PDA

View Full Version : Used CD players fetching crazy prices !

Michael loves music
15-01-2017, 18:36
Has anyone else noticed the high prices used CD players are going for on eBay etc ? I was bidding on a Pioneer Pds 703 stable platter it went for £110 ! A technics pdg 490 went for £40 etc etc the used Philips and Maranz fetching crazy prices too !! Any bargains any more ???

Spectral Morn
15-01-2017, 19:36
Has anyone else noticed the high prices used CD players are going for on eBay etc ? I was bidding on a Pioneer Pds 703 stable platter it went for £110 ! A technics pdg 490 went for £40 etc etc the used Philips and Maranz fetching crazy prices too !! Any bargains any more ???

Things sell for what the market dictates and auctions are always risky, especially if several people want something a lot. Not a true indication of value, just craziness at times.

Many of the classic Marantz's still sell for big money CD12, CD7, SA1 and the Marantz CD94 and 94Mk2 and there are others.

Sadly any of us complaining at the price of admission is a waste of time, you picks your poison and pays the money or you don't.

Michael loves music
15-01-2017, 19:44
I choose to don't Neil £110 for a 23 year old CD player is Madness imho

Bigman80
15-01-2017, 19:49
I paid £300 for a 25 year old Sony cdp555ES. WORTH EVERY PENNY

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

walpurgis
15-01-2017, 20:14

That's not really surprising Michael. It's a popular model. They do seem to have been fetching more recently.

One of the best CD player bargains in the Meridian 206, which can still be picked up for around £200. Worth every penny in sound terms. They seem reliable as there are still plenty of good second hand examples cropping up for sale. I've had a couple, they sound very nice.

Spectral Morn
15-01-2017, 20:26

Try 1500 to 2000 for a early 90s Marantz CD12.

Theadmans
15-01-2017, 20:55
Think I will be keeping my Pioneer PD-S705 Stable Platter CD player, that I bought in mint condition on the bay for £30 several years ago, for a few more years yet !

It provides an excellent backup to my Squeezebox Touch and Raspberry Pi / Wolfson Card. I feed the digital from the Pioneer into a Caiman SEG and it sounds great. You never know when the internet is going to die and the Pioneer reads even scratched up discs fast and efficiently. It is highly popular with the high end valve Lampizator guy.

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/Pioneer_703/pioneer703.html

As a cheaper version my SEG feeds into a heavily modified Musical Fidelity X10D valve buffer stage - have to say via streaming or Pioneer CD Player it all sounds terrific !

RobbieGong
15-01-2017, 21:11
Yep! then you get the other side of it like a pair of Mission 752 Freedoms in the more expensive Pimera Oak went for £97.00 on the 'Bay today, which is nuts imo and ime for such a good speaker.
Giveaway!

karma67
15-01-2017, 21:14
I paid £300 for a 25 year old Sony cdp555ES. WORTH EVERY PENNY

thats cause you an ES whore! lol

agk
16-01-2017, 12:38

That's about the usual price for the overrated Pioneer stable platter decks. The Philips and Marantz are generally a cut above the herd so have a premium.

Bigman80
16-01-2017, 13:43
thats cause you an ES whore! lol
Lmao. I am. [emoji7]

karma67
16-01-2017, 13:43
Me too! It's a shame there so bloody expensive!

Bigman80
16-01-2017, 14:21
Me too! It's a shame there so bloody expensive!
Lol. Yes. But they are worth the money IMO. I haven't been disappointed in any way with the amp or CD player.

plastic penguin
17-01-2017, 08:38
I sold my Electrocompaniet last year, as it was hardly used. In the end, after advertising it well on a famous auction suite, it sold for relative peanuts.

Macca
17-01-2017, 12:36
Thing is people in the hobby know Electrocompaniet but Joe Punter on eBay doesn't. He's heard of Linn and Naim and the big Jap brands but that's it. That fact alone can keep prices down on the more niche brands.

Spectral Morn
17-01-2017, 13:52
I sold my Electrocompaniet last year, as it was hardly used. In the end, after advertising it well on a famous auction suite, it sold for relative peanuts.

Sadly despite being good, there is very little desirability cache with Electrocompaniet kit, especially the CD players. The only collectable Electrocompaniet is the first amp/pre they made. http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/electrocompaniet-'electro'--vintage/10017

Other than that, its a meh situation, solid designs but not that exciting + their business model when they entered the UK market a few years ago wasn't one that put pressure on retailers to promote the brand or be that passionate - Electrocompaniet basically rented the demo stock to the retailers, rather that the retailers buy it. Buying stock puts a whole different emphasis on a brand, rather than something to fill the shelves with.

No idea what the business model is now, but back pre 2008 that was how it was done.

There are plenty of other better brands out there that also fall fowl of a lack of interest, desirability factor, and used market resale values suffer, or they don't sell.

nthall
18-01-2017, 17:57
I think it's funny that you can buy huge lots of CDs for next to nothing, and price wars are breaking out over 90's CD players.

