PDA

View Full Version : pink floyds the wall

karma67
04-01-2017, 20:24
ive picked up a japanese 1st pressing,cant wait to hear it! :)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/michaelcaine22/s-l1600_1.jpg

Haselsh1
05-01-2017, 07:55
Hey, Jamie, hope this sounds really good. The last UK version I bought was as flat and dull as fXXk. I have not been impressed by the quality of this album for quite some time.

Light Dependant Resistor
05-01-2017, 08:11
Hey, Jamie, hope this sounds really good. The last UK version I bought was as flat and dull as fXXk. I have not been impressed by the quality of this album for quite some time.

Isn't this, ... "The Wall" is one of Floyd's best recordings, and always impresses, ... where we came in.

Haselsh1
05-01-2017, 10:22
In fact, the recent re-release I have on CD is even worse than the vinyl with respect to overall sound quality and tone. I have no idea why the copy I have sounds so bad but when compared to TDSOTM this album is tragic.

British high fidelity
05-01-2017, 10:41
I picked up a Jap pressing of dark side of the moon about a year ago at a boot sale didnt think it would be any good and it was cheap as chips, boy was i shocked the pressing was superb

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

struth
05-01-2017, 11:10
In fact, the recent re-release I have on CD is even worse than the vinyl with respect to overall sound quality and tone. I have no idea why the copy I have sounds so bad but when compared to TDSOTM this album is tragic.

The spotify stream of the wall is very flat too. Dsotm is much better on it so its maybe just bad dynamics of the mastering ....you get that with vinyl too. Ive an old vinyl of ds and although not all that early, its probably a 5th, it sounds the best ive heard it. The sacd is not great in comparison to the original cd either.

Haselsh1
05-01-2017, 12:38
Yes, I have the SACD of TDSOTM and it is just wrong in many ways when compared to the ordinary vinyl version. I have an early barcode free copy and a recent issue and both sound bloody wonderful. My re-issue of WYWH is also incredibly poor tonally. I can't comment on mastering and mixing but something is just wrong with these albums and it appears to be very variable.

SquireC
05-01-2017, 14:16
I have a jap copy too. Very good.
I recently bought the new pressing hoping it might be better. I don't think it is, just a slightly different mix.

A good purchase, the jap copy.

GJO
06-01-2017, 12:05
I have several copies,but still,when I play it, much prefer my original UK release,clicks and scratches included,it's just so much more alive than any re-issues I have heard.

Jimbo
06-01-2017, 13:00
Yes, I have the SACD of TDSOTM and it is just wrong in many ways when compared to the ordinary vinyl version. I have an early barcode free copy and a recent issue and both sound bloody wonderful. My re-issue of WYWH is also incredibly poor tonally. I can't comment on mastering and mixing but something is just wrong with these albums and it appears to be very variable.

I have heard every digital version of the wall available and they are all crap compared with the original vinyl which is simple stunning. I suspect its all to do with the mixing and mastering. The 24 bit version is even worse than 16 bit.

rigger67
06-01-2017, 13:58
I own the original UK vinyl and the CD version in the fat, grey double case (as opposed to the slimline, normal-sized CD case) and they both sound really good to me.

karma67
06-01-2017, 20:46
it arrived to day,ive just finished cleaning it and on first listen its absolutely stunning! :)

Jimbo
06-01-2017, 20:48
it arrived to day,ive just finished cleaning it and on first listen its absolutely stunning! :)

Nice one Jamie it is simply stunning on vinyl and a lesson to all in mastering. I was very lucky to see them perform it twice at Earl's Court in 1979 and 1980! Blew my mind at the age of 16!

karma67
06-01-2017, 20:52
sweet,u2 did the same to me back in 87,before bono turned into a self righteous preaching turd ,i arrived home,bought a strat,grew my hair long,dyed it black....... lol

Ian7633
06-01-2017, 21:49
" grew my hair long,dyed it black "

Where's it all gone then?

karma67
06-01-2017, 22:16
down the plug hole mate!i i also spent 3 weeks in Alopecia!

Haselsh1
10-01-2017, 15:30
down the plug hole mate!i i also spent 3 weeks in Alopecia!

:lol:

Haselsh1
10-01-2017, 15:31
Absolutely love my eighties, barcode free copy of The Wall, it sounds superb but the recent re-issues I just do not like. I cannot understand what the hell they have done with them.

Haselsh1
10-01-2017, 15:33
I own the original UK vinyl and the CD version in the fat, grey double case (as opposed to the slimline, normal-sized CD case) and they both sound really good to me.

Yeah, the one I am referring to is the recent one in that cheap tat of a cardboard case.