PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Berlin

funkpilz
27-04-2008, 08:41
I'm a member of the Hi-Fi choice forum and was invited here by another member (shameless plug btw :) ). It looks nice and clean, so I expect to be staying here for a while.
Cheers!

Marco
27-04-2008, 09:20
Willkommen :)

Wie ist ihr vorname, Funkpilz?

Danke,

Marco.

Chris Frost
27-04-2008, 10:28
Guten Tag!, funkpilz :)

I am not so clever as Marco. My German good is not, but this phrase I like...

"Warum kann ich keinen Fallschirm haben? Ich will sofort mit dem Piloten sprechen!"

:)

Filterlab
27-04-2008, 10:37
Hi Funkpilz!

Great username I have to say,

Willkommen willkommen willkommen.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
27-04-2008, 11:21
Hi Funkpilz
I can just about manange to read and write English, never mind German.
So welcome, and enjoy your self.
Why not tell us more about yourself, musical tastes and your gear. Always good to hopefully find some new and interesting music.

Andy - SDDW

Marco
27-04-2008, 12:47
"Warum kann ich keinen Fallschirm haben? Ich will sofort mit dem Piloten sprechen!"

"Why can't I have a parachute? I want to speak to the pilot immediately!"

Where did you get that from, Chris? When you were captured in WW2? :lol:

Marco.

Chris Frost
27-04-2008, 13:32
Would you believe it came from a football web site. Some handy phrases for nooligans abroad such as "eleventeen beers, please", and "Can you show me on the map".

I just wonder what situation you are in to use the parachute phrase :)

jimdgoulding
27-04-2008, 16:29
Da funk- Welcome. We don't get much German stuff where I'm from. I'm familiar with Odyssey speakers and electronics and that's about it. Share some things with us. Thanks. Jim

funkpilz
28-04-2008, 20:22
Well, first of all a big hearty Guten Morgen to everyone familiar with my language. About myself:
I'm fairly new to the 'audiophile' world. I only really got into music a couple of years ago, which is when me and a friend started collecting CDs. My taste is quite diverse, but I frequently hover around electronic and jazzy genres. My gear consists of custom built two-way speakers (Morel and Seas drivers), and my trusty old Denon gear. The gear serves me well, but my room doesn't do it justice.
If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Steve Toy
29-04-2008, 00:25
I'll have to say that your English is absolutely perfect. I was once a teacher of EFL so I know these things. I'll be watching my own grammar, spelling and typos from now on.

My wife speaks fluent German (I don't) and both of us love your country lots having travelled around it extensively. We spent four days in Berlin in early February of last year. An amazing city to say the least.

My favourite German city is Dusseldorf though. My stag weekend was spent there a week before I got married in 2006 and I returned there with my wife last December.

Marco
29-04-2008, 07:04
I'll have to say that your English is absolutely perfect.

I completely agree. Isn't it amazing how so many foreign people speak our language perfectly, and yet how many British people speak a foreign language to any reasonable standard? You're lucky if people here know more than two or three words of French. I'm fluent in Italian, both verbally and written, write and speak reasonable French, and have a smattering of German, which I'm currently learning when I get the chance.

We're very lazy in the UK when in comes to learning foreign languages as we tend to take advantage of the fact that English is one of the most spoken languages in the world and often have the arrogance to expect everyone else to speak our language when we're abroad. This is very lazy thinking!! No wonder it causes resentment sometimes. And we have the cheek to call the French haughty and arrogant!!

Fortunately the situation is improving with kids being taught more foreign languages at school, and at an early age, but for the non-foreign language speakers amongst us it might be a good idea when you're next in France, Spain, or whatever to study the language a bit before going there on holiday if you want to gain the respect of the locals. It doesn't take much to learn a few key phrases! :ner:

Marco.

Filterlab
29-04-2008, 09:27
...My favourite German city is Dusseldorf...

I have to say I have two favourites; Munich for the architecture, buzz and life (and the exceptionally friendly people) and Garmisch-Partenkirchen which is so beautiful
and breathtaking particularly from the cablecar (tranlates as 'Wank' believe it or not) which goes up the mountain next to it. Fantastic place Germany, must go back there someday.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen from the mountain:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Garmisch-Partenkirchen_(Luftbild).jpg

Steve Toy
29-04-2008, 09:35
Rob,

Did you take that pic?

