That will be on my Cinema visit list :)

British high fidelity
26-12-2016, 05:23
Looks awesome

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

wee tee cee
26-12-2016, 14:34
Trailer looks spot on.

The scene with the poor chap having an alien exit via his spine with the girl locked in the room with him looks horrendous-tickles all the inherent human fears that Scott taps into so well.

Looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.

the little audio company
20-02-2017, 08:45
Oh yes! Only just seen this trailer for the first time. I'm sure it'll be better than Prometheus, which despite the slagging it gets, I find very watchable. I was going to cancel my monthly pass for Cineworld, but might keep it going a bit longer now...

Gordon Steadman
20-02-2017, 10:05
Oh yes! Only just seen this trailer for the first time. I'm sure it'll be better than Prometheus, which despite the slagging it gets, I find very watchable. I was going to cancel my monthly pass for Cineworld, but might keep it going a bit longer now...

I thought it was only me!! Prometheus made perfect sense to me and I found it just as entertaining as any of the Alien films. I was looking forward to Prometheus 2 but it doesn't look as if this will be it. Watched some of the 'explanations' of Prometheus on YouTube and got lost in the usual dissecting of entertainment as religious/masonic symbolism. What a load of cobblers, it's like conspiracy theories, it just isn't possible for something to be there for no reason but because it was true/ entertainment.

Maybe I'm just too simple minded to understand the true nature of reality. It seems there are alternative versions, a bit like facts.

rigger67
20-02-2017, 10:17
Prometheus was fantastic.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should watch it again and then the original Alien immediately afterwards - they fit together very well, which begs the question how does Covenant fit into all this ??

I'm looking forward to this almost as much as I am the new Blade Runner movie .. and I never thought I'd say that !

Oddball
20-02-2017, 10:29
I am looking forward to them too, especially Alien Covenant !!
Would agree about Prometheus being so good too !! Sometimes I wonder if some of the watchers have either not seen the earlier films properly or at all !!
I always likes Aliens the best , don't ask me why

the little audio company
20-02-2017, 10:39
Naah, can't beat the slow, tension riddled pace of the first one. But then, Aliens is an action fest, so enjoyable in a different way - love both of them. I actually quite like the third one too (runs for cover!). Just a shame it wasn't all it could've been due to the studios screwing over David Fincher.

Ali Tait
20-02-2017, 11:24
+1 for Prometheus!

And yes, I'd agree on Aliens being the best, though I liked all the films tbh.

struth
20-02-2017, 11:27
Thought the original quite good. Didnt enjoy the others as much, but its not really me genre tbh. Not to say they arent good though.

Gazjam
26-02-2017, 09:22
More stuff released, probably the last 'pre-spoiler' marketing so I'll be keeping away till the movie is released.

https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/46ca23f3eba68321e029e23a6cdda786/204976834/Last%2BSupper%2BAlien%2BCovenant-ed.jpg
Looks spot on. New Trailer too.
Love that 'old school model' shot of the ship at the start.

EkXgRlRao5I

This and Blade Runner too?
just...take my money.

M6NTL
26-02-2017, 11:05
Remaking Blade Runner is a crime that should be punishable by death!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gazjam
26-02-2017, 11:08
Agreed!

Thankfully its not a remake, more of a What happens next... :thumbsup:

M6NTL
26-02-2017, 11:32
Ah - my bad..!!..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ali Tait
26-02-2017, 12:17
Cheers for sharing Gaz, looking forward to this. Liked to reference to the food, straight out of the original. :-)

Gazjam
26-02-2017, 13:28
Cheers for sharing Gaz, looking forward to this. Liked to reference to the food, straight out of the original. :-)

Lets talk about the Bonus situation...

Ali Tait
26-02-2017, 13:42
:D

Minstrel SE
20-05-2017, 08:03
Its not getting good reviews though and several main sites are calling it Disappointing with a capital D.

I can see this happening all over again and you wonder why I wait until it costs very little. My gut feeling is that they should have left it at Alien or ensured that a new movie had some originality and good writing.

