PDA

View Full Version : Tube Technology 'Unisis' (Signature)

macvisual
14-12-2016, 20:49
Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone here has or presently ownd a Tube Technology 'Unisis' (Signature) valve integrated amplifier..? Or any other of their products..?
I believe the 'Unisis' Signature version has a valve moving magnet phono-stage built-in.

I remember meeting the designer Zia at a hi-fi Show in Belfast in the mid1990's, such a lovely chap to talk to, his Tube Technology valve hi-fi was/is Uber quality made..........and sounded superb on demo at the hi-fi Show!

Would love to hear from any owners please about the Tube Technology valve hi-fi equipment, cheers!

Thank you;
Peter

Spectral Morn
14-12-2016, 21:00
Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone here has or presently ownd a Tube Technology 'Unisis' (Signature) valve integrated amplifier..? Or any other of their products..?
I believe the 'Unisis' Signature version has a valve moving magnet phono-stage built-in.

I remember meeting the designer Zia at a hi-fi Show in Belfast in the mid1990's, such a lovely chap to talk to, his Tube Technology valve hi-fi was/is Uber quality made..........and sounded superb on demo at the hi-fi Show!

Would love to hear from any owners please about the Tube Technology valve hi-fi equipment, cheers!

Thank you;
Peter

Yes I had one, I booted it. Zia who designed it canned the output power way too high, they eat power valves and spit them out way too fast. Sound, somewhat veiled and a tad forward.

Personally I preferred the way my Audio Innovations made music so I sold the Unisis on.

I agree re Zia being a really nice guy.

I thought Tube Technology had folded, but it looks like they are still trading.

hifi_dave
15-12-2016, 10:27
Back in the day we used to sell a couple of Unisis per week. They were excellent and reliable. That's the good news.

Bad news is that Zia, despite being a long standing friend, did the dirty and disappeared owing me many thousands of Pounds. Since he closed Tube Technology some 10 years ago, I have had several phone conversations with people who had sent various faulty Tube Tech amps to Zia for service or repair and never getting them back. A couple of those had actually taken it further by contacting the police. Far as I know, none of these poor souls have had their gear returned.

Last I heard, Zia has scarpered to the US where he works for Eva Manley.

gerlando
16-12-2016, 06:37
I have the "standard" Unisis and for me it is an excellent amp.

I prefer it over the Audio Innovetions 500, being more refined and detailed and having faster and more articulated bass frequencies.

In general I prefer the EL84 over the EL34.

Furthermore it looks fabulous, has a small footprint and a great MM phono stage.

The only issue is for services, since they are not in business anymore.

However there is a guy in Wimbledon which can have a service on it; if you need more information PM me.

gerlando
16-12-2016, 17:47
A picture of my (standard) Unisis.

https://s23.postimg.org/6jbe6963v/TT_1.jpg

Ali Tait
16-12-2016, 18:52
They made some nice looking kit.

Lodgesound
16-12-2016, 18:57
I have one of these - must say I rather love it.

Never had a problem with it's sound quality and as for overall looks it scores very highly.

I was lucky when I purchased it - only cost me £200 at the time.

Seems they are now rather collectible - just such a shame about their creator.

Ali Tait
16-12-2016, 19:03
£200???

Rather a bargain there sir..

macvisual
16-12-2016, 19:14
(£200) --- wOw that's mega cheap....!

They seem to range second hand prices between £900 and a rediculous high £1,800. If say around £1,250 would be the average going price for a minty condition 'Unisis'.

Still hard to find any for sale if you were after one...

Spectral Morn
16-12-2016, 19:28
Ahhh well there you go. I too in the day worked in a place that sold these, and to my ears they were not anywhere near as good as Audio Innovations and they ate valves, way too much power being asked of the EL84s. Not only did I work in a place that sold them, but after the fact I owned a Unisis and did extensive comparisons, my Series 500 (early one) ate it for breakfast, both line and phono stage. I got rid of it.

After Zia's wife died, the guy who I knew died too. I am not defending bad behaviour or what others have stated - as that just isn't on.

Weirdly the Tube Technology website I linked to has 2016 on it, that usually means its active. Is it ?

Spectral Morn
16-12-2016, 19:30
(£200) --- wOw that's mega cheap....!