Also, can you rezize it so I can fit it all on my screen?

Steve Toy
29-04-2008, 09:40
Dusseldorf Christamas Market in the Altstadt last December:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3011/04122007183qe5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Filterlab
29-04-2008, 09:43
I didn't take that one unfortunately as I didn't have my camera with me when I went to Germany, it was during the Oktober Beerfest and didn't want to damage it.

That's a link to Wikipedia's page, I'll try and link a reduced image size, hold on.

Filterlab
29-04-2008, 09:44
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Garmisch-Partenkirchen_(Luftbild).jpg/800px-Garmisch-Partenkirchen_(Luftbild).jpg

Marco
29-04-2008, 09:48
Nice pic, Rob. Looking at it I feel like I'm there :)

Yes Germany is a wonderful country. We've been to Cologne on numerous occasions and toured around the surrounding area and countryside, as we usually go over by car (so we can stock up with goodies!).

We've also been to Dortmund and Frankfurt, but mainly just passing through and once when we were at a Rammstein concert, which was absolutely superb :smoking: When I was younger I also toured the Black Forest area with my parents and the scenery there is stunning. Austria is another favourite country of mine and somewhat similar, although arguably even more beautiful, especially in the winter.

The best thing about Germany though is the quite magnificent beer, which in my view is the best in the world, with a quality and diversity of styles that is almost second to none. The people are very friendly, too, and nothing like their somewhat tabloid stereotypical image as 'deckchair stealers' when in places like Benidorm and other simply awful 'cattle-herding' package holiday destinations of its ilk.

Marco.

Filterlab
29-04-2008, 10:13
...The best thing about Germany though is the quite magnificent beer, which in my view is the best in the world...

There's no doubt about that mate, I went to the Hofbräuhaus in Munich one night, the sheer quantity and quality of beer was staggering! The atmosphere was brilliant, lots of dancing on the tables to the oompah band and the best bit was the waiter beer service - fantastic!

I have to say I love Switzerland too, St. Moritz in particular is gorgeous.

Marco
29-04-2008, 10:26
Rob,

Yes I agree about Switzerland, and the rest of the above!

I've often been there driving on the way to Italy. The view as you climb over the Alps to the Mont Blanc tunnel is absolutely stunning. It's a very expensive country though for a tourist. We were always shocked at the cost of hotels and eating out in Switzerland compared to France.

As a kid I used to love having snowball fights with my dad in the middle of summer on a bright sunny day, because we were up so high, as we pulled over and admired the view of the mountains and the little villages below. Then afterwards on to Italy to our home there where our family come from in Tuscany - and the usual 4-5 week break during the school holidays!

Happy days :smoking:

Marco.

Filterlab
29-04-2008, 10:42
...It's a very expensive country though for a tourist. We were always shocked at the cost of hotels and eating out in Switzerland compared to France....

Jeez, you said it mate! Back in 1992 when I was last in Switzerland a can of Coke costed the equivalent of £2.00!

Worth it for the fresh air though. :)

funkpilz
01-05-2008, 22:04
Well, I have to say I'm quite surprised how fond everyone is with my country. Sort of makes up for lack of enthusiasm.
Foreign languages are easy for people outside the UK/US - there's just one you have to learn. I for one, grew up with this one (movies, books etc.), so I lucked out.
As for places to visit in Germany, Berlin is well worth it, although IMO the people here could be nicer. The weather tends to be bad, so we're always in a bad mood. Southern Germany is the exact opposite, seldom have I seen such enthusiasm for life!
Speaking of the life, you must visit Cologne once in your life, it has both the best beer and the best people in the whole of Germany. I'm actually from Bonn myself, so I am still quite familiar with the laid back life style that is so prominent in the Rhineland.
Oh, also, my Vorname is Henning. Pleasure to meet you.

