PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

Spectral Morn
17-12-2009, 18:56
Hi Guys

Went to see Avatar this afternoon. Well was it worth the wait ? Yes. If you imagine a mix of A Man Called Horse, The Mission and Aliens, thats pretty much what you get and the kind of images Roger Dean painted for the covers of Yes albums and many others. Visually this is amazing, I have never seen anything like this ever before, the acting is first rate and the special effects stunning. Plenty of action, thrills and spills I give it a 9 and a half out of 10.

Go see it, either in 2D or 3D (I saw it in 2D)

Regards D S D L

Themis
17-12-2009, 19:03
I'm going to see it on Saturday (in 3D). :)

Spectral Morn
17-12-2009, 19:59
I'm going to see it on Saturday (in 3D). :)

Be interested in what you think of it in 3D. The idea of sitting with silly glasses on did not appeal much. Any 3D I have seen in the past, has been fairly poor.

Regards D S D L

aquapiranha
17-12-2009, 20:10
I cannot watch anything in 3d as I have a dodgy left eye lol. the effect just does not work on me, neither do Jedi mind tricks.

However, I will probably go and see it soon as the trailer looks good. I see the director claims it has a message about exploitation of the environment....

Themis
17-12-2009, 20:13
Be interested in what you think of it in 3D. The idea of sitting with silly glasses on did not appeal much. Any 3D I have seen in the past, has been fairly poor.

Regards D S D L
This is the new 3D, I suppose, with "normal" (grey) glasses, not the old red/green ones. ;)
The glasses are plastic and look like real ones.

Spectral Morn
17-12-2009, 20:17
I cannot watch anything in 3d as I have a dodgy left eye lol. the effect just does not work on me, neither do Jedi mind tricks.

However, I will probably go and see it soon as the trailer looks good. I see the director claims it has a message about exploitation of the environment....

Ummmmmmmmm.... Within the context of the story the circumstances are very different to whats going on here (Earth), so I was happy enough and didn't feel preached to. Frankly I am getting sick off these Climate loonies using any excuse to force their new religion on those of us with open minds who can see the so called climate changes facts at best are a guess and at worse a lie designed to gain Governments greater control over their populations.

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
17-12-2009, 22:27
Hmm, I wasn't taken by the ad for it ... It is a demo blu-berry at work though and it's on repeat all day every day on the big panny g10,. anything does kinda gets a bit tedious after a point though so maybe I shouldn't judge it to badly. I do find James cameron a bit take it or leave it for the most part.. Apart from terminator 2 of course

webby
17-12-2009, 23:50

This isn't the thread you were looking for, move along.

Alex_UK
18-12-2009, 00:09

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Very good Lee, those sleepless nights haven't dulled your wit! (yet! ;))

webby
18-12-2009, 00:10
Cheers Alex ;)

aquapiranha
18-12-2009, 00:31

http://www.harmzuay.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/regret-stormtrooper.jpg

actually I am quite looking forward to watching avatar. I am willing to bet there will be a sequel...

aquapiranha
18-12-2009, 00:33
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Very good Lee, those sleepless nights haven't dulled your wit! (yet! ;))

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/jeredhight/Funny%20Interwebs/6.jpg

Alex_UK
18-12-2009, 00:35
http://www.harmzuay.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/regret-stormtrooper.jpg

Awesome! lmfao!

actually I am quite looking forward to watching avatar. I am willing to bet there will be a sequel...

Never!? ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
18-12-2009, 00:53
I hear terminator 5 is on the cards

aquapiranha
18-12-2009, 01:06
I hear terminator 5 is on the cards

http://io9.com/5332959/terminator-5-is-go-back-in-time

The Vinyl Adventure
18-12-2009, 02:09
I saw salvation the other day, I thought it was ok.. I wouldn't go out my way to watch it again, but I have seen worse! I did watch it at work mind, whilst serving customers and generally doin work, and I still managed to follow it, so I'm not sure there is anything to indepth to it... Or maybe I just missed the subtle nuances .... :lol:

Spectral Morn
18-12-2009, 10:17
I saw salvation the other day, I thought it was ok.. I wouldn't go out my way to watch it again, but I have seen worse! I did watch it at work mind, whilst serving customers and generally doin work, and I still managed to follow it, so I'm not sure there is anything to indepth to it... Or maybe I just missed the subtle nuances .... :lol:

It was adequate, but no more than that. 1 and 2 were the best, with 3 okay.

Regards D S D L

DanJennings
18-12-2009, 12:43
I do find James cameron a bit take it or leave it for the most part.. Apart from terminator 2 of course

Have you forgotten 'Aliens' or are you insane?

The Vinyl Adventure
18-12-2009, 18:09
It was adequate, but no more than that. 1 and 2 were the best, with 3 okay.

Regards D S D L

2 is the clear winner I recon! 1 is pretty good, but 2 is one of those films il happily watch any time it's on!

The Vinyl Adventure
18-12-2009, 18:10
Have you forgotten 'Aliens' or are you insane?

Aliens is pretty good too, a bit better than" take it or leave it" I admit, but t2 is better

Macca
19-12-2009, 13:13
Has anyone seen the South Park version of 'Avatar' (with Cartman and the Smurfs) yet?

