PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl addict from Mid Wales

shaman
21-12-2016, 08:56
Hello to all. My name is Nigel and I live in Mid Wales. It's took me ages to actually post but better late than never!
I have been interested in hifi and music for over 40 years.
Have had all manner of gear over the years, some of which I wished I had kept.
Currently I have here a Lenco G99 t/t with audiomods arm, Garrard 301 with audiomods arm and a Garrard 401 with Origin Live arm and a Trans-Fi Salvation with Terminator arm. Cartridges are Audio Note iq3, Audio Technica AT 150MLX and a Decca Blue.
Phono stage and power amp are from Decware and I have Klipschorns with Volti mods.
My main listening is mostly Prog rock, folk, blues and jazz. But I do have quite eclectic tastes.
I have around 2000 albums.

Audio Al
21-12-2016, 09:09
Hello , A vinyl fan is always most welcome :)

Some very nice audio equipment

walpurgis
21-12-2016, 09:47
Hi Nigel. Welcome to AOS.

You have some nice equipment there.

Tell us what further plans you have for you system if any.

There's lots going on here, so take a look around and join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

struth
21-12-2016, 10:11
Yes 7 years is a fair time to wait to post. :lol: hope now you have you enjoy the forum

jollyfix
21-12-2016, 10:16
Hi Nigel, welcome to AOS. Enjoy the forum. Nice place Powys.

shaman
21-12-2016, 10:29
Thanks guys. Plans for the future?
Better not have any plans for a while, well not until I move on a few bits and pieces to free up some
cash. Will be keeping the t/t's though even if my other half can't see why anyone should need more than one!
I have a Transcendent pair of 300B monoblocs sitting waiting to be built but that will have to wait until the new year. I have a Dual idler drive t/t waiting to be put into a new plinth by Anthony Cresswell (don't know if anyone knows Ant here?). Ant did the work on the Lenco.
So thinking about it that's quite a few plans really!

stevie7v
21-12-2016, 20:57
Hi Nigel. Good to meet you and read about your gear. I'm a speaker designer (non commercial these days) and am currently working on my 'Opus Magnus' system, which is a hi-fi system for ME. (In the past I've never been able to afford my own speakers!).

My plans include a new T/T and I've recently been charmed by Internet reviews of the (modified) Goldring Lenco idler drive T/Ts and have bought a couple of inexpensive GL75s. How would you say a Lenco idler compares with the Garrard 301 or 401s, assuming each deck is re-plinthed and modified where it's advantageous to do so?

I too am planning some valve amps for the new year. I'm looking at KT120 based SET amps.

I've met Anthony Cresswell online and have had a few telephone chats with him. He seems a really nice guy and quite knowledgeable - first turned me on to the Goldring Lencos.

Your system seems great and probably to my own tastes as well.

Enjoy the forum
Steve

Spectral Morn
21-12-2016, 22:35
Welcome to AoS Nigel

shaman
23-12-2016, 13:16
Hi Steve,
Nice to hear from you.Difficult as always to compare components due to having to rely on memory (not as good as it used to be!) different ancillaries etc etc.
However the Lenco's offer the best value for money still, probably half the cost of a 401 and 301's are even more expensive.
Martin Bastin told me that he slightly preferred a 401. All those t/t's sound great in the right plinth and there are plenty of options out there for plinth preferences.
I used to have a Thorens Td124 mk2 at the same time as a 301 with same arms and both in similar plinths made from oak.
In my situation the Thorens sounded better in the top end and the Garrard better in the bottom, if only I could have merged the two!
You won't go far wrong with a Lenco and you most likely have all the skills necessary to build your own plinths.

Have a look at his site bte designs http://bte-designs.weebly.com/goldring-g99-restoration.html that is the Lenco I have here with an Audiomods Classic arm and Audio Note iq3 cartridge.....sounds great

stevie7v
24-12-2016, 01:11
Good to hear!