PDA

View Full Version : Music Control App for RPi3 and TIDAL

WESTLOWER
11-01-2017, 15:14
Hi was thinking to use on a Rpi 3 / HIFIBerry Digi + pro (with a nice Linear power supply)
feeding into my (posh) USB/SPDIF converter and on to my (posh) DAC

I want to play music from my NAS drive (synology) and TIDAL High Res Streaming...

Which controller would anyone suggest?

I've looked at Roon Audio, looks nice but not sure with the RPi (and subscription is heavy)

Then looked at Volumio but this isn't clear about Tidal support..

I am not a Techie! at all!

and I would like to use the iPad and an I phone to use remotely..

Any suggestions please??

AlfaGTV
11-01-2017, 15:22
You have already answered your question.
Roon will answer all your prayers! The Tidal integration is the very best and the interface in beautifully executed.
Depending on your NAS's performance, a NUC or smiliar might be needed for running the Core Service though! And the Raspberry Pi's work just fine as endpoints, one or several.
Cheers Mike

WESTLOWER
11-01-2017, 15:33
Thanks Mike
I am terrible with PC computers, so to get it clear I can install Roon directly on the RPi3?
and then just control it from the iPad and iPhone?

Also what is a NUC ? (sorry)

You have already answered your question.
Roon will answer all your prayers! The Tidal integration is the very best and the interface in beautifully executed.
Depending on your NAS's performance, a NUC or smiliar might be needed for running the Core Service though! And the Raspberry Pi's work just fine as endpoints, one or several.
Cheers Mike

lovejoy
11-01-2017, 16:00
I've had Roon for over a year now and I don't think I could use anything else. Yes, the price is a bit of a sting at the outset but when you see just how nice it is to use, and how much heavy development work is going into it, it feels worth every penny.

Getting it up and running on the Pi isn't quite as simple as just writing an SD card and plugging it in but there's a comprehensive guide on getting RoonBridge going here: http://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall and once you've done it, you don't need to think about it again. Any software updates are applied automatically and in use, you just switch on the Pi, let it see your Roon server running on your PC/Mac/NAS and take control of everything with your phone/tablet/PC running the Roon Remote software.

WESTLOWER
11-01-2017, 16:05
Wonderful Richard...
That sounds where I want to be!
So I am starting to understand that now... so The Roon Bridge will be on the Pi, all I have to do now is accertain if the Synology NAS is ok to host the Roon Server?

I've had Roon for over a year now and I don't think I could use anything else. Yes, the price is a bit of a sting at the outset but when you see just how nice it is to use, and how much heavy development work is going into it, it feels worth every penny.

Getting it up and running on the Pi isn't quite as simple as just writing an SD card and plugging it in but there's a comprehensive guide on getting RoonBridge going here: http://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall and once you've done it, you don't need to think about it again. Any software updates are applied automatically and in use, you just switch on the Pi, let it see your Roon server running on your PC/Mac/NAS and take control of everything with your phone/tablet/PC running the Roon Remote software.

Rothchild
11-01-2017, 16:39
Mopidy has a Tidal plugin and a number of neat control apps I particularly like Spotmo/Iris in a web browser and Mopidy Mobile on my Android phone.

Mopidy is an easy install with DietPi and from there you'd just need to add and configure the Tidal plugin.

Roon is expensive and requires quite a substantial computer to run the server, I'd be surprised if it ran on the NAS and the Pi is only supported as an 'endpoint' (player) not as the server.

WESTLOWER
11-01-2017, 16:49
Thanks Marc
More food for thought..

Mopidy has a Tidal plugin and a number of neat control apps I particularly like Spotmo/Iris in a web browser and Mopidy Mobile on my Android phone.

Mopidy is an easy install with DietPi and from there you'd just need to add and configure the Tidal plugin.

Roon is expensive and requires quite a substantial computer to run the server, I'd be surprised if it ran on the NAS and the Pi is only supported as an 'endpoint' (player) not as the server.

Kit1cat
11-01-2017, 16:59
Another problem with Roone, it only supports the newer iPads. Moode will work with tidal using airplay.

WESTLOWER
11-01-2017, 17:06
Damn It!
I have an old iPad...
this is getting complex!

Another problem with Roone, it only supports the newer iPads. Moode will work with tidal using airplay.

WESTLOWER
11-01-2017, 17:15
yes i see, the point of me going this route was to try and illuminate the need for another computer to be on the link..

mikeyb
11-01-2017, 17:30
Just install MoOde or Runeaudio or Volumio or any of the other distros for the Pi and use an android phone or tablet with Bubble uPnP app and can control Tidal from that app and Tidal streams direct to the Pi ( ie: not Airplay )

You just choose whichever you've installed (MoOde etc) as the renderer (player) in Bubble and that's it.

Save you a fortune as the only cost with that setup after buying the Pi is about £4 for the full Bubble app ;)

I'm on about my 4th trial with Roon and I'm still struggling to justify the cost of it if I buy it.

Free options aren't as slick but.....

Rothchild
11-01-2017, 17:36
Yeah, I'm a recent convert to the wonders of BubbleUpnp it really is very good.

There's also a mopidy plugin (called UMPDCLI) that turns mopidy in to DNLA renderer so you can stream in to it from your phone/device too.

AlfaGTV
11-01-2017, 18:57
Thanks Mike
I am terrible with PC computers, so to get it clear I can install Roon directly on the RPi3?
and then just control it from the iPad and iPhone?

Also what is a NUC ? (sorry)

Sorry pal, but running Roon Core on the Pi is not possible. And thats where the NUC comes in, its a small form factor low energy consuming platform, a bit like a MacMini if that makes sense.
So, Roon is a bit complex and a bit more costly but well worth the effort if you like streaming as aconcept! I do! :)
And yes, you need a reasonably new iPad/iPhone to control Roon (or a decent PC)

WESTLOWER
12-01-2017, 09:11
Thanks For the input Chaps

Sorry pal, but running Roon Core on the Pi is not possible. And thats where the NUC comes in, its a small form factor low energy consuming platform, a bit like a MacMini if that makes sense.
So, Roon is a bit complex and a bit more costly but well worth the effort if you like streaming as aconcept! I do! :)
And yes, you need a reasonably new iPad/iPhone to control Roon (or a decent PC)