PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Mansize_tissue
14-12-2009, 15:23
Hello, I've been lurking for a while but now I've finally decided to join. I'm about to splash out on my first "proper" hi-fi, although on a student budget it's bound to cower compared to most of yours'!

Anyway, I'm planning on getting:

Beresford Caiman
Harman Kardon HK 3390
Q Acoustic 1050i

This should start me out. ;)

In fact I'll probably order all of the above in the next day or two I reckon.

Anyway, that's about it! Hopefully now I'm a member I'll be a bit more than just a lurker. See you around!

Alex_UK
14-12-2009, 16:10
Bless you! And welcome - do you have a real name, and where are you from? What's your taste in music?

Presume you will be using a PC/Mac as your source? I only have experience of the Caiman on your shopping list - great bit of kit.

Get stuck in and have fun!

Rare Bird
14-12-2009, 16:23
Hi Ollie & welcome

DSJR
14-12-2009, 16:28
Hi there..

Hows about some used kit for the amp and speakers??????

Marco
14-12-2009, 16:39
Hi 'Mansize',

Welcome to AoS :)

What's your first name and where are you from?

Marco.

Mansize_tissue
14-12-2009, 18:05
My name's Oliver (call me Ollie or MT ;)) and I'm from the UK; Norwich specifically, in the east of England.

Music-wise, my tastes are all over the place! A lot of the artists I enjoy I can't pin to a particular genre, so here's a short list of a few of my favourites!

Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, Eels, Placebo, Porcupine Tree, The Prodigy, Smashing Pumpkins, Primal Scream, Beck

DSJR, I've been mulling over this idea for god knows how long but I've finally got my heart set on an amp I want. I know it's not the best, but I've found an open box HK3390 at a reduced price so I'm still getting a pretty good deal. Regarding speakers, I originally wanted a pair of RS6 or equivalent (what ever I get need to be front-ported really), so the 1050i will hopefully tide me over until I make the upgrade. However I'm hoping I'll be sufficiently satisfied by these that I won't want to upgrade for at least a couple of years or so, at least that's the plan!

Alex, I'll be using my laptop and desktop as 2 separate sources. I also plan add a cheap-ish DVD player at one point to use as a transport for playing CDs.

Cheers for the welcomes everyone!

Spectral Morn
14-12-2009, 18:08
Welcome Oliver to AOS.

Have fun and enjoy.

Would you add your first name as your signature and put your location into the section for that please....thank you in advance.

Regards D S D L

Themis
14-12-2009, 18:35
Welcome Oliver. :)

Alex_UK
14-12-2009, 21:33
Nice one Ollie - although I live in Suffolk now, I'm a Norwich man really, lived there from 8 to 35 so I always class it as home - moved here 5 years ago (love of a good woman) and still hate ITFC! Off to the Fine City tomorrow to take my Mum to lunch and my little 'un (avatar!) to see Santa (is there still a grotto in the Co-Op? lol!)

Good music taste - enjoy your system!

trane
14-12-2009, 21:38
though i myslef am a newbie here, let me welcome you too :)

Beechwoods
14-12-2009, 21:43
Hi Ollie,

Nice music taste you've got there. Venetian Snares, eh :) They did one of the most extreme, breathtaking albums ever, IMO : Making Orange Things (with Speedranch). Fire Beats floored me when I first heard it. And still does!

Any similar stuff in the glitch / noisecore are you choose to mention in the Music area will be read with great interest!

y5Zl-ngSaXk

I assume you're come across Shitmat in your travels? And the late great V/VM?

GBOhq5Z7nHE

Jonboy
14-12-2009, 22:20
HI Oli and welcome,i've got some stuff from some of the artists you mention but not to sure on the other stuff,Venetian Snares not sure i would call that easy listening:mental:

Mansize_tissue
15-12-2009, 18:31
Thanks for all of the kind words everyone, you all seem very welcoming!

I hope you enjoy your brief return to the Fine City tomorrow ;)
I don't know about the Co-op but there's usually one in the Castle Mall. I'm not entirely sure though because I haven't been in there in the past few weeks, but there's usually one every year.

Beechwoods, I have indeed heard of Shitmat, not my usual listening material but still some very fun sounds nonetheless! I haven't come across V/Vm, though; I'll have a look into some of his stuff!