The guy I trust on you tube says they have messed it up big time.

If you google the bad reviews you will see what I mean. If you enjoyed it thats fine and its a film I have to see for myself at some stage.

Ian7633
24-05-2017, 21:01
I watched it today and rather enjoyed it. If you liked Prometheus then you will like AC but Alien it aint.

narabdela
25-05-2017, 07:01
...and rather enjoyed it.

Same here. It's no classic, but a perfectly acceptable 'turn the brain off and buckle up tight' sequel to Prometheus.

What's not to like? :)

Marco
25-05-2017, 07:21
Read my thoughts here, from post #32: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?34549-New-Films-you-want-to-See-at-the-CINEMA/page4

Marco.

the little audio company
25-05-2017, 10:11
The first hour and a half felt like Prometheus, and the last half hour felt like Alien/Aliens (only not as good). I need to see it again as a lot of things didn't make sense, and even though I've got an unlimited monthly cinema pass, I'm loathe to pay out the money for a drink and munchies to do so.

SPOILER!! (highlight text beneath)
What was with the alien slowly 'bursting' from the chest and coming out really slowly, gradually coming to a pose like it had just won some Iron Man marathon?! Sub par CGI too, just looked so fake.

Audio Al
25-05-2017, 11:45
I went and viewed the film , bit Mehh :(

Good CGI , story a bit naff somewhat predictable

I preferred the older Alien when you only had a glimpse of the Alien then your mind could run wild :eyebrows:

I also mis a rather fit Ellen Ripley , Coor :eyebrows:

danilo
25-05-2017, 16:37
Yeah.. went and saw it as well.. against best instincts.. I took an ill advised chance.
Frankly it was a complete waste of time I will Never recapture.

rigger67
25-05-2017, 18:39
Can I ask a question ??

I posted a review I wrote of the movie and it was spoiler-free, like all my reviews. There was no link to it, just the text.

Can I ask why it was removed ??

Marco
25-05-2017, 19:49
Nothing's been removed here, Paul....

Marco.

rigger67
26-05-2017, 08:17
Nothing's been removed here, Paul....

Marco.

Weird.

I thought I'd posted a review I'd written for my column in a free-paper down here :scratch:

I must be going nuts :mental:

Here it is anyway - SPOILER-FREE :eyebrows:

ALIEN COVENANT
Sixth movie in the popular sci-fi horror series which picks up the story eleven years after the events in Prometheus. Directed by Ridley Scott and starring Michael Fassbender, Katherine Waterston and Billy Crudup.

Although Captain Scott himself is back at the helm, the first hour of this 122min sci-fi adventure really doesn't feel like an Alien movie at all. There's lots of scene setting (catching up from Prometheus), early character development (crew banter), drama (boom!) and so on, but it still doesn't feel creepy enough. Or scary. Or violent. Or even tense .. and what you really want from an Alien film is the ultimate in nail-biting, edge of the seat, looking through your fingers, pant-wettingly horrifying tension : it's why we love them.
Obviously, the original and the arguably superior sequel, Aliens, are masterpieces of the sci-fi-horror genre. Films three and four are also eminently watchable but for different reasons. They're more like ensemble movies that moved away from the traditional stand-off between Sigourney Weaver's Ripley and the monsters themselves. Charles Dance and Winona Ryder respectively make for two very interesting characters while Brian Glover makes anything he's in watchable for me and I really loved the prison setting for Alien3.

Prometheus dialled it all back, focusing instead on a lone female heroine battling one big, angry xenomorph : back to basics if you like. I love that movie. If you watch the original Alien immediately afterwards everything just clicks into place : that massive chair in the spaceship, all the unanswered questions .. everything just feels even better than it did first time round.
Which brings us to the question of why Covenant was made in the first place.
Well, putting aside the obvious financial element, it appears Ridley Scott still has some answers he wants to present to the world even if we don't yet know what the questions are.
To me, the series works as it stood before the movie was released and having sat through it my overwhelming response was that it was all a bit uneccessary. I've spoken to a few other people who've seen it and their views were mixed : some loved it, thinking it added greater detail to the creatures themselves, while others thought it was all a bit pointless and hoped there weren't any more. Well, Mr Scott has revealed already that there will be at least one, probably two and possibly four more films in the series, with the sequel to Covenant due to be released in early 2019. He's not hanging about, is he ?

