PDA

View Full Version : London calling

Distropix
19-12-2016, 09:43
Morning all, thought I'd say a quick hello here before jumping in with a question

From the 80's I messed around with separates Marantz PM750DC amp, Mission 707 speakers and Marantz 6100 TT basic stuff it seemed at the time although I got a good deal on the speakers :cool:

Recently got back into vinyl and the pleasure it brings, my hobby in the 80's stayed there I remember a few names and happy to see a lot of them still around lasting the test of time. I'll post my questions and see how it goes, I'm starting where I left off, newbie!

Michael

Distropix
19-12-2016, 09:49
Should add my music taste is varied, dance music is a general term but early house, late disco, disco, Northern and Southern soul, some rock/metal, bit of jazz, some classical, 80's synth pop

I was looking for a more UK biased forum as it would help with me acquiring some new/old gear. I've seen some posts mentioning quids so I think I'm on the right track :thumbs:

jandl100
19-12-2016, 09:50
Welcome to AOS, Michael.

Perhaps you should stay with vintage gear -- lots of fans of the older hifi kit here, including myself! :)

Distropix
19-12-2016, 09:57
Its the vintage gear I'd be looking at, newer stuff seems to be hyper real to me (cat amongst pigeons) and I don't like blu ray either.. [emoji33] my first post will be about what to use with some Celestion Ditton 33's they might not be long term but for now they have a nice warm sound

walpurgis
19-12-2016, 11:00
Hi Michael. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what plans you may have for your system.

Take a look around the site. You'll find plenty going on.

Feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Cas
19-12-2016, 17:30
Hi Ya and enjoy your stay :)

Distropix
21-12-2016, 09:01
Morning all

Plans for my system..

I wanted a warm sounding speaker so have bought some Celestion Ditton 33's, I'm pleased enough with them, to my untrained ear and I have to start somewhere.

Current amp is a Sony TA-FE530R and TT is a Pioneer PL-1120 with a Shure M104E cartridge

Does it work to put old with new? This company https://uturnaudio.com caught my eye the other day but if it's not something like this the TT (upgrade?) Would be a Rega 3 or cared for Thorens 160

Amp wise I don't have a plan, it was a Nad 3020 but could I do better for a similar price?