PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a driver on a Rega Jura

rigger67
04-01-2017, 11:59
So I bought some speakers the other day and it turns out one of the bass units is a bit fuzzy.
I listened before I bought them and they sounded fine, but when it goes proper loud it farts and blows a bit, like it's not completely blown but is on the way out.
(It may actually be why certain tracks on that Agnes Obel CD sounded so crap too)

I looked on the Rega website and it says to contact the dealer.
I looked on eBay and there's a couple of similar looking units for other speaker models available, but I have no clue if they're the same or not.
I tried removing the driver itself to have a look on the back of it to identify it, but it appears to be glued into the wood as well as screwed and I didn't want to damage the finish.

Anyone dealt with Rega directly ?
Anyone know what their dealer network is like ?
Anyone got any advice before I start spending money ?

I got the speaker for a steal - £85 - so I don't mind paying a bit to get it fixed, but obviously the cheaper the better ..

Thanks for reading this :)

hifi_dave
04-01-2017, 12:10
Rega will direct you to your local stockist, as they should.

The drivers are mastic'd in place. To remove without damage, you need a tool, which Rega stockists have. Alternatively, you can try yourself but risk damaging the cabinet.

No idea if the E-Bay drivers are suitable. Just looking 'similar' isn't good enough for replacement drivers.

rigger67
04-01-2017, 12:39
Just looking 'similar' isn't good enough for replacement drivers.

That's what I thought and really what I wanted confirmation of the most, so thanks for the prompt reply, Dave :)

Okay then - I'll get in touch with Audio T and see what's what.

Gomers
05-01-2017, 13:58
Paul Darwin of Rega is a regular contributor over on PFM, he is nothing other than supremely helpful, might be worth a PM if you're registered.

hifi_dave
05-01-2017, 14:16
Or you could ask me..:rolleyes:

rigger67
05-01-2017, 14:24
Paul Darwin of Rega is a regular contributor over on PFM, he is nothing other than supremely helpful, might be worth a PM if you're registered.

I don't know what PFM is :scratch:

rigger67
05-01-2017, 14:25
Or you could ask me..:rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave :)

I've not heard back from Audio T yet ..

hifi_dave
05-01-2017, 14:26
PFM is another forum.

Not sure what Paul Darwin could offer in this case ?

rigger67
05-01-2017, 14:45
He could get his dealer to answer me for one thing ;)

hifi_dave
05-01-2017, 14:56
Well, if they can't be ass'd, I'm here.

Gomers
06-01-2017, 08:12
PFM is another forum.

Not sure what Paul Darwin could offer in this case ?

You'd be surprised how accommodating he is, offered to sort my 2nd hand Apollo CDP gratis a few years ago when it started erratic behaviour that sorted itself, all off the back of a message I sent him on PFM (Pink Fish Media).

To the OP, hifi dave would also seem a very sensible option.

hifi_dave
06-01-2017, 10:36
Officially, Rega no longer have parts for the Jura but they are now looking for me.

rigger67
06-01-2017, 11:48
Thanks for the update, Dave :)

Hopefully they'll come through with a spare unit because I really do like the sound of them.

hifi_dave
06-01-2017, 14:14
Jura was excellent. We sold loads of them - very good value at the time.

walriley
25-04-2020, 18:43
Just in case anyone lands here looking for the driver model numbers, the bass driver is RR7.2 and the treble driver was a Rega commissioned version of the Morel MDT30S. The bass drivers are long out of stock and your best bet is butchering the odd tatty pair of Juras that occasionally surface on Ebay. Better news regarding the treble drivers; Morel are doing a modern version of the MDT30S, known as the CAT308. All the specs match up to the original unit and response graphs look identical, so it should be a straight drop in replacement, with no crossover mod needed. Only fly in the ointment is that it uses three holes on a metal faceplace to attach to the baffle, whereas the Rega unit had four in a plastic plate. Oh, and they are over 60 notes each.