120 (also heavily modded). It has ended up with many spare parts from other projects and sounds amazingly​ good. It was a waste of money to upgrade it that much, but why not?
Klipsch towers (I don't remember the model #, but they aren't the ones they sell at Best Buy).

No tubes, standalone pres, or power amps in the system right now, but they come and go.

I have three shelfs full of other gear that's not currently hooked up, and a lot more in a storage unit that I still need to restore.

I'm glad to be here. Feel free to ask away if you want to know more. I like to chat.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

walpurgis
17-01-2017, 21:36
Hello Nathan. Welcome to AOS.

Good intro there. If you have any DIY projects on the go, they'd be nice shown in our Drawing Board section.

Take a look around the site, I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you.

Feel free to join in with the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

anubisgrau
17-01-2017, 22:14
hey nathan, welcome to AOS. KC is one of my fav US towns. i spent a few weeks there several years ago and i discovered america i thought it's lost in vintage films. the most hospitable people you can imagine, great barbeque and some great jazz and rock clubs.

nthall
17-01-2017, 22:22
Hello Nathan. Welcome to AOS.

Good intro there. If you have any DIY projects on the go, they'd be nice shown in our Drawing Board section.

Take a look around the site, I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you.

Feel free to join in with the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.
Thanks! I have several projects at different stages of completion. I try to scavenge, or build as many of the parts as I can, so I'm always waiting to find the next piece of something. I'll post some of them this week.

struth
17-01-2017, 22:23
Hi and welcome Nathan. Nice hoard mate :cool:

nthall
17-01-2017, 22:26
hey nathan, welcome to AOS. KC is one of my fav US towns. i spent a few weeks there several years ago and i discovered america i thought it's lost in vintage films. the most hospitable people you can imagine, great barbeque and some great jazz and rock clubs.
It's a cool town. Most people that move here are always freaked out by the friendliness. It makes them suspicious. The BBQ is the best in my opinion, but I'm biased. I just wish we had a beach.

nthall
17-01-2017, 22:32
Hi and welcome Nathan. Nice hoard mate :cool:
Thanks. It's been better, but people keep offering me way to much for the good stuff. I always rebuild it.

struth
17-01-2017, 22:36
Some town lol... its a big ol place at 300 sq miles.... Jim Bridger country i believe...Mountain man :D

anubisgrau
17-01-2017, 22:42
It's a cool town. Most people that move here are always freaked out by the friendliness. It makes them suspicious. The BBQ is the best in my opinion, but I'm biased. I just wish we had a beach.

A beach would be too much of a good thing. Still you have Ozarks!

nthall
17-01-2017, 22:44
A beach would be too much of a good thing. Still you have Ozarks!
The lakes are fun.

nthall
17-01-2017, 22:49
Some town lol... its a big ol place at 300 sq miles.... Jim Bridger country i believe...Mountain man :D
They used to trade some pelts here. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170117/c3233aaa2579644272efb02c47b689a7.jpg
The Mountain Men are into football now.

struth
17-01-2017, 23:01
lol