They seem to range second hand prices between £900 and a rediculous high £1,800. If say around £1,250 would be the average going price for a minty condition 'Unisis'.

Still hard to find any for sale if you were after one...

Peter there is better out there, don't bother.

Arkless Electronics
16-12-2016, 19:47
Many years ago, when living in London for a while, I went to visit Zia with a view to getting a job... it was in a converted barn in Hampshire IIRC. He seemed a nice enough guy. he tried to elicit some of my own ideas from me on amp design etc... he was getting nowt without a job offer :eyebrows: I'd only gone there on spec, there was no advertised position, and I left after an hour or so.
I heard a story that his wife just keeled over one day and he was so heartbroken he abandoned the business.. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this!

I (and any competent engineer) can service these and any other now defunct brand :)

Spectral Morn
16-12-2016, 23:40
Many years ago, when living in London for a while, I went to visit Zia with a view to getting a job... it was in a converted barn in Hampshire IIRC. He seemed a nice enough guy. he tried to elicit some of my own ideas from me on amp design etc... he was getting nowt without a job offer :eyebrows: I'd only gone there on spec, there was no advertised position, and I left after an hour or so.
I heard a story that his wife just keeled over one day and he was so heartbroken he abandoned the business.. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this!

I (and any competent engineer) can service these and any other now defunct brand :)

That is pretty much what had happened. The company and he and his wife had moved from London to Wales, then she died, it pretty much destroyed him. There was a recovery of sorts, but I don't know what happened after that. Not long after I spent a couple of hours talking with him on the phone, it was a very hard, sad chat.

I think we should leave that side of things now.

Bourney
17-12-2016, 07:00
I've had a couple of standard unisis and a sig model. I've done lots of comparisons with similar priced valve amps. It was the first time I heard a unisis that I decided valves were for me. They were driving some Royd Apexs and the midrange was stunning.a real 'hang in the air' presentation. Over the years, prima lunas etc came along but I preferred the unisis. It was slightly edgier and more forward than the AI500 and on reflection, it was tonally thinner that gave the impression that it had greater control. I've since had another 500 and I actually prefer the 500 now I understand how I expect voices to be presented. The unisis sounds slightly coarse in comparison.
Biasing a non sig model is a scary prospect involving tinkering around high voltages with an amp that doesn't sit upside down very easily.
I also had a pair of the genesis monos. I never got on with these at all. Powerful but lacking sparkle and transparency.
If your speakers are sensitive enough I'd consider a Leben CS300 over the unisis, it has the same taught presentation but with added finesse and looks waaaay better.

Bourney
17-12-2016, 07:14
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/bigbourne/DSCF0769.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/bigbourne/media/DSCF0769.jpg.html)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/bigbourne/soundstyle001.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/bigbourne/media/soundstyle001.jpg.html)

My genesis monos

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/bigbourne/harbsgenesis009.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/bigbourne/media/harbsgenesis009.jpg.html)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/bigbourne/genesismonos001.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/bigbourne/media/genesismonos001.jpg.html)

take5
17-12-2016, 07:29
I borrowed one for a while a few years ago. In fact I seem to remember that it used to be Steves, at some point.

I liked it, but it wasnt in the same league as the Audio Innovations pre/power combo that i had then, and I remember thinking that it wasnt as nice as an audio innovations 500 that i had previously owned.

I was borrowing it at the time of a Bake Off at my house, and it was liked that day, but again, was blown away by an Audio Note Oto, in a direct comparison.

i think you can do better, for the same money.

Bourney
17-12-2016, 07:50
Yeah I think you're right Brian.

There's nothing wrong with the unisis, it sounds like we're bashing it, it's still a cracking amp.

I've spent many a Sunday morning polishing the casework.

gerlando
17-12-2016, 08:01
In my experience and with the Audio Note AN-J speakers, the AI S500 was boomy and not articulated in the bass frequencies.

Maybe it would be a lot better with sealed box speakers as the AN-K.

I agree with Steve, the Unisis has a thinner presentation.

Biasing is a PITA, it needs an engineer to be done.

Leben CS300 is certainly better, but it lacks the MM integrated phono stage which could be very important if you play a lot of vinyl.

