PDA

View Full Version : Recording quality of Agnes Obel's Aventine

rigger67
31-12-2016, 10:27
Is it just me/my system or is the sound quality of the piano a bit crap on the first few tracks ?

I've just picked up some Rega Jura Mk.2s and am using them instead of the Celestions I was using before, but I have the same issue with either pair in that the tone of the instrument sounds strained and distorted like it's been recorded "in the red" too much, if you know what I mean ?
I'm playing the CD version, by the way ...

Does anyone else find it a bit harsh ?
I generally turn it down for the first few songs, but I prefer a louder listening level.
I may try a YouTube version and run that through my PC later, but I thought I'd ask ..

Jimbo
31-12-2016, 10:35
Is it just me/my system or is the sound quality of the piano a bit crap on the first few tracks ?

I've just picked up some Rega Jura Mk.2s and am using them instead of the Celestions I was using before, but I have the same issue with either pair in that the tone of the instrument sounds strained and distorted like it's been recorded "in the red" too much, if you know what I mean ?

I generally turn it down for the first few songs, but I prefer a louder listening level.
I may try a YouTube version and run that through my PC later, but I thought I'd ask ..

I have the CD and LP of Aventine but I would say I only listen to vinyl. I have never thought the first two tracks sounded harsh but they are recorded in a slightly distorted fashion. I believe this is for the sound effect rather than recorded into the red.

ianlenco
31-12-2016, 10:36
Hi Paul,
I've got vinyl and CD versions and I don't have a problem with either. Certainly the opening solo piano track has lots of harmonics which ring a little but I get the feeling that was done on purpose.

RichB
31-12-2016, 10:40
Yes, I think it's intentionally been given a 'raw' feel rather than 'sweet' as many pianos sound.

struth
31-12-2016, 10:42

My system doesnt like either track too. They come across as having been overly compressed, not that i'm saying thats the case but how they sound. The glass lp doesnt sound this way.

rigger67
31-12-2016, 11:14
Phew !

I thought I might need my brain syringed, let alone my ears .. :eyebrows:

Thanks for the feedback.

I get the deliberate engineering thing - it's an interesting approach to making music, but no different to any other studio treatment I guess .. more a question of taste.
Personally, I would prefer a flatter, more natural sound but still love the music.

Her other albums do sound much, much better, but I prefer the songs on this one ..

Jimbo
31-12-2016, 12:12
Phew !

I thought I might need my brain syringed, let alone my ears .. :eyebrows:

Thanks for the feedback.

I get the deliberate engineering thing - it's an interesting approach to making music, but no different to any other studio treatment I guess .. more a question of taste.
Personally, I would prefer a flatter, more natural sound but still love the music.

Her other albums do sound much, much better, but I prefer the songs on this one ..

Agnes studied studio recording and engineering and I think likes to use many of the techniques she has learnt. I must admit on Glass her recording is amazing (vinyl) and certainly audiophile quality. She can record a cello or piano in so many ways and on all her albums she uses different techniques and effects to convey the feeling in her music.

Often we use this as bedtime listening as it puts you in a dreamy sleepy state which is probably her intention.:)

rigger67
31-12-2016, 12:49
Often we use this as bedtime listening as it puts you in a dreamy sleepy state which is probably her intention.:)

Have a look on YouTube for ASMR videos .. that'll sort you right out :)