Some of them are worth the price, bit most of them aren't. I saw a "vintage" Technics 100 disc changer listed on Craigslist for $350 a few days ago. I doubt it sold.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Macca
18-01-2017, 18:04
CD s might be cheaper in the States but in the UK prices seem to have stabilised. New releases are still ten quid or more. I speculated a couple of years ago on here that they wouldn't be able to give them away by now. Ah well.

struth
18-01-2017, 18:14
Cd players alas are often fragile and rarely are spare parts for them after a few years. It does make buying second hand a minefield if paying any money. Thats why i use old cheap dvd players. Some of them without hdmi go for peanuts now, and were very well made with quality audio circuits. Think in some ways to growth in streaming will help cd stay as a medium. Its also driven the vinyl explosion i think,

Barry
18-01-2017, 18:16
A Philips CD100 player recently went for £300! I heard this player shortly after CDs appeared on the market. It sounded awful in my opinion, so did the CD101, which was little better. It wasn't until the advent of the CD104, that CDs started to sound listenable.

Barry
18-01-2017, 18:22
Sadly despite being good, there is very little desirability cache with Electrocompaniet kit, especially the CD players. The only collectable Electrocompaniet is the first amp/pre they made. http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/electrocompaniet-'electro'--vintage/10017

That first amp: "The Two Channel Audio Amplifier" was wonderful. It was a fabulous amp with which to drive Quad 57 ESLs. The only difficulty was it had a lower than usual input impedance, so required a pre-amp with an output impedance of no more than 75Ohm; which was rare at the time.

Macca
18-01-2017, 18:29
I don't know. But I had a good long listen to a Sony CD1 and it was very good, as much as I could tell through an unfamiliar system (Halfler pre, huge HK valve power amp and Radford transmission lines)

Barry
18-01-2017, 18:32
I don't know. But I had a good long listen to a Sony CD1 and it was very good, as much as I could tell through an unfamiliar system (Halfler pre, huge HK valve power amp and Radford transmission lines)

I was talking about a Philips CD player, though since Sony and Philips co-developed the CD you would have thought the two machines might sound similar.

Macca
18-01-2017, 18:40
That's what I am saying I suppose. But never heard the Phillips so can't comment.

I guess your system was pretty much the same as now? I suppose the vintage valves and speakers system might have flattered the Sony a bit. They still fetch a high price though. The build is superb.

walpurgis
18-01-2017, 18:50
It's not just CD player prices that are creeping up. I've noticed that MiniDisc units seem to be doing the same.

About time too really in my view. I got the impression that MiniDisc was underappreciated when it hit the market.

I bought a new Pioneer MJ-D707 about twenty years ago and it's a lovely, versatile bit of kit. The sound quality really is vastly better than any cassette deck I've heard.

nthall
18-01-2017, 20:06
CD s might be cheaper in the States but in the UK prices seem to have stabilised. New releases are still ten quid or more. I speculated a couple of years ago on here that they wouldn't be able to give them away by now. Ah well.
I bought two boxes with 800 in each for $35 bucks a piece. They are missing the jewel cases, but I always put them into binders anyway.

I bought a lot of 120 new ones still in the cellophane for $40. I traded most of those in for credit at the record store.

Macca
18-01-2017, 20:22
Yep that is cheap. Agree the jewel cases are kak anyway. Not seen any deals like that here.

agk
18-01-2017, 21:32
I was talking about a Philips CD player, though since Sony and Philips co-developed the CD you would have thought the two machines might sound similar.

Initially the Sony was very like nails down a blackboard as were the early Pioneer efforts.

farflungstar
18-01-2017, 22:06
A long long time ago I went out with a wad of cash with the intention of buying the new fangled Phillips CD player I'd seen on Tomorrows World. I sat and I listened and I quickly bought a Pink Triangle set up. It was an appalling sounding machine though looked very cool. I didn't look at CD Players until many years later when I heard and bought a Roksan ....

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w483/farflungstar/IMG_20170118_230435_795_zps7kstx4ri.jpg

Still regret selling it...

Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

Michael loves music
19-01-2017, 07:40
Philips CD players fetching very good prices on eBay now and not just CD players speakers and amps !! Is it with records making a come back ???

nthall
19-01-2017, 17:09
Philips CD players fetching very good prices on eBay now and not just CD players speakers and amps !! Is it with records making a come back ???
I have no idea. I've been having quite a few people asking for cassette decks lately. Nobody has asked for a CD player. It might be time to start stocking up on VCRs, and Laser Disc players.

Marco
20-01-2017, 00:12

I doubt you'd say that if you heard it (and examined the build quality), Michael ;)

I use a Sony CDP and DAC from the late 80s, both of which cost considerably more than £110, and I certainly wouldn't swap them for anything modern!