Marco
02-05-2008, 07:21
Hello Henning,

The husband of my wife's cousin is called Henning and her family comes from Bergisch Gladbach, which I'm sure you know is just outside of Köln, and she also has other members of family from Köln, too, so we know the city very well. I've climbed up to the top of the cathedral - now *that* is high! :wow:

And of course there's Kölsch! :cool:

I've never been to Berlin but my wife's cousin Andreas lives there. It's quite a distance though from Köln, but we'll probably fly there sometime for a long weekend while we're over in Germany.

Marco.

Filterlab
02-05-2008, 08:49
Well, I have to say I'm quite surprised how fond everyone is with my country. Sort of makes up for lack of enthusiasm....

:lol:

Mate, if you lived in Britain you'd understand - it's a terrible country now!

Germany is beautiful, clean, tidy and friendly. The cities are exemplary, one can walk the streets safely and I found everyone to be polite and orderly. And, of course, you have Autobahns. :eyebrows:

Oh, and if you think people could be friendlier in Berlin, try living in and around London. :(

Gromit
02-05-2008, 16:58
Berlin - truly one of my favourite cities. :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Steve Toy
02-05-2008, 17:40
I will post some of my Berlin pics later.

Iain Sinclair
03-05-2008, 09:27
:lol:

Mate, if you lived in Britain you'd understand - it's a terrible country now!

Germany is beautiful, clean, tidy and friendly. The cities are exemplary, one can walk the streets safely and I found everyone to be polite and orderly. (

The Germans like their disciplne. We British have always had a more bolshy streak, plus a tendency to run down our own country (the 'whingeing pom' syndrome).

funkpilz
03-05-2008, 10:40
Marco - my dad is from Bergisch Gladbach.
If anyone in this thread does not know what Kölsch is, I'm going to have to ask you to visit Germany this year, you are missing out on a lot.
Filterlab - I used to think the same way about Germany, but then I moved to Berlin. It's really quite a nice city to live in, but it's neither clean nor tidy nor friendly.

Excuse me should I be repeating myself.

Filterlab
03-05-2008, 11:04
...Berlin. It's really quite a nice city to live in, but it's neither clean nor tidy nor friendly...

I think this is just the state of most modern cities these days, where I live is quite pleasant and well off too. But the aggression takes some getting used too and I've found myself behaving aggressively out of character without realising it, something I have to be wary of. However there are many good sides too.

Henning; you'll have to move to Munich. Man I love that place! :)

funkpilz
04-05-2008, 06:07
Most of the cities with bad weather tend to have a p/o population. Once the summer comes, it's nicer though.
I want to visit Munich, but I don't think I could live there. I'm not too fond of Barbar...er, Bavarians.

Filterlab
04-05-2008, 10:58
..I'm not too fond of Barbar...er, Bavarians.

Hehehehe, sneaky. :)

Marco
05-05-2008, 00:30
I think the saying goes: "I love Bavarians, but I just couldn't manage a whole one".

I thought Henning might appreciate that! :eyebrows:

Henning, maybe we could meet up for a Kölsch or five next time I'm in Bergisch Gladbach (probably August)?

Marco.

funkpilz
06-05-2008, 09:19
As much as I appreciate the sentiment, I believe I will be right in the middle of moving around August/September. Can't really say as of yet.

Marco
06-05-2008, 16:45
No problem. We can discuss it nearer the time :)

Incidentally, this is the pub we drink in almost every night when we are in Bergisch Gladbach:

http://www.gronauer-wirtshaus.de/

Do you know it? It's on the right hand side as you're approaching the town centre about 500 yds before you get to the pedestrian precinct.

We've been going there since 1992 when I first visited Germany with my wife. We know the manager, Gregor. He loves expensive malt whisky, and likes to share it with us! The food is also superb.

Marco.

funkpilz
06-05-2008, 22:20
Never really been to any pubs in Bergisch-Gladbach, I was 9 the last time I was there. My memories are pretty much faded by now. It's a shame really, it's been only like 10 years and I can't even remember the names of the streets...

Marco
06-05-2008, 22:27
Henning,

Ah, I didn't realise you hadn't been back to BG for so long. Does your dad still live there?

Marco.

funkpilz
08-05-2008, 12:46
No, we moved in '99. Bear in mind, I'm still just a kid ;)