Spectral Morn
19-12-2009, 19:31
Having just seen Dances with Wolves tonight....Avatar is closer to that, than the other movies I suggested in an earlier post.

Regards D S D L

Gazjam
19-12-2009, 20:01
Great review here:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43430?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AintItCoolNews+%28Ain%27t+It+ Cool+News%29

DanJennings
19-12-2009, 20:20
Has anyone seen the South Park version of 'Avatar' (with Cartman and the Smurfs) yet?

yeah that was crackin

Marco
20-12-2009, 20:44
We're going to see it on Wednesday - sounds like it's not to be missed, Neil! :cool:

Marco.

Alex_UK
20-12-2009, 21:38
We're going to see it on Wednesday - sounds like it's not to be missed, Neil! :cool:

Marco.

(I'm guessing you were away for the weekend you were talking about with Del - hope you had a nice time!)

Afraid a 15 month old precludes me from the cinema, really, but I'm sure it will be on Sky Premier in a year - I'll drop by to this thread again then! :lol: (Note to Chris, TGW, make this a "Beyond the Grave" next December! :D)

Marco
20-12-2009, 21:54
Yep, going with Del to see it, dude - and yes, I've been up in Glasgow since Thursday. Just got back tonight :)

Have you missed me, shweety? :eyebrows:

Marco.

P.S why not get a babysitter to look after the wee one while you nip out and see Avatar - isn't that what mother-in-laws are for? ;)

Spectral Morn
20-12-2009, 22:11

Marco.

I thought it was very good. It was worth the wait imho.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
20-12-2009, 23:43
Have you missed me, shweety? :eyebrows:

But of course!

P.S why not get a babysitter to look after the wee one while you nip out and see Avatar - isn't that what mother-in-laws are for? ;)

Indeed, but I tend to use my favours for going for a nice meal, or a few bevvies - though of course we could combine the 2 - :cool:

Themis
21-12-2009, 00:02
Went to see it tonight. Not bad at all, even if the scenario is too... predictable.
Very well made, in any case. No regrets.

My daughter (13een) even cried a bit from emotion. ;)

Rare Bird
21-12-2009, 06:57
Just tell me how Sigourney Weaver looks, never mind the film

:eyebrows:

Marco
21-12-2009, 07:18
Will do, daddy-o! :bum:

Marco.

Themis
21-12-2009, 10:48
Just tell me how Sigourney Weaver looks, never mind the film

:eyebrows:
You can see her in 3D !!! :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
21-12-2009, 14:16
She looks great,especially given she's 60!

Rare Bird
21-12-2009, 16:04
I know :stalks:

Ali Tait
21-12-2009, 16:49
The film is pretty awesome too.Definately raised the bar as far as special effects are concerned.

aquapiranha
21-12-2009, 21:40
My son went to see it today. he said the movie is 'awesome' and mentioned a bit with aliens having sex! the mind boggles...

Shanedudddy2
22-12-2009, 03:57
A friend of mine posted this on Facebook..made me lol

Avatar: Humans are sent to the planet of Pandora, of which its environment requires a gas mask to stay alive, to harvest an invaluable resource, called unobtanium. Jake, a Human Marine, with the aide of the local Na'vi, becomes part of the tribe after taming a banshee. Jake then goes onto liberate Pandora, using the Na'vi, native animals and guerrilla warfare, halting production of unobtanium. Jake falls in love with the head clansmen's daughter

Dune: Atreides are sent to the Planet of Dune, of which its environment requires a stillsuit to stay alive, to harvest an invaluable resource, called the Spice Melange. Paul, an Atreides Warrior, with the aide of the local Fremen, becomes part of the tribe after taming a sand worm. Paul then goes onto liberate Dune, using the Fremen, native animals and guerrilla warfare, halting the production of Spice. Paul falls in love with the head clansmen's daughter

Themis
22-12-2009, 08:47

Avatar: Humans are sent to the planet of Pandora, of which its environment requires a gas mask to stay alive, to harvest an invaluable resource, called unobtanium. Jake, a Human Marine, with the aide of the local Na'vi, becomes part of the tribe after taming a banshee. Jake then goes onto liberate Pandora, using the Na'vi, native animals and guerrilla warfare, halting production of unobtanium. Jake falls in love with the head clansmen's daughter

Dune: Atreides are sent to the Planet of Dune, of which its environment requires a stillsuit to stay alive, to harvest an invaluable resource, called the Spice Melange. Paul, an Atreides Warrior, with the aide of the local Fremen, becomes part of the tribe after taming a sand worm. Paul then goes onto liberate Dune, using the Fremen, native animals and guerrilla warfare, halting the production of Spice. Paul falls in love with the head clansmen's daughter
Hahahaha... excellent ! :lol:

Spectral Morn
22-12-2009, 09:46
Yep Dune....could be an influence. But do you know what, there is very little new under the sun.

Emerald Forrest is also similar...just set in the jungles of Brazil.

Avatar is still very good...imho.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
22-12-2009, 12:36

Me thinks James Cameron been watching too many old Sci-Fi movies ;)

Alex_UK
22-12-2009, 14:03
That one he did about the big ship sinking - I'm sure I'd heard that story before too!? ;)

Rare Bird
22-12-2009, 14:36
Since when's Pandora been a planet, last i look it was an asteroid!