PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Linn Akito Arm for my long suffering GL75..Could be a happy ending...?

donmarrese
04-01-2017, 01:48
Dear all..reach for the Kleenex..
She's not playing the music she used to...she feels and sounds different...or is it me? Self doubt and pity?... have I changed after all these years...is it me (ears)? ..I can't explain it..Counsellor suggested new V-blocks, better cabling, different cartridge...did all that...but alas, no change. ARm I in despair?
I gently walk towards her... with her favourite piece of 180g vinyl (Can't mention artist/album...it's too personal...) As I cower over her, I turn away at the last moment, fear of rejection, lack of passion and sonic deprivation....it's no use. Were both wasting our time.
Then, last nite I dream't I gave her an uplifting gift...(not a boob job, keep it clean!) but a Linn Akito...the perfect fit! (no extra drilling or messing)!
She played, she gave and I loved it! I was skipping around my BC3's...She was back in my life..My ignorance is this relationship nearly destroyed us...thank God I didn't sway towards that cheap deck down the road...she'd seen a few vinyls in her time!
If you have an Akito to hand, pls pm me and make my GL75 happy.
Thank you
D

struth
04-01-2017, 01:55
nice one Don. :) Enjoyed that.... just trade her in for a new model with nice young firm blocks ;)

donmarrese
04-01-2017, 02:02
Hi Struth HNY
are you suggesting a young firm ittok(s)? Formula Bu=i/1
D

walpurgis
04-01-2017, 09:49
Ittok? Yuk, don't like them! Never heard one sounding quite right.

Clifford.T Ward
04-01-2017, 10:03
A Linn Akito is a great arm not an Ittok but its good ......however you need to be careful.....new it is over priced .......go second hand but again get some experience .....There are two versions the Japan made 1 which can but not always have bearing problems so check those......(the expensive mark 2 has rarer bearing problems ......the mk 1 says made in Japan and is a smooth black the rougher finish mark 2 says made in Scotland).. The akito needs to be paired carfully with its cartidge don't over tighten it and don't put it in insitu the bearings get damaged this way.

Good matching of the cartidge to the arm in terms of mass and complience is also important to get a great sound.

Remember also Linn have one piece of help for problems.....buy the upgrade!

maverick2000
05-01-2017, 08:10
I run a Linn Axis/Akito/Goldring Eroica LX cartridge, sounds wonderful, good match with that cart

FWIW

donmarrese
05-01-2017, 17:59
I've had to put her in a cage...can't take the screaming any more....nothing against that Austrian bloke though, maybe any GL75 drop in arm might be the order of the day..except the original...
looking for a tonearm that has a Pivot to spindle length of 211mm Like an Acos Lustre...any one...?

montesquieu
05-01-2017, 18:52
I put an Ortofon AS-212 on my Lenco, perfect geometry but it's a little thinner than the Lenco arm so needs a cheap adapter off ebay ... once you have that it's drop in and sounds fab.

donmarrese
06-01-2017, 20:34
Cheers Tom...

Wakefield Turntables
06-01-2017, 23:02
Alphason HR100 has the 211mm distance.

karma67
06-01-2017, 23:17
Ittok? Yuk, don't like them! Never heard one sounding quite right.

absolute tosh! the ittok is a lovely arm.

montesquieu
06-01-2017, 23:23

I have to agree, not a bad arm at all and right in the mainstream in terms of mass.

Shame so many of them are to be found on Linn's old fruitbox ....:D

montesquieu
06-01-2017, 23:23
Alphason HR100 has the 211mm distance.

Hmm HR100 on a Lenco bet that would sound pretty good.

walpurgis
06-01-2017, 23:29

Mine did not impress, no matter which turntable or which cartridge I used it with. It sounded particularly crude with Deccas for some reason.

A friend of mine had similar experiences, gave up and bought a Zeta arm instead. That satisfied him. I reverted back to my Mission 774 and sighed a breath of relief.

walpurgis
06-01-2017, 23:32
Hmm HR100 on a Lenco bet that would sound pretty good.

I seem to recall seeing one or two. Probably on Lenco Heaven.

farflungstar
06-01-2017, 23:33
The Alphason has been on my radar for a long time.... And a lot of Lencos have it.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk

donmarrese
16-01-2017, 20:58
Still searching...missed out on a Jelco SA-50 on Lenco Heaven...someone has offered me a Linn LVV 2 months use and stored for 30 years for £90...should I stay or should I go (for it)?

montesquieu
16-01-2017, 21:33
Still searching...missed out on a Jelco SA-50 on Lenco Heaven...someone has offered me a Linn LVV 2 months use and stored for 30 years for £90...should I stay or should I go (for it)?

Comparable arms ... the good thing about the Linn is that it will either have an arm cable with it, or will at least take a standard tonearm that Jelco had loose wires rather than a plug. So worth the extra IMO.

walpurgis
16-01-2017, 21:48

The LV-V is OK. It will work surprisingly well with a decent MC cartridge on it and it sounds perfectly acceptable. By universal headshell type arm standards, it tends to be a bit of a bargain. Certainly worth £90, I've seen a fair bit more asked for these. I paid more for the one I have knocking about.

Idlewithnodrive
16-01-2017, 22:07
Comparable arms ... the good thing about the Linn is that it will either have an arm cable with it, or will at least take a standard tonearm that Jelco had loose wires rather than a plug. So worth the extra IMO.

Oi !! I snagged that Jelco for my new Lenco project :)

I thought it was quite easy to fit a plug or rather get a plug fitted. Am I wrong ?

montesquieu
16-01-2017, 22:25

I thought it was quite easy to fit a plug or rather get a plug fitted. Am I wrong ?

And a bargain it was too.

You can do what J7 sometimes does with this sort of setup and fit a male 5-pin plug to the end of the wiring, which can be carefully mated up to a standard cable ... just need to be careful the wires don't get pulled. I have that sort of arrangement on my Lenco at the moment, using an Ortofon AS-212 arm that J7 rewired for me.

I've speen Speedy Steve fit a 5-pin plug inside the arm tube which is a more elegeant solution but a lot more work involved.

donmarrese
16-01-2017, 22:39

I Know Mike, and well done..I weren't sure about bearings and cabling on that one..throw £80 (or less) at it and You'd still have a good arm..