PDA

View Full Version : Heybrook PSU

abbot
31-12-2016, 13:19
Could anyone please tell me what the construction of the innards of this box was?

Did it make any noticeable difference?

Thanks beforehand for your effort.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/download/file.php?id=27449

Photo borrowed from Vinyl Engine.

shane
31-12-2016, 16:06
The TPS was designed by Tim de Paravicini, and I've yet to see the circuit on the internet anywhere. If you were thinking of building a clone you'd have problems, as one of the critical ICs has been unobtainable for years and there doesn't seem to be an available equivalent.

Having said that, it doesn't do anything particularly unique. All it is is a very accurate sine wave generator driving a power amp which puts out sufficient voltage to drive the TT2 motor, with the output frequency switchable to prove 33.33 and 45 RPM. Nearly all turntables using synchronous motors off the mains (Heybrook, Linn, Rega, Thorens etc) benefit from being given a clean undistorted sine wave input, some more than others but its nearly always a worthwhile improvement.

Nowadays, similar devices are available from the likes of Heed, and there are designs available on the internet if you care to search.

http://www.heedaudio.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=37&Itemid=555

abbot
31-12-2016, 16:36
Thank you, Shane. I was just curious. Haven't happened upon this supply before. Thanks to you, I now know what I know now.:)

AlfaGTV
05-01-2017, 17:58
Hej Stefan!
I am pretty sure i have the schematics for the Heybrook TT2 TPS.
I got them along with one of my old TT2's, a late one which came complete with the TPS.
I'll see if i can find them and publish them on vinylengine or similar.
Your casing looks a bit different though...

abbot
07-01-2017, 14:18
Hej Micke,

Almost neighbours. This isn't my psu, I borrowed the photo. My Heybrook TT-2 has serial number 0104 and should be the fourth one built. That early there were no psu:s, as far as I know. I look forward to your input, wherever you show it.

Audiovista
02-12-2020, 23:47
Hej Stefan!
I am pretty sure i have the schematics for the Heybrook TT2 TPS.
I got them along with one of my old TT2's, a late one which came complete with the TPS.
I'll see if i can find them and publish them on vinylengine or similar.
Your casing looks a bit different though...

Hi,
Did you ever find the TPS schematic, please?
Fixed a dodgy power resistor years back but somehow it is going half power now. Changed Power Transistors but didn't do the trick.
My guess its half of a push pull routine... I'm not very qualified.