PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring DIYer

hiphopopotamus
18-12-2016, 17:58
Hi all
Lurking around this forum for way too long, about time I said hi.
Recently been aspiring to start pulling some of my older speakers apart and start replacing and upgrading parts, so no doubt you'll see me in those types of sub forums and posts shortly.
Listen to a huge variety of music, spanning all parts of rock/pop/electronic/hip hop and though to classical.
Main system comprises an XTZ A100 D3 powering some reconditioned Goodman's Magister Gs. Play a lot of vinyl but everyday listening is through tidal+Chromecast.
Good to be part of the forum.
Cheers

stevie7v
18-12-2016, 19:01
Hi Hiphop

I'm using Goodmans Magnum Ks which are the little brothers of your Magisters. I'm working on my own bass speakers using 4 modified Magnum bass units per speaker. They are stackable and I use 2 of my units as subs. I don't know whether the mid drivers or tweeters are the same for Magnums as Magisters but I have some spare Magnum drivers and crossovers, should you require them (I only use the bass drivers). Nice, aren't they?

Enjoy!
Regards
Steve

hiphopopotamus
18-12-2016, 19:47
Hi Steve, thanks for posting this, it's good to hear. The bass is exactly what I bought them for-the 15inch of the magisters reveals so much more than I'd heard in many very expensive speakers before, so in my restoration of them I just had the mids and tweeters replaced, so no need for any replacements on those at the moment.
Actually though I just picked some Ministers up on the cheap with the intention of upgrading as my magisters have been - I'll try and find out about the different mids and tweeters used in different Goodman's from that era and get back to you, thanks.
Let me know how your bass build goes, very intrigued!
Thanks
Tom

walpurgis
18-12-2016, 23:39
Hello Tom. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like you're having fun messing about with speakers. There are a few of us here who like doing the same.

The Magisters are good fun. That 15" bass driver packs a decent wallop.

If you're working on anything interesting, some pictures in the Gallery section would be good.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

hiphopopotamus
21-12-2016, 11:44
Thanks for the warm welcome Geoff, will be sure to get up pics as and when I get around to doing some of this!