Marco.

struth
20-01-2017, 06:42
I doubt you'd say that if you heard it (and examined the build quality), Michael ;)

I use a Sony CDP and DAC from the late 80s, both of which cost considerably more than £110, and I certainly wouldn't swap them for anything modern!

Marco.

Never mind the quality, Feel the width eh? :eyebrows: Before you scratch it was a sitcom, a little b4 your time maybe...John Bluthal and Joe Lynch were tailors f memory serves and it was very popular

Michael loves music
20-01-2017, 10:25
I take back what I said the old ones are the best look at Anne Davies central news and Carol Kirkwood BBC breakfast weather lady with a warm front

agk
20-01-2017, 10:35
I don't think the prices are crazy at all.

These are mostly very good quality decks being sold to people who know that and are happy to pay a fair price.

The market does have some chancers with average decks trying their luck but that's always going to be the case.

Look at what people are asking for and paying for record decks.

agk
20-01-2017, 10:58
As it goes...

...Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192063293506

Reference the original post.

Michael loves music
20-01-2017, 13:07
As it goes...

Yes and click and collect at Argos

Michael loves music
20-01-2017, 13:10
As it goes...

Just read the description not working that's why it's cheaper Andrew

agk
20-01-2017, 13:48
Ooops. Clearly being sold by a con artist. Slips that line into the description to cover himself when the buyer realises they've been had.

agk
20-01-2017, 13:49
Still, even though I don't rate them, £110 is a fair price for a Pioneer stable platter IMO.

Macca
20-01-2017, 13:49
ICarol Kirkwood BBC breakfast weather lady with a warm front

LOL

Michael loves music
20-01-2017, 13:59
Ooops. Clearly being sold by a con artist. Slips that line into the description to cover himself when the buyer realises they've been had.

Yes cheeky devil

2kings
25-02-2017, 08:59
Picked up a Sony CDP557ESD with working remote for <£200.00 a couple of months ago.
Lovely condition and weighs in at 18kgs - built like a battleship!
Now with Trichord to fit the clock 4 and NC PSU.

Macca
25-02-2017, 10:39
Picked up a Sony CDP557ESD with working remote for <£200.00 a couple of months ago.
Lovely condition and weighs in at 18kgs - built like a battleship!
Now with Trichord to fit the clock 4 and NC PSU.

Bit of bargain there. I need to find something like that.

Spectral Morn
25-02-2017, 10:52
There is a Marantz CD12 listed on EBay at the minute BIN £2000 which is sort of what I expect. Do I think that's a fair price, worth it ? :scratch: Probably not, but the market dictates that these go for that sort of money. Seller won't ship, so no boxes and no transit bolts (vital). The main problem with these is laser failure and chip failure. Chips still obtainable, but CDM1 mechanisms are getting harder to find.

If it was cheaper I might give it ago, but my Marantz CD94 mk2 comes pretty close and I am fairly sure my Marantz CD7 is better, but the Marantz CD12 is an itch I would love to scratch but not at that kind of money, especially when the items provenance isn't known.

Macca
25-02-2017, 11:03
Agree difficulty of repair or finding spares should have reduced the price of the old flagship players to reasonable levels by now, but they keep clinging on.

Please everyone, sod off to streaming so I can buy these things for pennies.

Spectral Morn
25-02-2017, 11:21
Agree difficulty of repair or finding spares should have reduced the price of the old flagship players to reasonable levels by now, but they keep clinging on.

Please everyone, sod off to streaming so I can buy these things for pennies.

When CDs are no longer made, maybe then the prices will crash, probably not though.

RobbieGong
25-02-2017, 11:36
There is a Marantz CD12 listed on EBay at the minute BIN £2000 which is sort of what I expect. Do I think that's a fair price, worth it ? :scratch: Probably not, but the market dictates that these go for that sort of money. Seller won't ship, so no boxes and no transit bolts (vital). The main problem with these is laser failure and chip failure. Chips still obtainable, but CDM1 mechanisms are getting harder to find.

If it was cheaper I might give it ago, but my Marantz CD94 mk2 comes pretty close and I am fairly sure my Marantz CD7 is better, but the Marantz CD12 is an itch I would love to scratch but not at that kind of money, especially when the items provenance isn't known.

The CD12 is one heck of a cdp, always referred in the 'best of' category, never heard one though. It was a lot of dosh when it came out and is one of those pieces that will probably always go for big numbers.

Spectral Morn
25-02-2017, 11:37
The CD12 is one heck of a cdp, always referred in the 'best of' category, never heard one though. It was a lot of dosh when it came out and is one of those pieces that will probably always go for big numbers.

It sold for £2500 new. I was in the trade then and the shop I worked in sold two if I recall right and there was a competition give away and someone got one FOC. Back in the late 80s.

Certainly in its day it was very good as was the Sony R1, and a few other two box players but at the time most reviewers felt the CD94mk 2 came very close as did the CD95. Never heard or seen a CD95 or the other derivatives of the CD94 casework - there were a few.