PDA

View Full Version : Just arrived

mickbald
08-01-2017, 21:43
New member from the Wam and CU among others.

Mostly Cyrus stuff with Lin LP12 TT.

Used to work for Ferrograph in the distant past.

walpurgis
08-01-2017, 22:28
Hello Mick. Welcome to AOS.

Were you involved in anything interesting in your time at Ferrograph? They made some nice gear in the day.

Tell us what music you like and what plans if any you may have for your system.

Take a look around the site, there's plenty of interesting stuff going on and feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

mickbald
08-01-2017, 22:49
Hello Mick. Welcome to AOS.

Were you involved in anything interesting in your time at Ferrograph? They made some nice gear in the day.

Tell us what music you like and what plans if any you may have for your system.

Take a look around the site, there's plenty of interesting stuff going on and feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

I was in the service department at Ferrograph fixing the full range. I also helped out in a junior role in the design of the Dolby circuitry on the Series 7 using FET's to try to emulate the sound of our older valve tape recorders.

Music is mostly rock and modern stuff (anything except trad country, jaz and classical) played through CD, records, Tidal and NAS.

The system, which I will detail properly later, is basically a Cyrus Signature system with a Linn LP12 and Roksan Reference phono stage.

Macca
08-01-2017, 23:09
Hi Mick, welcome aboard.

Look forward to hearing about your kit maybe seeing a few photographs.

Audio Al
09-01-2017, 00:59
Hi Mick

Welcome aboard

Enjoy the forum

Arkless Electronics
09-01-2017, 01:04
Welcome Mick. I still have a Series 7, an F307 amp, a NEAL 103 and had a few Series 6 in the past and can attest to the quality :)

mickbald
09-01-2017, 16:06
Welcome Mick. I still have a Series 7, an F307 amp, a NEAL 103 and had a few Series 6 in the past and can attest to the quality :)

I remember the F307 well. I had one in one my earliest set ups along with a Series 7 4 track and pair of Ferrograph S1 speakers. A friend still has the amp and speakers. I upgraded to a F608 (60+60). I left at about the time a few of the guys got together to form North East Audio Limited (NEAL). Malcolm Hill was one of the main designers there.

Happy days :)

walpurgis
09-01-2017, 16:31
I bought a new F307 from Lasky about 1971. It hummed like mad and had to be returned. The replacement was noisy too, so that also went back and I took a Rotel RA-611 instead. I liked that amp a lot, it was very good. Funny thing is, a few secondhand F307's have since come my way and they've been fine.

struth
09-01-2017, 16:34
Welcome Mick. Ive a Ferro f307 and its a nice looking amp. Very statemanlike.

Arkless Electronics
09-01-2017, 16:34
I remember the F307 well. I had one in one my earliest set ups along with a Series 7 4 track and pair of Ferrograph S1 speakers. A friend still has the amp and speakers. I upgraded to a F608 (60+60). I left at about the time a few of the guys got together to form North East Audio Limited (NEAL). Malcolm Hill was one of the main designers there.

Happy days :)

So what was the full story behind NEAL then Mick? I thought they started independently of Ferrograph but went into liquidation and were bought out by Ferrograph to give them an instant range of cassette decks to go with the R2R's? The combined company was later called NEAL/Ferrograph (with the forward slash) IIRC. I recall going to the then HQ at South Shields to get a manual for the 103. NEAL were later revived by Canford Audio to make the dual cassette decks used by police to record interviews but no more Hi Fi decks were made, again AFAIK.

Arkless Electronics
09-01-2017, 16:36
I bought a new F307 from Lasky about 1971. It hummed like mad and had to be returned. The replacement was noisy too, so that also went back and I took a Rotel RA-611 instead. I liked that amp a lot, it was very good. Funny thing is, a few secondhand F307's have since come my way and they've been fine.

Early ones were dodgy in the output transistor area and there was I believe (hopefully Mick will know more) a factory recall to fit more robust output devices and whilst there change a few parts associated with bias regulation.

struth
09-01-2017, 16:39
My one hums a bit if i put my hand near the top. Shielding not up to task i guess

Spectral Morn
09-01-2017, 16:40
Welcome to AoS

mickbald
09-01-2017, 16:49
So what was the full story behind NEAL then Mick? I thought they started independently of Ferrograph but went into liquidation and were bought out by Ferrograph to give them an instant range of cassette decks to go with the R2R's? The combined company was later called NEAL/Ferrograph (with the forward slash) IIRC. I recall going to the then HQ at South Shields to get a manual for the 103. NEAL were later revived by Canford Audio to make the dual cassette decks used by police to record interviews but no more Hi Fi decks were made, again AFAIK.

It's a long time ago but my recollection is that the did start independently of Ferrograph and headhunted a number of our design engineers. I cannot ever remember talk of a cassette drive at the Ferrograph South Shield factory. I moved down the road to Comet as a bench engineer and lost touch.

Arkless Electronics
09-01-2017, 17:19
It's a long time ago but my recollection is that the did start independently of Ferrograph and headhunted a number of our design engineers. I cannot ever remember talk of a cassette drive at the Ferrograph South Shield factory. I moved down the road to Comet as a bench engineer and lost touch.

The 103 and a few others used the American Wollansak mechanism...

hifinutt
09-01-2017, 17:26
welcome mick great to have you on board !

mickbald
09-01-2017, 19:04
welcome mick great to have you on board !

Cheers Phil,

We need to work out where we are going to meet up at Scalford this year :)

hifinutt
10-01-2017, 19:21
absolutely ...its coming up quick !!