PDA

View Full Version : Tape duplication at 15 IPS :)

topoxforddoc
31-12-2016, 19:19
My 3 Billy Joel 15 IPS safety copy tapes arrived from the US yesterday. So this afternoon was spent duplicating them onto new LPR35 tape stock, so that the master can be stored.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj516/topoxforddoc/Duplicating%20masters.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/topoxforddoc/media/Duplicating%20masters.jpg.html)

Both my Sony AP 5000s have been calibrated. The new LPR35 tape on the APR 5003 slave deck was lined up at 0VU (PPM4 or -4dB on VU meters) with a set of 1k and 10 k test tones, fed in from my MacBook Air (sitting on top of my Platine Verdier). Now looking forward to playing these for real :)

Happy New Year

Gazjam
31-12-2016, 20:01
You...literally have no idea....

fantastic hifi, Billy Joel is wonderful, seen him live and he doesn't dissapoint.

topoxforddoc
31-12-2016, 20:30
Gary,

Thank you very much. I agree about Billy Joel - one of the best live acts I have ever seen too. Settling down to a glass of something chilled and Storm Front - much better than crap telly on NYE. Happy New Year!

Charlie

Audio Al
31-12-2016, 20:48
I have said it before and will say it again " you have some mighty impressive hifi " :eyebrows:

Hope the tape transfer works well :)

topoxforddoc
31-12-2016, 20:52
Hope the tape transfer works well :)

Al,

Thank you. The tape transfer was very straight forward. The Sonys are a doddle to line up, so there's no excuse for not doing that every time I record or do a tape transfer. Much better to get into good habits early on - saves a lot of grief later on :)

Charlie

337alant
01-01-2017, 10:40
Fabulous set up Charlie bet it sound as good as it looks :eyebrows::eyebrows:

Alan

topoxforddoc
01-01-2017, 21:08
Alan

Thank you. Reduplicating my Art Blakey tapes today - Moanin' and Free For All. Now Stewart has taught me how o do this properly, I am going back to redo the safety copies of my masters properly with line up tones etc.

337alant
03-01-2017, 20:59
Charlie just wondering how you work with computer test tones ?.
When I tried using a computer for tones I could never get the actual input levels to be correct so I could set my input / output levels at 1.23vac.
I find this to be much easier with a dedicated Signal generator and a TRMS AC voltmeter /DB meter

Alan

topoxforddoc
04-01-2017, 20:12
Hi Alan,

LINE UP REPLAY
Line up the replay section (retro and sync) first with a test tape and PPM meters at PPM 4 (BBC line up), the record section is then aligned.

CALIBRATE TEST TONE OUTPUT THRU ALICE MATCHPAk WITH PPM METERS
MacBook Air with test tones (files sent by Stewart) come out of the headphone socket on the lap top. These go via a stereo 3.5 mm jack to a a pair of phonos. The phonos go into an Alice Matchpak XLR to unbalanced converter. The XLR output is fed back into the PPM meters to check the MacBook output.

The test tones came from Stewart as a digital file at 0dBU (PPM4 -4dB VU). The Matchpak XLR to RCA converter is first calibrated with the test tones against the PPM meters to get PPM 4 on both channels with the MacBook computer test tones (stored in my iTunes).

LINE UP RECORD
The MacBook tones are fed via the Matchpak to the input XLRs on the R2R. The output from the recorder is then fed back to the PPM meter so that I can check the record output. I can the adjust the record levels (std and HF) to ensure that I get PPM 4/-4dB VU output on both std and high freq.

Then I bias the tape on 10 kHz test tone to suit and readjust the HF record level to get PPM4 output.

Hope this helps. Very easy with PPM meters.

Charlie

PS it looks like you snagged the RS1500