The story itself focuses mainly on the synthetic android character, Walter, played absolutely dead straight by Michael Fassbender. Somewhat androgynous in appearance, Fassbender has nailed this role in both Prometheus and Covenant and here he actually plays both synths in the same movie. Don't worry - it's easy enough to tell them apart what with one having an American accent and the other sounding like a 1950s BBC newsreader, plus there's some messing about with hairstyles which also helps. It's not much of a spoiler to reveal that one of the synths has been fiddling with the evolution of the alien xenomorphs in a way not dissimilar to Dr Frankenstein himself. There's lots of lab scenes, anatomical drawings, bits of bodies in jars, that kind of thing ..
The crew of the Covenant are glad to find him and discover what happened to the Prometheus, which had disappeared a decade prior to their own mission launch.

.. and that's where we have to leave it for the plot, I'm afraid.
As usual with a horror movie, to say anything more would give the game away.
The second hour is a lot better than the first and the movie does finally begin to feel like a proper Alien picture should, though the ending is signposted way before it arrives, which again makes me wonder if everything's been dumbed down deliberately.
Generally, sci-fi and horror fans are switched on, passionate movie buffs who know their stuff, both about film-making as a whole and more specifically the canon of any given series, so what with that rather flat first hour feeling like sixty minutes of "Previously on Alien .." and then the obvious finale I was very disappointed.
I'd still recommend the film, don't get me wrong - it's way better than most of the pap on offer these days - but it could and indeed should've been much more than it was.

Spectral Morn
31-05-2017, 22:12
Saw it today. I hate movies that pick all other previous ones up and dump them in the bin, this film does that. It was fine as far as it goes, but only if the others didn't exist, which they do. So it was annoyingly frustrating.

Ali Tait
31-05-2017, 23:06
What gets me is how do the alien versus predator films fit in?

In the first of those we discover a pyramid that is thousands of years old and has an alien queen inside.

How does that square with Covenant?

Spectral Morn
01-06-2017, 06:58
What gets me is how do the alien versus predator films fit in?

In the first of those we discover a pyramid that is thousands of years old and has an alien queen inside.

How does that square with Covenant?

It can't if David's role as progenitor is correct as the timeline is now totally different.

Ali Tait
01-06-2017, 08:01
LOL yes, that was kinda my point!

narabdela
01-06-2017, 08:23
Saw it today. I hate movies that pick all other previous ones up and dump them in the bin.

Does it? I've seen all the others, at least twice, and I don't have a problem. :scratch:

Spectral Morn
01-06-2017, 10:54
Does it? I've seen all the others, at least twice, and I don't have a problem. :scratch:

Yes I feel it does, and I am not alone. First movie Space Jokey was logically an Engineer, but how can it have been as in the new film the Engineers have been wiped out before what we see in Alien + if David is the progenitor, then that ship could not have fully developed aliens as we know them to be on board, because the Space Jokey ship was old and abandoned thus probably pre dating the incidents in the new film, and if doesn't pre-date them, then where did that Engineer come from and how did he/they have fully developed aliens as we know them on board ?

For the new film to work, all the others must be forgotten about.

I dislike reboots.

The Alien vs Predator + Requiem film's + Predator 2 can't have happened now - new Covenant film doesn't support them.

Anthony K
01-06-2017, 13:56
Will watch AC tonight
Blade runner 2049 for me has 2 reasons to not watch 1 not Ridley directing and 2 Ryan cardboard Gosling. I have yet to see that effer in a film where he acts.

wee tee cee
03-12-2017, 02:38
Watch the extras-Walter has been experimenting and phoning home with the results......idle hands make the devils work!

No wonder the Weiland corp were willing to through a few folk under the bus for the weapons division!!!