The Unisis phono stage is excellent.

hifi_dave
17-12-2016, 12:28
That is pretty much what had happened. The company and he and his wife had moved from London to Wales, then she died, it pretty much destroyed him. There was a recovery of sorts, but I don't know what happened after that. Not long after I spent a couple of hours talking with him on the phone, it was a very hard, sad chat.

I think we should leave that side of things now.

Zia's Wife was a lovely lady who was taken by Cancer far too young. After that, Zia never recovered or got back to the job and didn't make anything of note.

A couple of times he contacted me to ask opinions on producing products again but the prices he was considering were ridiculous, making the Unisis sell for £5K or so. During this period he virtually disappeared but kept the website going, which is why people kept sending him equipment for service and never getting it back.

Last I heard from him was that he was off to California to work for the Manleys.

anthonyTD
17-12-2016, 13:02
I have repaired, and serviced a few of the Tube tech amps over the years,and a word of warning, they do suffer from board issues, ie; stray voltages affecting the bias circuitry, however, they are quite well put together, and many people seem to enjoy their sonic qualities.
Hope this helps.
A...

Arkless Electronics
17-12-2016, 14:43
I have repaired, and serviced a few of the Tube tech amps over the years,and a word of warning, they do suffer from board issues, ie; stray voltages affecting the bias circuitry, however, they are quite well put together, and many people seem to enjoy their sonic qualities.
Hope this helps.
A...

Yeah I've fixed a couple myself but it was yeas ago now...
As to the stray voltage effects bias I'll just say Marshall JCM2000 :eek:

matador
17-12-2016, 17:18
I owned a Genesis monos, Prophet and Prophet Signature preamps and Fulcrum 64 DAC.
What can I say... Prophet Signature was amazing, one of the best preamps I've heard!
I can't say a same about Genesis monos and Fulcrum 64 DAC...

anthonyTD
19-12-2016, 06:16
Aye, :)
DSL, and TSL,'s, seem to be the main models in the Marshall range that suffer from bias creep issues, The ones I diagnose with this fault are usualy a good few years old though, and Marshall have re-designed the main board at least 4 times so I have been officialy informed, However, its a very popular model, and of course the more sold, the higher the known failiar rates reported.

As to the stray voltage effects bias I'll just say Marshall JCM2000 :eek:

Arkless Electronics
19-12-2016, 12:34
Aye, :)
DSL, and TSL,'s, seem to be the main models in the Marshall range that suffer from bias creep issues, The ones I diagnose with this fault are usualy a good few years old though, and Marshall have re-designed the main board at least 4 times so I have been officialy informed, However, its a very popular model, and of course the more sold, the higher the known failiar rates reported.

Yeah it's the actual board material that's the problem... they changed to real fibreglass boards for the output sub-board and that cured it. The problem was the earlier ones with the green board that looked like fibreglass from a distance but wasn't... bizarrely the pre section board is fibre glass in these!
The board material seems to become slightly conductive with time and heat from the output stage sets it off in run-away...

anthonyTD
19-12-2016, 13:06
Yep, :)
And most of the ones I have seen over the years, its always the left bank [looking from the back] once the board starts tracking positive voltage [from elsewhere, ie; plate or screen grid] onto the control grid, then down goes the negative bias voltage, and well,,, you know the rest!:doh:
Yeah it's the actual board material that's the problem... they changed to real fibreglass boards for the output sub-board and that cured it. The problem was the earlier ones with the green board that looked like fibreglass from a distance but wasn't... bizarrely the pre section board is fibre glass in these!
The board material seems to become slightly conductive with time and heat from the output stage sets it off in run-away...

Bass Slap
15-05-2018, 14:09
There's one here if anyone interested, bet you've spotted it already!

Does'nt seem like a bad price....

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/tube-technology-unisis-signature-integrated-amplifier--mm-phono---pre-owned-11008-p.asp

hifi_dave
15-05-2018, 15:09
As intimated through the thread, it is a bit of a liability and there is no backup at all.

julesd68
15-05-2018, 15:53
Looks like a lot of amp for the money - at that price you can afford to get it serviced as well!

hifi_dave
15-05-2018, 16:15
The pcb are often burnt and these are not available and neither are the x'mers.