PDA

View Full Version : Free: Sonic Link DM20 integrated amplifier - FAULTY

ahgee2
14-01-2017, 15:03
Free to a good home, my Sonic Link DM20 integrated amplifier.

This has served me well for 25 years, but is now playing up. It started with cutting out/crackling on the left channel, associated with the balance pot. Now it has developed to loud pops/whooshes on the right channel when powering up. I would like to offer this to somebody who knows what they're doing and wishes to restore this lovely amplifier. Apart from identifying and fixing the fault, it could probably do with some new capacitors. But please do not take this and simply insert it into your system, it might damage your speakers or even yourself if you open it up and start poking around.

Ideally I'd like to swap/part exchange this for an entry-level DAC with a Toslink optical input, if whoever takes it happens to have one spare. But I am also happy to let it go free to a good home, the important thing is that somebody makes good use of it. Collection from central Cambridge please given its weight (it has a hefty toroidal transformer).

agk
14-01-2017, 15:07
Nice gesture Andrew and I'm sure someone will be along to snap that amp up.
Your username leads me to wonder if your surname is Gee and if you are related to the H Gee of Mill Road Cambridge?

ahgee2
14-01-2017, 15:15
Your username leads me to wonder if your surname is Gee and if you are related to the H Gee of Mill Road Cambridge?

Yes and no - H Gee's has been a wonderful Cambridge fixture for even longer than I've been here, but no relation!

struth
14-01-2017, 15:22
Decent amps these..20 watts i tnk. Balance control usually goes on them

tankertop
14-01-2017, 16:32
Haven't got anything to trade Andrew but would be happy to relieve you of the DM20. Had the Gold version many years ago and have always missed it.

Audio Al
14-01-2017, 16:36
Nice gesture :)

ahgee2
14-01-2017, 20:52
I think that's the DM20 going to Kulwinder (tankertop) for a bit of TLC - I'll send a PM to arrange collection. Thanks to you all for your welcoming messages ... and if anyone has a surplus, decent'ish, not too expensive DAC they're willing to part with, please let me know, I'm curious to see how much difference it makes compared with the standard audio out from my home theatre PC.